Leak Stereo 20 owners, what Pre do you use?

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi folks,

I've arranged to buy the fully restored, pristine Leak ST20 on PFM and have to say I am quite excited to get it into my living room and on the end of my ART's, which are very efficient.

I don't have a Pre at all. I understand the Leak ST20 can be very quick to top whack for noise, also that they can be very microphonic and this can be an issue and therefore a passive Pre is better.

Ideally I'd like a Pre with a remote volume control.
If you you've got a Leak ST20, or experience of these, what do you/did you use please for your Pre?

Ideally, not costing as much as a small country too 😉.

Someone on PFM has suggested a Khozmo is a decent passive pre (and incredibly kindly has offered to lend me his spare one 👍). So I'll have something to get me started, but I'd obviously like to learn about what's best and line up my own Pre, asap.

Thanks,

Last edited:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it's a standard Stereo 20 the 'problem' is not noise, but that the input sensitivity is very high. An active preamp with gain will almost always have too much gain. The very best passives are (IME and to my ears) the Music First transformer ones, but they're serious money.

Of all the 'normal' passives using stepped attenuators, the Khozmo is decent, but the NVA one is a bit of a sleeper and worth a try. Sensible money and well made.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks chaps.

I actually spotted earlier another post from @savvypaul of NVA offering a kit borrow to Wammerplus members and one package had a Pre as part of it.

Paul, when I pick this up I might give you a shout to please borrow and try against the Khozmo for a little play? Obvs, if I like it then I'd likely I'd buy one from you.

Reactions: garn63 and rabski

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it's a standard Stereo 20 the 'problem' is not noise, but that the input sensitivity is very high. An active preamp with gain will almost always have too much gain. The very best passives are (IME and to my ears) the Music First transformer ones, but they're serious money.

Of all the 'normal' passives using stepped attenuators, the Khozmo is decent, but the NVA one is a bit of a sleeper and worth a try. Sensible money and well made.
+1

I have a MFA classic V1 which mops the floor with the more expensive T+A P1260R active preamp.

Reactions: Amormusic

THOMO

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 10, 2010
Western Australia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These cheap Chinese Pass Labs 2.0 influenced [whatever that means] work very well with high gain valve power amps.They have 3 stage gain selection down to minus 18db which I find suits my old Triamx 34 EL34 monoblocks. which have very high gain.They sound extremely good with a very neutral and open sound.I have tried lots of pretty expensive valve and SS preamps with those amps and some mid priced ones like a Musical Fidelity A3 but none of them have sounded as good as this one.I do wonder if it is more of a buffer preamp than a fully active one.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...diU1-35AhUT4DgGHZZbDD8Q9aACKAB6BAgBEEo&adurl=

llatpoh

Wammer
Wammer
May 27, 2022
The Free State Of Texas, USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good luck finding a passive pre with a remote control
Both Schiit Audio Saga S and Freya S preamps have fully passive or passive with buffered output modes, and remote control with relay switched stepped attenuator volumen control. I've owned both and would not hesitate to recommend for both SQ and seamless functionality.

TECUMSEH VALLEY

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2010
NORFOLK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you listen mainly to CD, an alternative approach could be to drive the ST20 direct from a CD player with a variable output e.g. Sony.
This was my preferred option when I owned one of these amplifiers.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jessica_k's new PRE 1 buffer is attracting a lot of attention on the south coast. It might well suit a Leak Stereo 20 as its unity gain.

It's now in production, the prototype having done the rounds and gone down well at various bake offs.

It will be in the system at the Wam Show.

Jessica trades as Alpha2Delta and is a certified trade member on here.

Jack NSM

Last edited:
Reactions: DomT and Amormusic

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you listen mainly to CD, an alternative approach could be to drive the ST20 direct from a CD player with a variable output e.g. Sony.
This was my preferred option when I owned one of these amplifiers.
Not applicable to me, but thanks.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jessica_k's new PRE 1 buffer is attracting a lot of attention on the south coast. It might well suit a Leak Stereo 20 as its unity gain.

It's now in production, the prototype having done the rounds and gone down well at various bake offs.

It will be in the system at the Wam Show.

Jessica is trades as Alpha2Delta and is a certified trade member on here.

Jack NSM
Good shout Jack. I heard this at Johns I think.

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks chaps.

I actually spotted earlier another post from @savvypaul of NVA offering a kit borrow to Wammerplus members and one package had a Pre as part of it.

Paul, when I pick this up I might give you a shout to please borrow and try against the Khozmo for a little play? Obvs, if I like it then I'd likely I'd buy one from you.
Hi! Yes, we have a dedicated loan scheme for Wammers: https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/nva-loan-scheme-for-wammer-plus-members.108276/

Just drop me a line when you are ready.

Warm regards,

Paul

robin

Good bye
Wammer Plus
Dec 6, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I had mine I used a, and still use a V.D.H. array p1 , and it's got a remote, but mines the only one I have ever seen, a Django works well to

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm going to keep plugging it, largely because it doesn't seem to want to shift, also because I stand by its excellent sound quality, but I have a Stereo Coffee LDR passive for sale in the classifieds which I'm sure would suit.

It also has a unity gain buffer if needed.

Wonderful sounding pre and has a remote control for volume.

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/th...ical-fidelity-x-10d-buffer-price-drop.109653/
Would be a shame to stick it on the scrap heap, but that's where it's headed at this rate...

Reactions: DomT

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I had mine I used a, and still use a V.D.H. array p1 , and it's got a remote, but mines the only one I have ever seen, a Django works well to
Some divvy bought one from an auction in Scotland without the remote! Seeing as you need the remote to work it, a bit silly. Maybe he is still trying to sell it?

robin

Good bye
Wammer Plus
Dec 6, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If he bought one of those learning remote, and sent it to me I could send the code from mine to his, for a small fee,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles