Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2006
North Ireland, ,
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok purse your lips and suck in breath to make a slight squeaky noise. Not too loud but on and off. Thats what I heard coming from the left channel last night after half an hours listening.

Amp iconaudio 40i

Source Minimax cdp

Speakers ProAc 140's

ANy ideas? I turned the amp off and then on again and the noise had gone. Initially thought it was interference from the central heating but when I turned this off the squeak was still there.

M

murray johnson

does it do it with the volume control at minimum or does the amount of it vary with volume level? Try switching to another input aswell when its doing it, to ascertain whether it could be the cdp.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Swap the speaker cables over at the back of the amp. Does it move to the other speaker? If not, it's the speaker.

If it moves, swap the left and right RCA's from the CDP over. If it moves again, it's the CDP. If it doesn't, it's the amp.

zygote23

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2006
North Ireland, ,
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Turning the volume had no effect. Turning the amp off and back on again seemed to rectify the problem. I'l have a longer listen tonight and see if it happens again.

E

earl of sodbury

Mr Cat wrote:

try a mouse trap ad see what turns up...
wink.png
:lmao:beat me to it.

Or perhaps you or Cloffo could wait patiently by the amp until the squeaker appears?

M

murray johnson

if adjusting the volume control had no effect the 'mouse' is in youramplifier after the pot and sounds like a valve misbehaving in the left channel. You might be able to establish which of the two types of smaller valves (if either) is causing it by switching their positions L & R and seeing whether the noise follows. Switch the amp off each time before you try this. Do one valve type at a time. If neither causes the squeaking to shift, it may be one of the L Ch o/p vaves. You could confirm this by switching the left hand pair and the right hand pair & seeing whether the noise moves. If this doesn't do it either then its a power supply component but I'd expect it to have been a valve.

It won't be the speakers. They don't make noises of their own accord, particularly when the volume is at minimum.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
murray johnson wrote:

It won't be the speakers. They don't make noises of their own accord, particularly when the volume is at minimum.
Rubbish
wink.png
I have heard many a speaker make a noise of there own accord, when volume is at minimum volume and have in fact a couple of times heard noise when the amplifier is switched off
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Fancy you saying such things :lmao: forum members 40 plus will understand :green:

zygote23

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2006
North Ireland, ,
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The squeak is gone! I'm listening to a commbination of Peter Gabriel 4, Talk Talk and a little Coil. Now I am just paraniod but can hear a very very faint buzz from the speakers when I am not playing anything. This is coming from the tweeters I think. Barely perceptible till you stick your ear to them.

SHould I panic?

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
zygote23 wrote:

The squeak is gone! I'm listening to a commbination of Peter Gabriel 4, Talk Talk and a little Coil. Now I am just paraniod but can hear a very very faint buzz from the speakers when I am not playing anything. This is coming from the tweeters I think. Barely perceptible till you stick your ear to them.SHould I panic?
no need to panic you will get noise from speakers fact of life

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichShortland