Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2013
Elsinore
AKA
Fitzgerald
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a question, because I'm a bit annoyed with LP12 colorations.

How does a LP12 - Lingo 2 + Ekos/Troïka compare with Acoustic Solid 111 Metal + WBT300 ?

They say Ekos is vastly superior. If changing, should I keep Ekos to mount it on Acoustic S. ?

Tune

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2006
Maidenhead, , United
AKA
Michael
I'd throw up on the Acoustic Solid everytime I looked at it's cheesy looking platter so I suspect that might affect the performance some what.

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I personally think the look lovely but your best bet as always would be to have a listen let your ears decide

I know James has one and has said he would love to go up in the range he rates it

Tune

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2006
Maidenhead, , United
AKA
Michael
Acoustic Solid is tat? What are you basing that opinion on?
Comparing a Solid with a Vpi some year ago and seeing the nasty things at hifi shows over the years.

Nothing stands out as being well made or well thought out. Shiney and bling.

B

BD Audio

I would NOT recommend vomiting on the platter. This would indeed affect the performance in a negative way. :cafe:

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
Comparing a Solid with a Vpi some year ago and seeing the nasty things at hifi shows over the years.Nothing stands out as being well made or well thought out. Shiney and bling.
You are just condemning it on looks then? Have you actually heard one or is that unimportant?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
welcome Kantz...it isn't always like this, honest. I think thread crapping was frowned on until around 2011, then no-one seemed to care much so you either wait patiently for sensible answers or try PinkFishMedia etc:)

Anyway, whoever they are are not right IMO. The Ekos is a good arm, but the 300 is also 'good' and will happily track carts up to lots of money (more science for you!).

The Linn is, in my experience, about as coloured as any deck can get these days, and at the far (other) end of the colouration spectrum, maybe the Townshend rock MkV is as uncoloured as you can get. In between is everything else. Michel decks seem fairly neutral, Acoustic solid are great. What's your taste in music and budget? Maybe you'll get a few more pertinent answers if we know that??

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
I owned an Acoustic Solid Classic Wood, with a Hadcock 242/Kontrapunkt A. It was a superb sounding TT, one of the best I have owned (and I have owned a few) The only thing that let it down was the cheesy looking 19 kg platter, which was turned from a solid aluminium billet :rofl:

Tune

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2006
Maidenhead, , United
AKA
Michael
You are just condemning it on looks then? Have you actually heard one or is that unimportant?
I had to share a room with one for two months about five years ago - the big one with an Ortofon arm. As disappointing turntable as I've ever had the misfortune to have in my system. The SP10 destroyed it. I would honestly buy a Rega or a Thorens, Vpi or Rock without thinking about it at that sort of price. The Acoustic Solid really wouldn't be on my shopping list regardless.

I just don't get it. I don't see the value or the build quality. I don't see the point in paying new prices when there are so many remarkable used record decks on the market that put designs like this to shame. I have only just become aware that one of the forum elders sells these so my opinion is probably highly unpopular. I have owned probably in excess of 20 turntables over the past 30 years. I have to say that the German deck was near the bottom and totally at the bottom from an aesthetics POV - but then many German decks are somewhat vulgar in my eyes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online