keep coming back to these

geraint

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2007
, ,
Hi

been looking for a "cheap", "beginner" SLR and keep coming back to these, not sure if this is the marketing or whether these are good. Are they good? Is there any real difference between them? Both probably much better than my compact, but if any one has any comments would like to hear them. I usually take landscape and close up.

I have had a brief play with the cannon and the controls did feel a little small.

Canon EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera (inc. 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC III Lens Kit) £279.95

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD £289

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
both excellent. The D3200 is a step up, but if the older ones do what you need go with whichever feels most comfy is all. Pic quality will be virtually identical. When you have some spare cash, the Nikon 55-200 VR zoom is silly value. I have read of several pro's who use this as a working lens.

gjm

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Grays have a couple of s/h Nikon D80 bodies for sale for well under 200 quid. I had one and found it to be absolutely superb.

It's not the latest and greatest, but for the money I really believe you can't go wrong. That price is body only, but talk to them and I'm sure they will do a package deal on a body and lens (and probably some accessories).

(Apologies for punting a Nikon over a Canon - it's my preference. :) )

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They both review very well and although there are minor technical differences between them they are both eminently capable of producing excellent results. The VR lens on the Nikon and the extra pixels may give the 3100 a small advantage but frankly with a gnats whisker between them go with the one that feels best in your hand.

gjm

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
... go with the one that feels best in your hand.
Excellent advice. This is why I went Nikon rather than Canon - the Canon just did not sit comfortably in my hand, while the Nikon was an instant comfortable and snug fit.

YMMV, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online