Linn Owners

KANDID VS KRYSTAL

Rille

Wammer
Jan 6, 2020
The Kandid undoubtedly has its qualities that make it a fascinating cartridge.

Personally, however, after 8 years and 3 Kandids I would no longer like to have a Kandid.

As an interim solution, I mounted the AT-OC9XML on the EkosSE/1 and I am very surprised at what this system can do. It can do some things that a Kandid can't. Compared to the Kandid, it lacks a bit of dynamics, which dampens the pleasure a bit when listening quietly. With the 75 ohms of the Urika1, the impedance is a little too low for this cartridge.

Linn derives the Koil from the AT-OC9XML. I could imagine that Linn could remedy the losses described above by making slight adjustments.

My recommendation would be to consider the Koil as another alternative to the Kandid or Krystal. For me, there is no way back to the Kandid.

Reactions: llatpoh

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Kandid undoubtedly has its qualities that make it a fascinating cartridge.

Personally, however, after 8 years and 3 Kandids I would no longer like to have a Kandid.

As an interim solution, I mounted the AT-OC9XML on the EkosSE/1 and I am very surprised at what this system can do. It can do some things that a Kandid can't. Compared to the Kandid, it lacks a bit of dynamics, which dampens the pleasure a bit when listening quietly. With the 75 ohms of the Urika1, the impedance is a little too low for this cartridge.

Linn derives the Koil from the AT-OC9XML. I could imagine that Linn could remedy the losses described above by making slight adjustments.

My recommendation would be to consider the Koil as another alternative to the Kandid or Krystal. For me, there is no way back to the Kandid.
Maybe try a Kendo. It should be an interesting alternative. I haven't heard one yet myself.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tendaberry

llatpoh

Wammer
Wammer
May 27, 2022
The Free State Of Texas, USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I could imagine that Linn could remedy the losses described above by making slight adjustments.
I run my AT-OC9XML at 120 ohms and it doesn't lack in the dynamics department, I find so much VFM in the AT-OC9XML/RB3000 pairing that I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon, perhaps AT-OC9XSL when the time comes.

13th Duke of Wymbourne

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
Dana Point, Ca
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use an AT-OC9 mkII that has a couple of years use so I am considering the OC9XML as a replacement (AT give 30% trade-in and the ML has the cool Iron Man colors). I use a transimpedance phono amp, which presents almost 0 ohms loading and that works very well.

Reactions: Rille

Rille

Wammer
Jan 6, 2020
Maybe try a Kendo. It should be an interesting alternative. I haven't heard one yet myself.
The AT and Koil, as well as the Ekstatik, have a MicroLine/
MicroRidge diamond, which for me brings an impressive resolution. The Kendo does not have this stylus.

Personally, I don't think the Kendo is really an alternative for me. I mounted the AT-OCX9ML because I have been waiting for the repair of my Ekstatik for 3 months. While trying to slide the needle guard, which is far too stiff, onto the system. I jammed it and broke off the needle carrier.

This mishap is certainly my responsibility. However, I find it outrageous that Linn does not contact me at all.

Are the rumours true that the design of the Ekstatik is being changed because this mishap has probably already happened to several people?

Sorry for off topic

Rille

Wammer
Jan 6, 2020
I run my AT-OC9XML at 120 ohms and it doesn't lack in the dynamics department, I find so much VFM in the AT-OC9XML/RB3000 pairing that I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon, perhaps AT-OC9XSL when the time comes.
Thank you very much for confirming my assumption. AT specifies at least 100 ohms as the impedance value.

Peter_P

Music makes the world a better place.
Wammer
Nov 12, 2018
Bielefeld, Germany
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
@Rille
At the end of January there was an information from Linn for the dealers:

”Shipment of Ekstatik and Kendo will recommence imminently, […] . Also, both Ekstatik and Kendo will now ship with an improved, safer stylus guard with orientation marks and an easier fit to minimise risk of accidental damage.”

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just got a used Kandid as well. I havent bothered to install it as yet and I’m glad as it sounds like I might not be good enough to set it up right. Luckily the friend gave it to me for free.

My arm is still a fully serviced Akito/1 (with a ATVM95ML) from AO but I’m hoping to update the arm and then have the cartridge installed. Trying to score an ekos SE/1

Since I’m here I might as well ask this question as well. I do have a Linto in the cupboard and that is what im
Planning to use as a phono preamp when I move to a MC cartridge.

Is the Linto good enough to start an MC journey?

Is it true that linn phono preamps are only suitable for linn cartridges. I doubt i’ll ever spend kandid money as the TT is used less compared to streaming.

So maybe a universal phono preamp with MM/MC abilities is a better choice.

13th Duke of Wymbourne

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
Dana Point, Ca
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From the Stereophile review of the the Sutherland Little Loco transimpedance phono amp
"The combination of the Little Loco and the $500 AT-OC9ML/II sounded as good as a $20,000 combination of my experience, in nearly every way—and better in some"

llatpoh

Wammer
Wammer
May 27, 2022
The Free State Of Texas, USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
TZ Vibe and AT-OC9XML would be the value proposition, I'm curious about how those two would pair up, being the same trans impedance input gain stage as the Little Loco compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The AT and Koil, as well as the Ekstatik, have a MicroLine/
MicroRidge diamond, which for me brings an impressive resolution. The Kendo does not have this stylus.
MicroLine (or Microlinear as Linn refers to it on the Koil) is not the same as Micro Ridge. The Ekstatik uses a Micro Ridge, as do some Dynavectors like the DV20X2, and other cartridges. The Kandid and others from Linn do not. The Ekstatik is the first and only cartridge on which Linn has chosen to use the Micro Ridge, which has a unique profile. As to the others there are all kinds of variations on the fine line stylus shape and they have all kinds of names such as Microlinear on the Koil, Super Fine Line on the Kendo, Gyger II on the Adikt, Line contact on the Kandid and the list goes on and on. What they all have in common is a narrower and longer contact patch with the vinyl groove than regular ellipticals, so the Kandid, Koil and Kendo styli are more similar than any of them are to the Ekstatik. But I'm quite sure you wouldn't get any agreement as to which of the many variants is more musical. There are also Shibata and the Ortofon Replicant which are more wedge shaped, so more similar to the shape of a cutting stylus. Again it is questionable whether it is better or not and they are also mainly designed to have a narrower and longer contact patch. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Reactions: Wenge1 and 9designs

9designs

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me I don’t care what shape they are, if they sound good then great.
I have both a Kandid on an SE/1 and a Krystal on an Ekos2, have to say been impressed so far how good the Krystal is.
Considering I got it from Peter as second hand at about 1/3 of the price I’m well pleased.
Would I splash out on another Kandid when it’s worn, maybe not, Kendo would be good compare.

Reactions: arm and ThomasOK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles