mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
1955.jpg

£70K, limited production to 100 pairs, enclosures made from super-formed aluminium and Robbie Williams has apparently ordered a pair. Aesthetics by Ross Lovegrove (also Sony Walkman and iMac).

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
mosfet wrote:

£70K, limited production to 100 pairs, enclosures made from super-formed aluminium and Robbie Williams has apparently ordered a pair. Aesthetics by Ross Lovegrove (also Sony Walkman and iMac).
spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif
If ever there was a reason not to buy something...........

A

Alex A

So Robbie Williams has dropped his exclusive PMC endorsement then?
tongue.png
An even better reason not to buy would be if Wayney boy ordered some. Or perhaps the fact that they cost £70k.

The looks don't do anything for me. At least other hideously expensive speakers take more of a strict form follows functionapproach to their particularphilosophies (think B&W Nautilus, Wilson X-2, SF Guarneri, Gryphon Poseidon,massive custom horn jobs etc). This is just a big blinging chromed monstrosity, which would look out of place anywhere but a huge minimalist open plan trendy warehouse apartment.

I remember a while back reading an article about the rise in price of top end speakers. Starting with the Infinity IRS and Wilson, manufacturers more recently have followed suit just for the sake of taking a piece of the market, regardless of whether they're actually capable of producing a speaker that's good enoughto merit such an inflated price tag. From all my experienceI can't imagine KEF seriously competing with the traditional esoteric big boys. Sure it's an impressive engineering feat with that cabinet. In go a load of pretty ordinary looking KEF drivers. So what is it then? A lifestyle product for the insanely rich.*

*NB. Having not heard these, obviously, don't take my remarks at all seriously. Purely my impression.

Note

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
they are a piece of interesting aesthetic design that will probably fit well in the 'cribs' style housing of the rich and famous.

Seems a bit odd to say, but 70K seems pretty 'reasonable' to me considering the target audience.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Biscuit wrote:

Seems a bit odd to say, but 70K seems pretty 'reasonable' to me considering the target audience.
I doubt Robbie will pay for his speakers will get his for free, most he will have to do is stand next to a pair

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
I like ‘em – not that I’m ever going to own a pair without a radical injection of serious money into my bank account. There’s some comments from KEF acoustics engineer Dr Andrew Watson which explain the motivation behind the manufacture of these loudspeakers:

“It's an enhancement of the brand, an off-the-wall design that will attract people who may not have considered KEF before. Our aim is to get ourselves in touch with that market so they can see who we are and what we can do. They're not necessarily audiophiles, but they are lovers of music and they want the best in technology and design.â€

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
mosfet wrote:

I like ‘em – not that I’m ever going to own a pair without a radical injection of serious money into my bank account. There’s some comments from KEF acoustics engineer Dr Andrew Watson which explain the motivation behind the manufacture of these loudspeakers:“It's an enhancement of the brand, an off-the-wall design that will attract people who may not have considered KEF before. Our aim is to get ourselves in touch with that market so they can see who we are and what we can do. They're not necessarily audiophiles, but they are lovers of music and they want the best in technology and design.â€
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alex_A wrote:

So Robbie Williams has dropped his exclusive PMC endorsement then?
tongue.png
An even better reason not to buy would be if Wayney boy ordered some. Or perhaps the fact that they cost £70k.The looks don't do anything for me. At least other hideously expensive speakers take more of a strict form follows functionapproach to their particularphilosophies (think B&W Nautilus, Wilson X-2, SF Guarneri, Gryphon Poseidon,massive custom horn jobs etc). This is just a big blinging chromed monstrosity, which would look out of place anywhere but a huge minimalist open plan trendy warehouse apartment.

I remember a while back reading an article about the rise in price of top end speakers. Starting with the Infinity IRS and Wilson, manufacturers more recently have followed suit just for the sake of taking a piece of the market, regardless of whether they're actually capable of producing a speaker that's good enoughto merit such an inflated price tag. From all my experienceI can't imagine KEF seriously competing with the traditional esoteric big boys. Sure it's an impressive engineering feat with that cabinet. In go a load of pretty ordinary looking KEF drivers. So what is it then? A lifestyle product for the insanely rich.*

*NB. Having not heard these, obviously, don't take my remarks at all seriously. Purely my impression.

Note
I think that Kef were one of the better producers of high quality speakers in the past, with very competitive speakers usualy costing less than the other quality brand flagships. Plenty of their Reference ranges were a lot more coherent from top to bottom than some of the overpriced US competition.

Not sure what happened to them though, maybe its the way some UK manufacturers seem stuck in the old days ?

I do think these look more like an attemp at a slice of the market pie than inovative design concept for the benefit of reproducing music.

Then again, its always been about looks and overpricing..........

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
enjoy_the_music wrote:

Just taking advantage of the city boys.
That's fair enough, I think.

... and maybe the city boys will buy some decent kit to drive them.

It raises the profile of the industry, but not necessarily in a good way - viz. the tabloids will scream (with a pickie of our Robbie W standing proudly by them) "it costs £70k for a decent set of audiophile speakers these days ... hahaha, smirk"

S

sq225917

as a bit of sculpture i kinda like them, but if i had 70k to spend on speakers youcan be sure i'd rather spend it on a set for 1/10 of that price and enjoy the rest of the cash.

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
pretty bloody ugly I reckon

dont see point in robbie williams owning any - it's not like he'd listen to anything decent through them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles