Koil or Krystal

ashhadk

Wammer
Feb 25, 2023
Dubai
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi guys,

Upgrading the LP12 and wondering if I should go with Koil or Kristal? Everything above Kristal is out budget.

The LP12, has Lingo 4, Kore & the Jelco arm.

Koil definitely sounds better than the Adikt, wondering if Kristal is worth the extra $900 over Koil.

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Krystal is really very good, I'd do it. That's what I thought until I saw the Jelco arm. In that case I'd get the Koil and save the rest towards a better arm or a (used) Radikal.

ashhadk

Wammer
Feb 25, 2023
Dubai
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Krystal is really very good, I'd do it. That's what I thought until I saw the Jelco arm. In that case I'd get the Koil and save the rest towards a better arm or a (used) Radikal.
Interesting, will the arm not do it justice? Can you help me understand more?

13th Duke of Wymbourne

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
Dana Point, Ca
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A relevant question (IMHO) is whether the Koil is worth nearly double the price over the stock AT-OC9XML? Yes, Linn did have the design tweaked but is that worth the extra 400GBP or could you live with the stock version and put that 400quid towards other upgrades?

llatpoh

Wammer
Wammer
May 27, 2022
The Free State Of Texas, USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So why do they sound different???
I can't say for sure, a fair comparison is unlikely since it would be extremely difficult to replicate all adjustments from one cartridge to another. Also, I can see confirmation bias playing a role from those who payed the steep paint job premium.

ashhadk

Wammer
Feb 25, 2023
Dubai
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So here’s the situation in a bit more detail.
I paid for Lingo, Kore & Koil to qualify for free Utopik upgrade on my ASH, approx. £3200.

But for an extra £700 I can upgrade the Koil to Kristal vs If I were to get Kristal alone in the future and it would cost much more.

Considering all the debate on Koil wondering if that incremental £700 is worth it at this point? The arm I’ll change eventually when they come up with other interesting offers.

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good clarification and Utopik is great for Akurate products :)
Having heard the Majik LP12 (Cirkus) with the Project arm and Jelco arm, the Project is the worst part, not the PSU. Jelco arm is quite good. Obviously a Akito 3 is better for a approx 500 gbp price difference in the used marked and way to go.
Given your situation I would go for the deal with the Krystal (not talking down the Koil but due to the deal).

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
So here’s the situation in a bit more detail.
I paid for Lingo, Kore & Koil to qualify for free Utopik upgrade on my ASH, approx. £3200.

But for an extra £700 I can upgrade the Koil to Kristal vs If I were to get Kristal alone in the future and it would cost much more.

Considering all the debate on Koil wondering if that incremental £700 is worth it at this point? The arm I’ll change eventually when they come up with other interesting offers.
If you can save up for an Ekos 2 / Akito 3 / Arko over the next year or so then defo get the Krystal. I’d stick with Adikt than bother with Koil in your scenario (on musicality grounds) - had all three and although the Koil sounds clearer I think I enjoyed the Adikt more.

Check with Linn but Ekos arms above a certain serial number (which I forget) are still serviceable, or were about a year ago. I know aesthetics are not really important but an Ekos always looks the business!

EDIT: Just noticed the time lag. What did you do in the end?

Last edited:

ashhadk

Wammer
Feb 25, 2023
Dubai
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can save up for an Ekos 2 / Akito 3 / Arko over the next year or so then defo get the Krystal. I’d stick with Adikt than bother with Koil in your scenario (on musicality grounds) - had all three and although the Koil sounds clearer I think I enjoyed the Adikt more.

Check with Linn but Ekos arms above a certain serial number (which I forget) are still serviceable, or were about a year ago. I know aesthetics are not really important but an Ekos always looks the business!

EDIT: Just noticed the time lag. What did you do in the end?
Ordered the Krystal, now the dealer is trying to give me a deal on the Akubariks. Decisions, decisions 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles