Linn Launching Exakt.Design at HIFIWIGWAM 2017

Jim Liddell

New Wammer
Feb 13, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone. For those of you who are not already aware, Linn will be exhibiting at the HIFIWIGWAM Show this year to introduce Exakt.Design (https://exakt.design). Exakt.Design allows you to design your own Exakt Crossover for a loudspeaker of your choosing - whether that be improving the performance of an existing loudspeaker, or designing your own.

Your Exakt Designs can be deployed and run in any Exakt Engine.  In addition to the Linn Exaktbox, we are keen to support, and would like to gauge interest in, alternative platforms such as a VST plugins and foobar2000 components.

Exakt.Design is currently invite only, and attendees of the show will receive an exclusive invite.

At the show we will be giving demonstrations, and running workshops for those who are interested in a more hands-on walkthrough of the app.

Our session timings are as follows:

Saturday 18th March (preview for exhibitors only)

• 15:00 - 15:30 Demonstration
  • 15:45 - 16:45 Workshop
Sunday 19th March (open to all show attendees)

• 10:15 - 10:45 Demonstration
  • 11:00 - 11:30 Demonstration
  • 11:45 - 12:30 Workshop
  • 13:30 - 14:00 Demonstration
  • 14:15 - 14:45 Demonstration
  • 15:00 - 15:30 Demonstration
  • 15:45 - 16:30 Workshop
We have limited places so to avoid disappointment, please let us know if you are planning to attend by emailing hello@exakt.design.

Last edited by a moderator:

rv295

Chat Bot
Wammer
Sep 13, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ross
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately my email bounced back.  It got as far as isheriff (who provide cloud based mx records) and then failed to find the mailbox.

host smtp01-in.isheriff.com [88.198.65.187]

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<hello@exakt.design>:

550 5.7.1 mailbox unavailable

If you could put me (and my friend who is helping me over the weekend) down for 2 exhibitor spaces it would be appreciated. (Ross and Brett)

Jim Liddell

New Wammer
Feb 13, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry that your email bounced. We are looking into this now. We have received email from other people, so it doesn't appear to be a global thing. I've sent you a message to see if we can diagnose this further.

I've put your names down for the Saturday exhibitor session.

rv295

Chat Bot
Wammer
Sep 13, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ross
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Jim,  email resent and I will reply by PM in a moment.

Thank you for adding us and I look forward to meeting you at the show.

vintageaxeman

WAM, Bam, Thank you, Ma'am!
Wammer Plus
Feb 25, 2010
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went to the dem today, was impressed, wanted to access the supposedly free software when I got home, and couldn't find it online. Help please anyone?

insider9

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 21, 2017
Rotherham
AKA
Lukasz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Must admit the presentation and the workshop were the icing on an otherwise delicious cake. 

Great idea and hope to see software only option on sale to appeal to the broadest audience. 

vintageaxeman

Wammer Plus
Feb 25, 2010
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have just been on the preview page shown above (  https://exakt.design  ), which currently only allows you to insert your email address for further information.

I already have an active system (ATC speakers with built-in crossover and amps), but I do not use any Linn kit other than my LP12, so I am hoping that Linn WILL consider making Exakt available as a plugin for iTunes / Audirvana etc on a Mac, as mentioned at the dem.

Is anyone else hoping to use it in this way, without using Exakt hardware?

I have a BBE Sonic Maximiser which offers some general low and high frequency phase adjustment, but is nowhere near as comprehensive a solution as Linn's Exakt seems to offer.  Does anyone know if Behringer or any other manufacturer has hardware which can achieve any of the phase alignment that Exakt offers?

insider9

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 21, 2017
Rotherham
AKA
Lukasz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is anyone else hoping to use it in this way, without using Exakt hardware?
I am. Making this as open as possible to all enthusiasts could make it huge indeed. 

There's no question that using it on Linn hardware might have some advantages but many won't be prepared to bear such expense. Not just that but many of us put a lot of effort in getting our systems together that are often more the the sum of their parts and would simply want to tweak them. 

edd9000

Listens to graphs.
Wammer
Feb 13, 2013
Spalding
AKA
Edd
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very enjoyable demonstration. I already use a software dsp solution so really hope some form of plugin comes about to try. The software looks excellent. 

G

The A/B on the piano track i heard on Saturday was probably the most startling difference . 

PS who was that and is it on vinyl ???

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Suggested to the Linn guys they can encourage people to use the room optimisation software part, where you add the speaker dimensions, the room position and the room dimensions and it calculates the room nodes and corrects appropriately. Put that into the Foobar plug-in and you get room correction (free?). If you want to get better, measure it and tune to flavour (flat?).

Hopefully hearing how good that was may encourage people to then use the full active set up.

I used the software optimisation software of the Linn Akurate and it is now much more sophisticated taking acount of windows, doorways, wall materials etc. But getting rid of bass room nodes was worthwhile. Maybe that will help with small rooms at Scalford? Sunbeam's room certainly showed that off well.

insider9

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 21, 2017
Rotherham
AKA
Lukasz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The A/B on the piano track i heard on Saturday was probably the most startling difference . 

It was An Pierlé. She's released her albums on vinyl but the song used in the presentation isn't on any if her albums as far as I can see. 

The title of the track is "Are 'Friends' Electric?".

G

It was An Pierlé. She's released her albums on vinyl but the song used in the presentation isn't on any if her albums as far as I can see. 

The title of the track is "Are 'Friends' Electric?".
Sorry i remember yes Gary Numan track 

vintageaxeman

Wammer Plus
Feb 25, 2010
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

It was An Pierle. That's PIERLE. :) The track is 'Are Friends Electric?' by Gary Numan.

Just type 'An Pierle Are friends electric' into google and you'll find it on youtube, and on Amazon as an mp3 download.

I have several of her albums (she has quite a few out), but I can't find it on CD anywhere. Not sure if she has any LPs out.

I am. Making this as open as possible to all enthusiasts could make it huge indeed. 

There's no question that using it on Linn hardware might have some advantages but many won't be prepared to bear such expense. Not just that but many of us put a lot of effort in getting our systems together that are often more the the sum of their parts and would simply want to tweak them. 
I totally agree with you. Please post any news you have of it on here. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles