Just read this, Rega Apollo 'Review'

G

RWI, I don't know if it's as simple as that, sometimes trans/dac is better, sometimes it isn't, depends on lotsa variables.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You said it AK (you joker you
tongue.png
) lots of variables as to why anyone would choose a cdp over a cd/dvd/dac combo (or vice versa).

Roll, there's a thread all about dac's and dvdp's here, btw:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum1/4005.html

I want to try out a Rega Apollo.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Apollo recently had a raving write up on aDutch hifi-site where it was described as'real,colorful, engaging, detailed, and delicate and ahammer where necessary'.

'Passing the 'analogue sounding' trite, it just nowhere sounds digital'.

'Compared to the Apollo, theJupiter had trouble keeping up with it.It still offers better detail and a morerelaxed sound, but the Apollo appeared more pleasant, fuller and more musical'.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Apollo sounds like a bargain! 'Better than the Jupiter'and significantly cheaper. I've heard it said actually.

Does anyone knowwhether a Jupiter replacement is waiting in the wings?

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jezzer wrote:

Does anyone knowwhether a Jupiter replacement is waiting in the wings?
Apparently there is something coming to replace it, and soon-ish i think. Rega will probably wait a bit for the Apollo whirlwind to die down. wouldn't be smart marketing otherwise. have seen a fewex-demo jupiters going at the moment probably as the dealers clear them out.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now that is interesting.

I too have seen Jupiter's going for around £700.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
there was some mention of a jupiter replacement on a french web site 2/3 weeks ago, but i can not track it down at the moment. I think the picture was of a planet/apollo though. (No heatsink on the base)

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah yes, I've noticed the heatsink under the front of the Jupiter...

I've read that the heatsink adds weight, and further stability, to the transport.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Audionet is out of the picture then. Damn fine lookin' machine, it has to be said. Would probably suit a valve amp.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sony6million wrote:

I wouldn't describe the Audionet as analogue-like, I found it a bit too lean for myliking to be considered as such.
I've heard Jasper's Audionet setup - sounded very fast, detailed and musical. Presentation is quite forward, a bit leanerthan some. Very enjoyable kit IMO.

I wouldn't say it sounds even remotely analogue. Very different presentation altogether. The CDP is very nice indeed and a must audition at the £2k price bracket. The integrated amp is also very good, if a little too forward for my tastes.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I saw a used Audionet Art v2 going for £1,200. Hence the interest. Don't want a cdp which is too forward as Krell KAV400xi and MA GR60's are already quite forward in their presentation. Would be overkill if source is likewise lean and forward.

E

earl of sodbury

Nice that they still supply it with a free model of the Starship Enterprise, too...

:note:Klingons on the starboard bow, the starboard bow, the starboard bow, Klingons on the starboard bow...:note:

three%20quarter%20Apollo.jpg

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
lol

when i was having the demo i complained that the buttons were a bit dodgy and non-responsive. neededa few presses before they registered. then it was pointed out that the machine takes quite a few seconds to initialise and set up. must be the new warp drive they are using.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jezzer wrote:

"I had been introduced to Joss Stone's work by a fellow audiophile recently. Putting on her cd, one can hear her lips part...."
tongue.png
Was she running??????:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
icehockeyboy wrote:

Jezzer wrote:
"I had been introduced to Joss Stone's work by a fellow audiophile recently. Putting on her cd, one can hear her lips part...."
tongue.png
Was she running??????:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao:
Genius :sw:
yahoo.gif.427f12e83b189951e0b3a226f4b02209.gif
:raoflmfao::lmao:

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I didn't actually check to see what colour the Audionet was. Might have been silver. Yes, 1.2k is a great price for a 2.4k player.

Oh yes, the Apollo's slow disc-reading. Are they using a dvd-based transport mech perhaps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles