Linn Owners

Linn and Roon

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
The very positive Stereonet review of the Selekt Edition mentions that Linn are working hard on full Roon accreditation. Has anyone heard this from other sources? On the whole, I find it works well enough (be handy if one could use the volume controls on the Linn remote, though), but there are irritants such as no appropriate icon for the Edition, so we get a picture of a speaker). Info would be gratefully received.

Reactions: Mischa

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The very positive Stereonet review of the Selekt Edition mentions that Linn are working hard on full Roon accreditation. Has anyone heard this from other sources? On the whole, I find it works well enough (be handy if one could use the volume controls on the Linn remote, though), but there are irritants such as no appropriate icon for the Edition, so we get a picture of a speaker). Info would be gratefully received.
I've found roon doesn't release control back to the DSM after a roon session. It's irritating because I use the DSM for TV sound over HDMI ARC. After a roon session the DSM sleeps but when it's awoken again by the TV over ARC the Roon session kicks in again and autoplays the Roon playlist where it left off. It's scared the nippers more than a few times and only resolvable by changing the DSM source to TV via the handset or a control app. I'm running a Selekt Edition, never has the issue with my old ADMS/3. Linn helpline was useless, said it was roons problem and I need to take it up with them. While likely factual was less than helpful and a touch cold, I didn't spend £15k with roon. I spent £15K with Linn after reading in the device documentation the DSM fully supports Roon. Clearly it has a bug.

And the icon thing... seems to have icons missing for all the latest generation DSMs, on the face of it just cosmetic right but suggests some corners cut by either Linn or Roon under the hood. Especially coupled with my issue above.

Rant over, but you did ask! :)

Reactions: Mischa

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
Exactly the right sort of issue to raise on this thread. Personally I’m frustrated at the removal of 4 HDMI inputs that I had on my Akurate, requiring an extra £750 to get back to where I was before. So like you, relying on ARC but it causes the odd problem as you describe. Also the loss of an input, even routing much through the tv.

Reactions: Mischa and silkie

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Exactly the right sort of issue to raise on this thread. Personally I’m frustrated at the removal of 4 HDMI inputs that I had on my Akurate, requiring an extra £750 to get back to where I was before. So like you, relying on ARC but it causes the odd problem as you describe. Also the loss of an input, even routing much through the tv.
Agreed loosing the HDMI switching on the unit felt cheap but I have grown to prefer the HDMI switching being done by the TV. What irks me more is that eARC is not in the base system and again you have to stump up for the card. While the extra HDMI bandwidth isn't really needed for 2 channel audio, eARC is very common to see in much cheaper equipment as standard.

Not only this my unit had to be replaced because the screen came with a line of dead pixels.

My pride of ownership lasted a lot longer with my ADSM/3.

This reads back like I'm bashing the Selekt Edition and I suppose I am a touch but I'm also very happy with the noises it makes and I guess that's its reason for being. Not sure I'd be rushing out to buy any more brand new Linn gear off the cuff though.

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, the Roon integration with the Selekt Edition is a pain and it does feel like the Selekt was not 100% the completed product when it was released. I feel, this is a Linn problem and not Roon's issue to resolve. Like Silkie, I had an ADSM/3 which worked fine with Roon, so not sure why Linn couldn't ensure the Selekt Edition was working before it was released.

I prefer the Optical connection from my TV over HDMI, as I don't like the TV controlling the Hi-Fi. My TV has good enough sound for normal viewing and I only play the TV through the Hi-Fi for Music and action movies. Some say the sound quality of HDMI is better than optical but for what I require the optical is more than adequate.

I does make a lovely sound though, especially with the Organik DAC.

Reactions: silkie

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the whole, I find it works well enough (be handy if one could use the volume controls on the Linn remote, though)
the volume on the remote does work with Roon.

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
My fault - yes, the volume control does work. It’s the pause button which doesn’t, irritating when the phone rings.

Reactions: Billz

Beo

Wammer
Nov 26, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I am new to the Linn world (I got my first Linn, a Selekt with Stereo Organik 4 weeks ago) I am also a little bit challenged by Roon. It may be my local network that could be the root cause, but I doubt as all other gear runs smoothly. Roon looses the contact to the Selekt from time to time and only a restart of the Selekt helps. Is this a know issue? On the positve side I see the Selekt logo in the buttom right corner of the Roon app.

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
I don’t have the problem you describe. But is your Selekt Edition or Klassic? I think the junior model does have the right logo.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I am new to the Linn world (I got my first Linn, a Selekt with Stereo Organik 4 weeks ago) I am also a little bit challenged by Roon. It may be my local network that could be the root cause, but I doubt as all other gear runs smoothly. Roon looses the contact to the Selekt from time to time and only a restart of the Selekt helps. Is this a know issue? On the positve side I see the Selekt logo in the buttom right corner of the Roon app.
My Roon experience (coming up to five years) has only been with my KDS, but I’ve not noticed the connection issues you’ve experienced. Roon is very ‘busy’, network wise, so it could still be your network causing issues even though other things run fine.

Mick

Reactions: Beo

Tyke

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 5, 2014
Leicestershire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Roon experience (coming up to five years) has only been with my KDS, but I’ve not noticed the connection issues you’ve experienced. Roon is very ‘busy’, network wise, so it could still be your network causing issues even though other things run fine.

Mick
As Linn does not use the Roon Streaming protocol [RAAT}, you can delete this from the Roon folder and stop it choking your network.

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I revisited my issue explained in post 2 here. Seems it's fixed. Since my last dig into this 3 things have happened. Roon's updated, Linn released new firmware for the DSM and I removed the selection for "autoplay" in the DSM configuration. I believe the last step nailed it. Happy days. If only Linn helpdesk was more helpful if it actually was a DSM setting to blame!

Going back to topic though. Full roon ready certification would be awesome in my opinion. I hope they are working on it.

Reactions: Tyke

Crom

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2012
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As Linn does not use the Roon Streaming protocol [RAAT}, you can delete this from the Roon folder and stop it choking your network.
This sounds like something I would like to do. Can you explain how to achieve this in a little more detail please? I have Roon server running on a windows device. Are you saying that within the Roon server folder there's a RAAT folder which I can just delete and that will cut down the network traffic generated by Roon...which is substantial?

Reactions: Tyke

Tyke

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 5, 2014
Leicestershire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This sounds like something I would like to do. Can you explain how to achieve this in a little more detail please? I have Roon server running on a windows device. Are you saying that within the Roon server folder there's a RAAT folder which I can just delete and that will cut down the network traffic generated by Roon...which is substantial?
Yes. Stop the Roon server and then delete the RAAT server exe file from the folder. Then restart the server.

Reactions: Crom and JWT

Crom

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2012
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hey, I finally got around to trying this out. Blimey! Thank you @Tyke for pointing me to this. Well worth doing this if using Linn kit. For me it was a little more of a pronounced improvement than when I moved from copper ethernet to fibre connection. Stereo has never sounded so good!

In case anyone's interested, you will find the roonserver folder at:
c:\users\[yourusername]\appdata\local\roonserver\application (this is from memory but about right!!) In there you'll find 2 files with raat in the title...just delete them (having stopped Roon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online