Linn Owners

LINN AKURATE RENEW v KLIMAX RENEW advice please.

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My all Linn system now consists of LINN AKURATE RENEW DS - LINN c2200 POWER AMP - LINN 242 SPEAKERS (passive). This was going to be the end of the upgrades, but following the "source first" principle I might be tempted into purchasing a LINN KLIMAX RENEW DS. They are about double the price of the Akurate Renew DS in the "pre-owned" world and we are in the land of diminishing returns but has anyone who has tread this upgrade path before any observations please ? And before anyone asks I am not interested in Aktiv/Exakt/the fact that Akurate has been killed off/etc.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Highway, what is your preamp? I didn't think a DS had a volume control or analog outputs to dive amps? I wouldn't do a renew, I'd stretch to get the full smiling pizza box Klimax DSM 1 or 2. There are going to be lots on the market at fair prices. ADSM/3's will also be being sold in significant numbers I suspect.

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No pre-amp, volume controlled by App(s). I like the RENEW theory as it removes a lot of the extras I would not use and, in theory, is a purer sound stream.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Highway, what is your preamp? I didn't think a DS had a volume control or analog outputs to dive amps? I wouldn't do a renew, I'd stretch to get the full smiling pizza box Klimax DSM 1 or 2. There are going to be lots on the market at fair prices. ADSM/3's will also be being sold in significant numbers I suspect.
I think all DSs have the option to have internal volume control enabled. That’s how I use mine, straight into Solos.

Mick

GeraldS

Wammer
Oct 10, 2022
Nürnberg / Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No pre-amp, volume controlled by App(s). I like the RENEW theory as it removes a lot of the extras I would not use and, in theory, is a purer sound stream.
RENEW means that the no longer used boards after an upgrade get a new simple casing and PS and can be used again. Thay have not less functionality as the original produkt. They were available for DS and DSM without Katalyst, but unfortunatly not longer for the current Katalyst to Organic upgrades.

Reactions: Moomintroll

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles