Neil Jung

Wammer
Oct 10, 2016
Bracknell
AKA
Mike Sargent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m having a wooden floor put in the lounge and the cable for one of the speakers will have to  somehow go underneath the floor where the room adjoins the conservatory. The K20 is as you will know very chunky indeed and frankly a bit unsightly.

Is there a recommended significantly thinner upgrade I could go for?

The set up is LP12, Cyrus CDi, Kairn, 2 Aktiv Klouts, Aktiv Keilidhs.

Thanks

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd also consider the Linn K200, it's neat and very, very good.
I’m really pleased with it, although some folk prefer the older stuff. I moved to it from one pair of K600 (I used to have Aktiv Kabers then Aktiv Espeks so originally needed three pairs) and thought it an improvement although in fairness the K600 was twenty years old, as were the solder joints...

Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zee9

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m really pleased with it, although some folk prefer the older stuff. I moved to it from one pair of K600 (I used to have Aktiv Kabers then Aktiv Espeks so originally needed three pairs) and thought it an improvement although in fairness the K600 was twenty years old, as were the solder joints...
Mick
Am I to understand youre using 3 k200 wires and still tri-aktiv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Am I to understand youre using 3 k200 wires and still tri-aktiv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not any more. I moved to passive Akubariks from Espeks three or four years ago, and initially used one of the three pairs of the old K600 to run them but later moved to K200. Can’t afford to run these Aktiv as they’d need five channels of amplification each!

Mick

Reactions: zee9

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can’t afford to run these Aktiv as they’d need five channels of amplification each!
It's time to start looking for a couple of second hand A4200s to go with your Solos :) .  But that's heresy, I suppose.

David

G

golke53

Well, if you are looking for really thin cables and an upgrade (as per the headline) you should look at Nordost. I am saying this being totally sober, no booze or drugs, however tongue in cheek because of the price. But they really would be it. Maybe (now seriously) look for the less expensive models Nordost offers alike "purple flare" etc . 2nd hand sometimes available but always at specific lengths.

An insider tip: Wilbrand Accoustics offer flat/thin cable designs. I used some (8 pairs for active Keltiks) before and replaced them by Nordost. Reason for replacement: sound. Nordost are much better and much more expensive. But I cannot say the Wilbrands were bad at all and in the LK-style of system as yours they can be a good match. Wilbrand claim they buy the cables from a very prominent manufacturer in large volumes and they do the assembly at their place in North Germany. 

Neil Jung

Wammer
Oct 10, 2016
Bracknell
AKA
Mike Sargent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone for your replies. In the end I ran out of time to make a change and have stuck with the Linn K20 cable which has been largely hidden between the wooden floor and the skirting boards.

Next step is to tweak the treble Klout to reduce the brightness, which is currently set at maximum. 

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's time to start looking for a couple of second hand A4200s to go with your Solos :) .  But that's heresy, I suppose.

David
No, stop! I think the rack is a nice height now - don’t want to start putting shelves back in, plus there’s all that ‘speaker cable to think of. 😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online