papillon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 25, 2009
Luxembourg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes DiggyGun, this crystal clear.
However, i am confused between active and exakt.
Linn selekt + 2 internal amp+ 2 dac -> kudos s20a is active

Not exakt because from what i understood, Exakt means you have an Ethernet cat5 cable between the selekt and the speakers

And the kudos s20a don’t have any Ethernet inputs…

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Passive speaker means one power amp channel supplying one speaker with an internal, unpowered, crossover separating the frequencies for the different drivers in the speaker. e.g. two power amp channels (one stereo amp) per speaker pair.

Active (or Aktiv) speaker means one power amp channel per speaker driver+a powered crossover (typically much more accurate than a passive crossover). e.g. four power amp channels and two crossovers per speaker pair (if two-way).

Both passive and active speakers can be used with one stereo DAC.

Exakt is a bit different, it is only an active speaker set-up, but it uses digital signal processing (DSP) to optimise the signal per speaker driver, so no physical crossover (all digital), but also adds timing differences to ensure the sound from each speaker driver arrives at the same time to the same spot in the room (e.g. your head). So for a two way speaker pair, you still need four power amp channels, but they are fed from a proprietary Exakt digital system. This needs one DAC per speaker channel so four DACs (e.g. two stereo DACs) for a two-way speaker pair.

The digital crossover provided by the Exakt system is much more accurate than even the powered crossover and has the additional capability to model the speaker driver positions.

Exakt works well with Linn's Space Optimisation (SO), but is different. SO uses DSP to model your room and adjust bass frequencies for any in-phase reflections from the room surfaces. SO can be used with any Linn digital source and isn't specific to a speaker driver.

EDIT Linn Exakt speakers have the power amp and DACs built into the speakers. You can use Exakt with non-Exakt speakers (from Linn and some other manufacturers) using traditional external power amps (or an integrated system like Selekt) + Exakt capable DACs (e.g. an Exaktbox or DAC modules in Selekt)

Last edited:

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Not exakt because from what i understood, Exakt means you have an Ethernet cat5 cable between the selekt and the speakers

I’m getting confused myself on what you want to do.

I think you want to use Kudos speakers in Active mode from your Selekt DSM.

(Kudos speakers are not Exakt, so you can’t use the Exakt sockets. )

However, Kudos speakers can either be Passive or Active (by removing the links).

The Selekt can be made Passive by using one Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridge and one Organik DAC Module or Active by using two Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridges and two Organik DAC Modules.

DG…

Suffolkboy

Wammer
Apr 19, 2020

This was when exakt engines were external, but it is connected within the selekt.
So you will be exakt aktiv. I have this scenario with 109s

• Upvote
Reactions: heimo and akamatsu

papillon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 25, 2009
Luxembourg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m getting confused myself on what you want to do.

I think you want to use Kudos speakers in Active mode from your Selekt DSM.

(Kudos speakers are not Exakt, so you can’t use the Exakt sockets. )

However, Kudos speakers can either be Passive or Active (by removing the links).

The Selekt can be made Passive by using one Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridge and one Organik DAC Module or Active by using two Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridges and two Organik DAC Modules.

DG…
Thanks!
Now it’s very clear!

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To drive active speakers with only one stereo DAC would require activ cards, surely. Something has to do the filtering somewhere.
Yeah, but it is still a stereo source signal that is daisy chained to the power amps. For sure a Linn Aktiv system requires active cards (that's the powered crossovers).

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Well, as an owner of Kudos Super20a myself. My s20a run digital active (Exakt) via Linn Exaktbox integrated. So 2 channels per speaker digitally filtered within the exaktbox.

Kudos speakers can only be run active with some sort of filter in between, digital or analog. Linn Exakt would be digital, and Naim SNAXO would be analog.

Linn does not offer analog active filters for Kudos period. If one wants to use a complete active Linn ecosystem or a one box Linn solution like the mentioned Selekt the active filter is digital (Exakt) period.

If you use 2 amplifier cartridges,you need 2 DAC modules otherwise the amp has no “source”

1 DAC and 2 amps in Selekt will not work, even if you could get it to work, you will destroy your tweeter since there is no cross over.

Last edited:

papillon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 25, 2009
Luxembourg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, as an owner of Kudos Super20a myself. My s20a run digital active (Exakt) via Linn Exaktbox integrated. So 2 channels per speaker digitally filtered within the exaktbox.

Kudos speakers can only be run active with some sort of filter in between, digital or analog. Linn Exakt would be digital, and Naim SNAXO would be analog.

Linn does not offer analog active filters for Kudos period. If one wants to use a complete active Linn ecosystem or a one box Linn solution like the mentioned Selekt the active filter is digital (Exakt) period.

If you use 2 amplifier cartridges,you need 2 DAC modules otherwise the amp has no “source”

1 DAC and 2 amps in Selekt will not work, even if you could get it to work, you will destroy your tweeter since there is no cross over.

Thanks !
With your S20A, do you think the selekt internal power amps don’t have any problem to drive the speakers ?

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Space Optimisation+ and Exakt work together to provide “time of flight optimisation.” Hence the +.

From Linndocs:

What is the difference between Space Optimisation & Space Optimisation+?​

This is applicable to both Linn Konfig and Manage System/Kloud Konfig
Space Optimisation is for NON-Exakt systems. This uses the direct analogue outputs of the Linn DS/DSM
Space Optimisation+ is for Exakt speaker. This is used for loudspeakers fed via the Exakt-link AND used with as a digital crossover.The "plus" is to signify the more musical detail that is capable within the Exakt system and Space Optimisation due to timing control of each individual drive unit etc. (This is not possible with non-Exakt systems as the loudspeaker is only driven by one common audio feed per channel.)

Last edited:

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks !
With your S20A, do you think the selekt internal power amps don’t have any problem to drive the speakers ?
I had a demo on Saturday of the Selekt Edition DSM with Utopik with two Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridges and two Organik DAC Modules driving Kudos Titan 606 speakers.

I can happily report back that there was certainly enough grunt to drive them. Maximum volume we tried was 85 and that was very loud, in fact far too loud for normal listening. Detail and depth was excellent.

We liked it so much, that we ordered one.

DG…

Solanum

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a demo on Saturday of the Selekt Edition DSM with Utopik with two Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridges and two Organik DAC Modules driving Kudos Titan 606 speakers.

I can happily report back that there was certainly enough grunt to drive them. Maximum volume we tried was 85 and that was very loud, in fact far too loud for normal listening. Detail and depth was excellent.

We liked it so much, that we ordered one.

DG…
Nice, I'm jealous for sure! All out of my price range sadly. :cry:

Just to be clear for posterity though, the volume is based on the amplifier gain (which is slightly less with the Selekt class D carts than Linn's stand alone amps - so they can't be mixed), the grunt from higher rated amps gives more headroom for transients (which usually makes speakers more listenable at higher volume).

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice, I'm jealous for sure! All out of my price range sadly. :cry:

Just to be clear for posterity though, the volume is based on the amplifier gain (which is slightly less with the Selekt class D carts than Linn's stand alone amps - so they can't be mixed), the grunt from higher rated amps gives more headroom for transients (which usually makes speakers more listenable at higher volume).
We currently have Naim amplification. NAC 282, SNAXO 242 (606), 2 x SuperCap DR, 2 x NAP 250. So will notice a difference in presentation.

However, was very impressed by the performance. It was certainly no slouch.

Big change though, to go from 10 boxes to one, but looking forward to it.

DG…

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thanks !
I can’t tell, my EABi drives them fine which has similar spec I believe. I would like to experience a little bit more slam/drive/push.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can’t tell, my EABi drives them fine which has similar spec I believe. I would like to experience a little bit more slam/drive/push.
This is my slight worry. I have Mx100s (same as in the AEBi) and was going to go A4200, partly for the 'more oomph' the 200s would give. Then @DiggyGun comes in to muddy the waters!
I didn’t previously experience a lack of slam, but with the Utopik I've definitely lost some.
So I'm back to the conundrum. Get the lineout modules and wait another year for the 4200, or just get the power amp modules and be done a year earlier.

Suffolkboy

Wammer
Apr 19, 2020
This is my slight worry. I have Mx100s (same as in the AEBi) and was going to go A4200, partly for the 'more oomph' the 200s would give. Then @DiggyGun comes in to muddy the waters!
I didn’t previously experience a lack of slam, but with the Utopik I've definitely lost some.
So I'm back to the conundrum. Get the lineout modules and wait another year for the 4200, or just get the power amp modules and be done a year earlier.
If you get the power amp modules, it’s the organik dac that costs significantly more. If you didn’t like the power amp module’s, I’m sure they are quite saleable or do a deal with your dealer for line out modules, and 4200 retaining the same dacs. I don’t think the 4200 will bring much benefit.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you get the power amp modules, it’s the organik dac that costs significantly more. If you didn’t like the power amp module’s, I’m sure they are quite saleable or do a deal with your dealer for line out modules, and 4200 retaining the same dacs. I don’t think the 4200 will bring much benefit.
Yeah others have said the same. I think I'm in two minds cos I like the flexibility of the lineouts, could then add any amp I want. May even keep my 6100 till it dies.

Reactions: silkie

FearOfMusic

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2018
Bristol, UK
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is my slight worry. I have Mx100s (same as in the AEBi) and was going to go A4200, partly for the 'more oomph' the 200s would give.
I was driving Kudos Super 20s with a AEBi and sought more "ooomph". I tried a sub on audition for several days and was underwhelmed. An A4200 did the trick for me. I was content that I had made the right decision several years ago. I am not so sure that I would do the same thing now at current prices.

Plus, I am not confident that Akurate will ever get Organik ... I gave up waiting and switched the AEBi for a KEB (with Organik) ... and I love it. Rhetorically, is a Selekt Organik power amp combo "better value" than AEB with Katalyst with A4200?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online