Linn Owners

Linn 242s - How to tell if set up Aktiv?

Mr2102

Wammer
Sep 20, 2019
Looking at how to confirm if Linn 242s are set up for active or passive?

I thought opening up the rear port where the speaker terminals are, might show some connections configured in a way that would give an idea but from what I can see there are connections marked Aktiv and passive, and both have connectors in place.

Does anyone know what I should be looking for?

Here are a couple of pictures to show what I'm looking at:

IMG_2880.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

Mr2102

Wammer
Sep 20, 2019
Thanks Zee, that's extremely helpful! :)

Looks like that confirms that they are setup for passive, as the colours on the board match the plugs (apart from the white/black difference that the pdf also notes).

I notice that you've had 242s in the past as well (I've enjoyed following some of your previous threads), I'm currently trying to find a system setup that I'm happy with and can leave alone which at the moment means deciding on speakers (I'm not sure I'm totally happy with the 242s). (currently krds/1 -> twin/d -> 242mk2).

I'd be really interested if you (or anyone else!) have any thoughts on the following:

- Did you ever try the 'bass boost' terminals on the rear of the 242s?
- What made you sell the 242s?
- How do the Akubariks compare to the 242s?

Thanks again!

Reactions: Paulssurround

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Mr2102, what are your complaints about the 242's then? They are extremely revealing of a "poor" source and many owners claim you need something better than a KRDS/1. It's also good to spend a bit of time to get the installation right. Have you tried positioning them exactly down to the last 1 mm? Many also claim they only really sing, once powered by Solos. A good friend has Klimax LP12 SE/KK/Solos and the Mk. 2 242's and it sounds wonderful.
I had 242's for many years tri-amped with a 6100, which is definitely on the weak side. I had a good offer to exchange them for passive Akubariks and I've never looked back, they are quite a bit better. Nevertheless, it's possible to get the 242's to sing.

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The local gentleman who bought my 242 mark 1’s tried them with my 4200/1 and his naim NAP300DR but still felt that there was more to get outta that speaker. Now he’s using a beast of an ATC stereo poweramp with his Adsm/3 and a majik 126 sub. He was very impressed by our integrated Akubariks recently but does not plan on selling the 242’s. I’ve yet to hear that ATC amp on my old speakers but at both occasions the source has been a katalyst source.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am big fan of the 242’s and they play a fine tune indeed, as a very musical speaker.

I have heard 242’s powered by Majik X100’s, X200’s, Twins and Solos, and sound quality improvements are realized as you go up the Linn hierarchy. My preference for passive 242’s are when they are driven by twins or Solos. Exakted 242’s with 4200’s, twins or Solos are quite satisfying.

As much as I enjoy 242’s, I much prefer Akubariks, as they are a significant jump up from the 242’s, IMHO

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am big fan of the 242’s and they play a fine tune indeed, as a very musical speaker.

I have heard 242’s powered by Majik X100’s, X200’s, Twins and Solos, and sound quality improvements are realized as you go up the Linn hierarchy. My preference for passive 242’s are when they are driven by twins or Solos. Exakted 242’s with 4200’s, twins or Solos are quite satisfying.

As much as I enjoy 242’s, I much prefer Akubariks, as they are a significant jump up from the 242’s, IMHO
242's are a mighty fine speaker. My SIL had a pair of passive Mk1's eventually driven by a Twin and they sounded sweet. Akubariks are a step up in price and performance.

Mr2102

Wammer
Sep 20, 2019
Hi Mr2102, what are your complaints about the 242's then? They are extremely revealing of a "poor" source and many owners claim you need something better than a KRDS/1. It's also good to spend a bit of time to get the installation right. Have you tried positioning them exactly down to the last 1 mm? Many also claim they only really sing, once powered by Solos. A good friend has Klimax LP12 SE/KK/Solos and the Mk. 2 242's and it sounds wonderful.
I had 242's for many years tri-amped with a 6100, which is definitely on the weak side. I had a good offer to exchange them for passive Akubariks and I've never looked back, they are quite a bit better. Nevertheless, it's possible to get the 242's to sing.
Hi Tendaberry,

I was finding them lacking warmth/fullness/bass (even compared to a pair of 109s).

I’ve since repositioned them to move them closer together, removed any toe in, and placed them closer to the rear wall.

