KAB-EV1 cleaning revelation!

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
18,124
200
108
Midlands
AKA
John
The KAB-EV1 I bought from Ray70 arrived yesterday, so spent a bit of time cleaning a few records last night, most of which had previously been cleaned using the Knosti Disco. I had always been quite happy with the Knosti, but I was amazed at the difference the KAB-EV1 made, so much more detail and clarity, a real bargain. I cleaned a few of my neglected 45's which sounded awful(unplayable) before cleaning, and they really sound pretty damn good now. Ray was kind enough to send me a small bottle of Moth cleaning fluid(no not fluid for cleaning moths) which I used to start with, and it proved to be excellent. Next I got around to mixing my own concoction, 3 parts de-mineralised water, 1 part isopropyl alcohol(99.9%)and a dash of Decosol excel screen wash, which seems to work equally well and strangely, smells almost identical to the Moth stuff.
biggrin.png


 

ray70

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
2,559
25
0
Glad you like it John. I was very happy with the KAB, and I know there are quite a few happy owners on this forum. As you say, it's a huge step up from the Knosti. The only reason I sold the KAB was that I'm buying a lot of records these days, both old and new.

Work, family and other commitments left very little time to clean records. It got to the stage where taking out the KAB, connecting it to the hoover and manual cleaning just got to be too much of a chore. Hence, I've splashed out on an Okki Nokki which I should be getting later this week.

As regards the Moth liquid, it's pretty good isn't it? You buy it ready mixed - can't be arsed to buy my own ingredients to make my own.

Happy listening!

 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
8,192
4,041
158
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
johnniebaby wrote:

The KAB-EV1 I bought from Ray70 arrived yesterday, so spent a bit of time cleaning a few records last night, most of which had previously been cleaned using the Knosti Disco. I had always been quite happy with the Knosti, but I was amazed at the difference the KAB-EV1 made, so much more detail and clarity, a real bargain. I cleaned a few of my neglected 45's which sounded awful(unplayable) before cleaning, and they really sound pretty damn good now. Ray was kind enough to send me a small bottle of Moth cleaning fluid(no not fluid for cleaning moths) which I used to start with, and it proved to be excellent. Next I got around to mixing my own concoction, 3 parts de-mineralised water, 1 part isopropyl alcohol(99.9%)and a dash of Decosol excel screen wash, which seems to work equally well and strangely, smells almost identical to the Moth stuff.
biggrin.png
Apply to customs andexcisefor a licence (not difficult)and use Methyl Alcahol instead of Isopropyl. The former is "purer" cos the latter has additives like meths to stop people drinking it.

If possible use Distilled Water rather than de-mineralised as the chemistry students will tell you there are still bits in suspension in demineralised and for any experiments they always use distilled cos its purer.

Screen wash has a dye in it so if you wanted to use that surely it would be best to clean with that and a detergent solution first then the alcahol water mix to ensure all contaminents are removed from the groove.

Watch out when using any screen wash that is "anti freeze" as pure anti freeze attacks paint work so I do not know what this will do to vinyl.

If any wammers in Northampton want to clug together to buy our own record cleaner I am up for it. An ocki nocki costs £250 so if there were five of us then it would only be £50 each :nerd:and Ihave a sourcewho will make up cleaning solution using methyl alcahol and distilled water :nerd:but with five of us I would suggest we get a licence.

Uzzy

 

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
18,124
200
108
Midlands
AKA
John
uzzy wrote:

johnniebaby wrote:
The KAB-EV1 I bought from Ray70 arrived yesterday, so spent a bit of time cleaning a few records last night, most of which had previously been cleaned using the Knosti Disco. I had always been quite happy with the Knosti, but I was amazed at the difference the KAB-EV1 made, so much more detail and clarity, a real bargain. I cleaned a few of my neglected 45's which sounded awful(unplayable) before cleaning, and they really sound pretty damn good now. Ray was kind enough to send me a small bottle of Moth cleaning fluid(no not fluid for cleaning moths) which I used to start with, and it proved to be excellent. Next I got around to mixing my own concoction, 3 parts de-mineralised water, 1 part isopropyl alcohol(99.9%)and a dash of Decosol excel screen wash, which seems to work equally well and strangely, smells almost identical to the Moth stuff.
biggrin.png
Apply to customs and excise for a licence (not difficult) and use Methyl Alcahol instead of Isopropyl.  The former is "purer" cos the latter has additives like meths to stop people drinking it.

If possible use Distilled Water rather than de-mineralised as the chemistry students will tell you there are still bits in suspension in demineralised and for any experiments they always use distilled cos its purer.

Screen wash has a dye in it so if you wanted to use that surely it would be best to clean with that and a detergent solution first then the alcahol water mix to ensure all contaminents are removed from the groove.

Watch out when using any screen wash that is "anti freeze" as pure anti freeze attacks paint work so I do not know what this will do to vinyl.

If any wammers in Northampton want to clug together to buy our own record cleaner I am up for it.  An ocki nocki costs £250 so if there were five of us then it would only be £50 each :nerd: and I have a source who will make up cleaning solution using methyl alcahol and distilled water :nerd: but with five of us I would suggest we get a licence.

Uzzy
Oh dear, I don't seem to have got anything right.:shocked:

 

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
3,909
2
68
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
uzzy wrote:

Watch out when using any screen wash that is "anti freeze" as pure anti freeze attacks paint work so I do not know what this will do to vinyl.
can you imagine if screen wash contained anti freeze and attacked paintwork?It's fine to use a drop or two in solution for record cleaning.

 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
8,192
4,041
158
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ant wrote:

uzzy wrote:
Watch out when using any screen wash that is "anti freeze" as pure anti freeze attacks paint work so I do not know what this will do to vinyl.
can you imagine if screen wash contained anti freeze and attacked paintwork?It's fine to use a drop or two in solution for record cleaning.
Some cheap screanwashers do contain antifreeze that can and does dull and fade the paintwork. Because it isdiluted it does not do too much damage. Anti freezefor use in the car engine has an additive to inhibit the corrosive effects of the antifreeze.

So adrop or two may be fine, but there is no harm in treating vinyl as though it is priceless so I suggested it may be better to do a clean with pure methyl and distilled after usinganything that may have a contaminant in itto make sure there was nothing left behind:dunno:wish I had kept me gob shut now
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif


 

Logan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2005
299
2
33
NZ & Scotland
Apply to customs andexcisefor a licence (not difficult)and use Methyl Alcahol instead of Isopropyl. The former is "purer" cos the latter has additives like meths to stop people drinking it.
This is chemical nonsense and should be totally disregarded, like everything else of a chemical nature written by someone who can't even spell the word "alcohol" correctly.

 

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
643
0
0
Logan wrote:

Apply to customs andexcisefor a licence (not difficult)and use Methyl Alcahol instead of Isopropyl. The former is "purer" cos the latter has additives like meths to stop people drinking it.
This is chemical nonsense and should be totally disregarded, like everything else of a chemical nature written by someone who can't even spell the word "alcohol" correctly.
I've always thought that when spelling becomes an issue then the offended party must be a snob or see himself of better class.FYI--i was also taught that meths was coloured for this reason,--is thart allrite wit yous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylated_spirits

 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
8,192
4,041
158
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Logan wrote:

Apply to customs andexcisefor a licence (not difficult)and use Methyl Alcahol instead of Isopropyl. The former is "purer" cos the latter has additives like meths to stop people drinking it.
This is chemical nonsense and should be totally disregarded, like everything else of a chemical nature written by someone who can't even spell the word "alcohol" correctly.
So I am dyslexic but I am not stupid or rude, however,seeing where you come from there is an excuse I suppose.

In the UK when I was involved in buying for the cleaning machine in the shop back int the 70s, Keith Monks who made cleaning machines at that time recommended the use of Methyl becasue it was purer than isoprypol and also it has better qualities for disolving grease (hence better at removing finger prints from records). Also at that time I was led to believe by the industry that Isoprypol we could buy from the chemist had additives in it to prevent people drinking it.

Taking all that into account from the maker of the machine from which all others were born I felt it was data worth sharing.

Like everything in here we read and we make our choices but it really does not need rudeness.

(shit I hate people who can only seem to be agressive and rude - wonder if he thinks the same about short people and cripples?)

Uzzy:nerd:

 

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
643
0
0
[align=left]uzzy wrote

"Like everything in here we read and we make our choices but it really does not need rudeness"

Obviously logans a resentful anglophobic anglophobe,--is it because of the rugger or the cricket.

eds.

[/align]

 

Logan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2005
299
2
33
NZ & Scotland
My idea of a good internet forum is one in which people share their expertise and learn from each other. If I'm ignorant on a particular issue I ask. It bewilders me that people totally lacking in expertise to the point where they can't spell essential technical words nevertheless give us the "benefits" of their ignorance.

Thus urban myths develop, as they might if I wrote a posting on cathodic currents in pentode valves, about which I know nothing at all.

 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
8,192
4,041
158
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Logan wrote:

My idea of a good internet forum is one in which people share their expertise and learn from each other. If I'm ignorant on a particular issue I ask. It bewilders me that people totally lacking in expertise to the point where they can't spell essential technical words nevertheless give us the "benefits" of their ignorance. Thus urban myths develop, as they might if I wrote a posting on cathodic currents in pentode valves, about which I know nothing at all.
Now Mr Down Under - the forum is for people to relate their experiences. People chose whether or not to take any notice.

As to spelling, some of us do suffer from dyslexia or fat fingers on the keyboard and some of us just cannot spell. Thus without the benefit of spell check there are often typos. However, whichever way you look at it you are certainly lacking in tact and diplomacy.

I wonder if you correct peoples grammar when they are speaking to you?

My idea and many others' idea in here, of a good internet forum is where we all say what we want and people do not slag it off or are rude to other people.

It is not an urban myth that in this country, with our nanny state, that many products are tampered with to stop them being used by idiots. Wood AlcOhol was favoured because it was guaranteed to be pure and I guess because it dissolves grease more readily than Isoprypol. Keith Monks instructions on the KMAL cleaner advised the use of Methyl AlcOhol in preference.

Now my expert secretarial friend if you cannot be nice please say nothing and if you cannot say nothing then may I suggest you leave this forum to frequent one thatsatisfies your ideals.

Oh and just in case the that last paragraphwas incomprehensible to you either through some grammatical or spelling error it translates as piss off nicely :note:

Uzzy:nerd:

 

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
18,124
200
108
Midlands
AKA
John
uzzy wrote:

Logan wrote:
My idea of a good internet forum is one in which people share their expertise and learn from each other. If I'm ignorant on a particular issue I ask. It bewilders me that people totally lacking in expertise to the point where they can't spell essential technical words nevertheless give us the "benefits" of their ignorance. Thus urban myths develop, as they might if I wrote a posting on cathodic currents in pentode valves, about which I know nothing at all.
Now Mr Down Under - the forum is for people to relate their experiences.  People chose whether or not to take any notice.

As to spelling, some of us do suffer from dyslexia or fat fingers on the keyboard and some of us just cannot spell.  Thus without the benefit of spell check there are often typos.  However, whichever way you look at it you are certainly lacking in tact and diplomacy.

I wonder if you correct peoples grammar when they are speaking to you?

My idea and many others' idea in here, of a good internet forum is where we all say what we want and people do not slag it off or are rude to other people.

It is not an urban myth that in this country, with our nanny state, that many products are tampered with to stop them being used by idiots.  Wood AlcOhol was favoured because it was guaranteed to be pure and I guess because it dissolves grease more readily than Isoprypol.  Keith Monks instructions on the KMAL cleaner advised the use of Methyl AlcOhol in preference.

Now my expert secretarial friend if you cannot be nice please say nothing and if you cannot say nothing then may I suggest you leave this forum to frequent one that satisfies your ideals. 

Oh and just in case the that last paragraph was incomprehensible to you either through some grammatical or spelling error it translates as piss off nicely :note:

Uzzy:nerd:
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif


 
G

Guest

Guest
Two things .

Courtesy and politeness are key here plus no-one is required to spell correctly. Pulling people up for spelling is bad form especially when its not done tongue in cheek.

Swearing at people is also uncalled for.

So thats enough of that please gents.

 

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
1,475
5
0
Herts
AKA
Unknown
Logan wrote:

Thus urban myths develop, as they might if I wrote a posting on cathodic currents in pentode valves, about which I know nothing at all.
I fail to see why you feel it is necessary to bring religion into this

 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
109,296
Messages
2,317,172
Members
69,449
Latest member
Louis_067