Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello,
I'd really like to build a linear PSU for my Raspberry Pi 4, the RPi 4 requires 3A and ideally 5.1 VDC but it will work with 5V.
I've scoured all over for a PSU to fit the bill but there seems that all the 5V PSU's are limited to 2A so not really much good to me, there are a couple on Audiophonics but they are way out of my budget.

Is there a decent kit I can get hold of and build myself? I'm proficient with a soldering iron and understand electronic components so at least I'm not a complete numpty!
Chrers

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello,
I'd really like to build a linear PSU for my Raspberry Pi 4, the RPi 4 requires 3A and ideally 5.1 VDC but it will work with 5V.
I've scoured all over for a PSU to fit the bill but there seems that all the 5V PSU's are limited to 2A so not really much good to me, there are a couple on Audiophonics but they are way out of my budget.

Is there a decent kit I can get hold of and build myself? I'm proficient with a soldering iron and understand electronic components so at least I'm not a complete numpty!
Chrers
The raspberry pi doesn't need three amps unless you've got some peripherals attached like USB hard disks that need powering, but two amps would be enough to power the pi and a single USB hard drive anyway.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Richard, I have tried using my 2A LPS from my DAC and the Pi will power cycle, if it does manage to stay on it throws up a power warning, the Pi4 has a faster processor and more RAM that the Pi2 or even 3B and requires more power.
From the official Pi site:
"The official spec for the RPF PSU is 5.1v at 3A (15.3W)."

However further drilling reveals: "A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total."

thanks again for responding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles