Kraftwerk reissue - is it worth the cash?

leenorris78

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 1, 2009
London - SE23 -HOP
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi all,

I see there is a Kraftwerk reissue. There are eight albums. Its a re-release of the remastered cd's from 2009.

https://bleep.com/kraftwerk-reissues?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Kraftwerk+Reissues+%2F+Limited+Edition+Coloured+Vinyl+%2F+Pre-Order+Now&utm_campaign=Kraftwerk+Reissues&vgo_ee=g2cBCEcVVN3XSaOoMhwf%2FgbtOeHSGxbJq%2B2k9KfQ%2FR8%3D

But it is £200!

I own no Kraftwerk and I love electronic music. I had a listen to the clips and I like what I hear. Would you spend £200 on this box set?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wouldn't, but that's because I've got most of them on vinyl already. The one thing that would put me off, and that would make me want to wait for a few decent reviews first, is the coloured vinyl. Maybe I've been unlucky, but almost everything I've bought on coloured vinyl has not sounded as good as on 'normal' vinyl. I've got a few LPs where I've bought the 'remastered' version and it's come as bright blue, red or yellow and actually sounds worse than the original non-remastered version. I don't know enough about the chemistry, but I assume there's a good reason for vinyl not mostly to be pretty colours.

That said, I do have a couple that are excellent, so maybe it's just bad luck.

Reactions: leenorris78

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My experiences are the same with coloured vinyl quite often suffering from surface noise and dull sound. Personally I don't think Kraftwerk would allow poor quality recordings to be produced let alone sold.

I purchased the Kraftwerk vinyl and cd boxsets at The Albert Hall at their 3D concert but not coloured vinyl and the sound quality is just outstanding I would expect the same with this new boxset they know their stuff thats for sure.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe wait for a few reviews like Rabski said could be a safe bet too👍

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
If you are thinking vinyl, I haven't heard the very latest box set but I much prefer the original albums over the 2009 remasters which sound a bit soft and lacking snap.

The Computer World first pressing I have is outstanding and exciting to listen to as it has so much energy. And the Capitol release of TEE and the EMI gatefold of Electric Cafe is similarly high impact. Compared to these the 2009 version of The Man Machine and Radioactivity lack vitality and sound a little leaden.  And when I listen to the 45 12" of The Model and Spacelab, the difference is stark, these have the upfront energy of the early lp releases and are very different to the 2009 release which just don't nail the infectious rhythm that makes Kraftwerk so compelling.

You can probably get away with a 2009 version  of Autobahn as the original first pressing LP  has that typical early 70s warmth and the music is lower tempo anyway.

But I can highly recommend the 2009 2 LP release of Tour de France soundtracks, it is sublime.

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've only got a few of the originals, but not sure from what I've read the remasters are worth dropping money on a 2nd time.

only thing to consider is that you might get an early good pressing off the new run if that's something you hunt down.

certainly worth buying into some of their stuff if you don't have anything, not sure i'd drop this much in 1 go to see if I liked it though :)

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/are-you-still-enjoying-the-2009-kraftwerk-remasters.777631/

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/kraftwerk-colored-vinyl-albums-rerelease.994066/

Last edited by a moderator:

leenorris78

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 1, 2009
London - SE23 -HOP
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've only got a few of the originals, but not sure from what I've read the remasters are worth dropping money on a 2nd time.

only thing to consider is that you might get an early good pressing off the new run if that's something you hunt down.

certainly worth buying into some of their stuff if you don't have anything, not sure i'd drop this much in 1 go to see if I liked it though :)

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/are-you-still-enjoying-the-2009-kraftwerk-remasters.777631/

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/kraftwerk-colored-vinyl-albums-rerelease.994066/
The opinions on the above threads seems quite mixed. Some lovers and some preferring originals. I have had a quick look on eBay and Discogs and it seems that those original pressings are worth more than I like to pay for a record.

I have just seen the 2009 reissue (Catalogue) is still available on black vinyl from amazon for £119. Whilst most of the tracks appear to have the same name, the track listing is in a different order.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The only one of the 2009 lot I have is The Mix, which I have to say is pretty good (and on black vinyl). That's another good 'starter', as there's a good selection of tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idlewithnodrive

You should hear our version of Louie Louie
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My experiences are the same with coloured vinyl quite often suffering from surface noise and dull sound
I buy a lot of vinyl and have a good deal of both excellent coloured vinyl and poor black vinyl.

As always I believe that sound quality is down to the recording and mastering more than anything else.

leenorris78

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 1, 2009
London - SE23 -HOP
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
The opinions on the above threads seems quite mixed. Some lovers and some preferring originals. I have had a quick look on eBay and Discogs and it seems that those original pressings are worth more than I like to pay for a record.

I have just seen the 2009 reissue (Catalogue) is still available on black vinyl from amazon for £119. Whilst most of the tracks appear to have the same name, the track listing is in a different order.
Now I understand. The 3d catalogue is the live shows. Each album played live but slightly redesigned.

I like albums. Listening to the exerps from bleep I like Kraftwerk and I like the track I have never heard before even more than the stuff I know. I like minimaL stuff.

As recommended, I'll see what the reviews are like and if I'm lucky enough to source one after everyone wants a copy, I look forward to that.

Christmas is coming!

adrianjones

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 3, 2015
Blackpool
AKA
Adrian
I've been a fan of Kraftwerk since 1980 and have lots of original vinyl. Sound quality is top notch. I tried the 2009 remaster of Computer world and found it dull, rolled off, flat. The best LP of theirs for sound that I own is a German Re press, German version Radio Activitat.

I also avoid coloured vinyl whenever possible as it is usually a downgrade on sound quality, sometimes noisy also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online