This together with trying out the bass boost terminals has helped a lot and I’m much happier with them.

That’s interesting what you say about the source, I understand people seeing renews as an upgrade dead end but is the renew ds/1 considered poor?
What would be the logical upgrade from it, taking into account cost/improvement?

Akubariks definitely sounds like they’d make sense in the future but I’ve only recently put this system together so that won’t be too soon given the price jump.

I’d be interested in trying out a sub with it currently though to see how that sounds.

Thanks everyone! :)

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think an Adsm/3 would sound better. A sub is a good idea. I was not a fan of the bass boost in Exakt. Made the bass more wooly imo.

Reactions: Tendaberry

Mr2102

Wammer
Sep 20, 2019
I think an Adsm/3 would sound better. A sub is a good idea. I was not a fan of the bass boost in Exakt. Made the bass more wooly imo.

Thanks, I'm keen on a dsm so I can add a projector at some point in the future so will look into that. (I was thinking a renew dsm/1)

I've also been keeping an eye on a Klimax 345 on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255362634972 - but I think it might end up being a bit pricey.
Does anyone have an idea of what is a reasonable price for this or what these go for in the uk? (I couldn't even see what they cost new).

Carpy

New Wammer
Jan 24, 2022
If you can try and borrow a pair of lejonklou tarandus monos they make my 242 mk2 absolutely sing. I have dsm2 the jump from renew ds2 to the dsm2 was huge certainly no lack of bass. Lejonklou are great value for money and seem to really work with Linn akurate speakers even akubarik. the stereo tundra also very good just my 2 cents worth happy listening

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree, a pair of Lejonklou Tundra Monos would be very good to drive the 242's, I'm also thinking about them for my Akubariks. As a front-end you need at least an ADSM/3, though a Klimax DS/2 and a Klimax Kontrol would probably work too. But since you want to add a projector, a DSM is the better solution.

• Upvote

Mr2102

Wammer
Sep 20, 2019
If you can try and borrow a pair of lejonklou tarandus monos they make my 242 mk2 absolutely sing. I have dsm2 the jump from renew ds2 to the dsm2 was huge certainly no lack of bass. Lejonklou are great value for money and seem to really work with Linn akurate speakers even akubarik. the stereo tundra also very good just my 2 cents worth happy listening

I think I very briefly heard a pair of tundra monos with 242s which definitely sounded good (but also had a much newer Klimax ds with it).

At the moment I’m trying things out and finding out what suits me, so it’s nice to be able to sell on Linn items relatively easily. Because of this I think tundra monos is something I’ll give more serious thought to once my system choice is more settled in the future.

Oh and when you say “the jump from renew ds2 to the dsm2 was huge”, do you mean Klimax Renew DS/2 to Klimax DSM/2? (I’m still working out where things sit relative to each other after a bit of a break from hifi :) )

Mr2102

Wammer
Sep 20, 2019
I agree, a pair of Lejonklou Tundra Monos would be very good to drive the 242's, I'm also thinking about them for my Akubariks. As a front-end you need at least an ADSM/3, though a Klimax DS/2 and a Klimax Kontrol would probably work too. But since you want to add a projector, a DSM is the better solution.
So many things to consider! :D

ADSM/3 is multiple times the price of a Klimax Renew DSM, but then it is upgradable. And all the talk about Organik has me wondering if/when this might appear in Akurate DSM?

Maybe an Akurate DSM/3 would make sense if/when Organik comes to the Akurate DSM (and reduces the price of the DSM/3), leaving me with the option to upgrade it in the future.

Still getting up to speed with Exakt/Katalyst/Organik etc :)

Carpy

New Wammer
Jan 24, 2022
I think I very briefly heard a pair of tundra monos with 242s which definitely sounded good (but also had a much newer Klimax ds with it).

At the moment I’m trying things out and finding out what suits me, so it’s nice to be able to sell on Linn items relatively easily. Because of this I think tundra monos is something I’ll give more serious thought to once my system choice is more settled in the future.

Oh and when you say “the jump from renew ds2 to the dsm2 was huge”, do you mean Klimax Renew DS/2 to Klimax DSM/2? (I’m still working out where things sit relative to each other after a bit of a break from hifi :) )
Hi yes it was the klimax renew ds2 which is a great streamer and great value for money

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online