Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a pair of linn kan's, I love them, perfect tonal balance, but i just wish they'd have a little more bottom end...

I have a bit of cash at the moment, and size of speaker isn't really and issue as I've just got a house and have a nice big lounge..sub £400 ideally? I use a valve amp, so I think isobariks are a no no lol

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try a decent sub, the Kans roll off nicely so they're easy to intergrate with a sub. I used a Celestion S1i sub with good results with a pair of Mkii a few years ago.

Right I've said my bit now
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
smack.gif.67a6c7204929f2d6a3282863ab29d146.gif
:minikiev:

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
kans do gel well with a sub

alternatively linn ninkas are just about fine with valves - if you are into jazz you will enjoy this setup . Cost however will take you past £500 for a good one.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Kiang wrote:

kans do gel well with a subalternatively linn ninkas are just about fine with valves - if you are into jazz you will enjoy this setup . Cost however will take you past £500 for a good one.
Ninkas roll-off early down below unless you go active...

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I compared Linn Kan's with PMC GB1's last year and the difference was more bass but very similar mid and high sweetness. Might be a bit on the high side of your budget though.

chfs911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2007
, ,
AKA
Tuner MD108
Katans are just what you are after. I have Kan2s and bought the Katans for the TV with 250 driving them. Very nice.

I have sold them now but on the end of a 552/500 they could really sing. Needs some power to drive them.

2nd hand about £400 and they can be used with the Sizmik to really go low if required.

Ported so they do bass better than Kan2.

Charles

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had this dilemma a while back with mkII Kans. I changed to Saras, then shortly after, to Kabers. The Kabers stayed in the system until recently, when they went (with the rest of the Linn gear) for a system with more weight.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
syep2001 wrote:

I have a pair of linn kan's, I love them, perfect tonal balance, but i just wish they'd have a little more bottom end...I have a bit of cash at the moment, and size of speaker isn't really and issue as I've just got a house and have a nice big lounge..sub £400 ideally? I use a valve amp, so I think isobariks are a no no lol
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif
Sorry I am pleased to say I cannot recommend anything with the same tonal balance as the Kans - try and listen to Some Accoustic Energy AE1s you may just find that the tonal balance you thought was perfect isn't
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif

Also if you can find a pair second hand try and audition the KEF 101 or 102 and Proac Tablettes

Almost bookshelf size and one of my favourites from the past is the Radford Tristar if you can find a pair - these babies are a three way with a ten or twelve inch bass driver in a small cabinet they have real bass and a seductive sound and what is more for their size take one hell of a lot of beating.

They are not often found second hand but I am sure that is cos those that have them will not part with them.

Uzzy:nerd:

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In right environment, Kans with right (left)front-end/amp have all of the tune/'depth' a human could desire... (many good dealers in 80s noticed that their top speakers were inferior to thus-installed Kan...)

In wrong setup, it is likely a subwoofie or whatever might give purchaser what that purchaser desires.

I suspect strongly from experience in a few caves of right size that original-type Kan setup uses dimensions etc of environment to equal e.g. old Linn Isobariks (which I also love, although their/Saras foam often disintegrates).

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thommo wrote:

I wish I had the confidence to wade into a thread and in my first contibution, tell the original poster that they've got shit ears.
Kans are impressive on first listen - my point was to listen to a few others and determine if it really is nervana.

Sure you can make most "quality" loudspeakers sound good with careful matching of the amp and source - but the best loudspeakers sound good whatever the amp and source and sound absolutely bloody stunning when synergy is obtained.

If you look at the second hand prices of speakers (dictated by supply and demand) Sarahs, Isobariks and Kans go for pennies compared to say LS35A and AE AE1s and Tannoys or even the JR149 which used to retail for about half the price of a pair or LS35As.

It appeared thedesign criteria for the Sarah (we mused when I worked in the trade) was designed to be the same dimensions as a Lin Sondek box - clever buggas reduced packaging costs. It probably wasn't but we were trying to work out how anyone could design such an awful looking loudspeaker that in real terms didn't offfer better sonics than equivalent priced loudspeakers at the time (remember these sold for £500 ish when you get get a pair of NS1000s for £600 or Gale GS401s for £400).

I will say it again - just listen to a few others to make sure that there is nothing out there that you do like better or when you want to change your amp or source you may just end up restricting yourself. If you really really like them then they are very very cheap now so it will be wallet and sonic nervana if that is the case.

Uzzy:nerd:

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Injector wrote:

Kiang wrote:
kans do gel well with a subalternatively linn ninkas are just about fine with valves - if you are into jazz you will enjoy this setup . Cost however will take you past £500 for a good one.
Ninkas roll-off early down below unless you go active...
Yeah they do, I used mine with a sub and valves andthey were great, coloured as hell but a great musical speaker.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are many TO THE LISTENER/PURCHASER great loudspeaker systems, and I am convinced that in right installation/to susceptible believer (me) Kans are great.

If I wish to hear more fulsome extended 'bass', I use suitable loudspeaker system instead.

For acoustic - e.g. guitar - in right installation good old Kans are superb.

There are many other equally good loudspeaker systems in suitable context.

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like KANS,

I would think the best way to get Linn Kan sound with more bass is more KANS.

Of course the other way is with a better source and amplification and careful setup.

I think a superb set up would be to rebuild your main wall with the Kans built in, with a pair of Bryston crossovers and two Bryston 14b sst amps (or four 7bsst) running them active from an Ipod .

hifipinta

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 1, 2006
, ,
The new Epos M16 speakers are what you're looking for. They are a three way. They have a mid and tweater in a sealed section as does the Kan plus a sub in the bottom half of the speaker. i have heard them recently and they are very impressive. Similar to Kan / LS35a with 2 octaves more of Bass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles