Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s been a while since I created the last Linn trivia quiz, and a lot has changed in the Linn world.

Try your hand at answering these trivia questions. These are not difficult, but it will test your current knowledge of Linn products. Answers to be posted later…

1) Linn is about to release a new power supply to many of their products in their current lineup, to replace the Dynamik power supply. What is the name of this new power supply, and what new product release already has it installed?

2) The Linn LP12 has a new bearing released a couple of years ago. What is it called?

3) Linn developed its own DAC in the last 2 years that is available in some of Linn’s products when you buy a new piece of Linn. What is the DAC called and what Linn products can you buy with it already installed?

4) Looking at question 3 and the new Linn developed DAC, what products can be retrofitted with this new DAC at the moment?

5) Looking at question 3 and 4, what Linn products have been announced that will probably have this new DAC available for retrofit in the future?

6) What are design differences between the Klimax DSM/3 Hub and the 2018 variant Klimax DSM/2 Hub that have resulted in significant improvements in sound quality in the DSM/3 Hub

7) Does Linn currently sell any new passive speakers and what are they?

8) What are the current available options to stream music through a Linn streamer besides using a NAS?

9) What are the Linn control points available to select music for streaming?

10) What new upgrades will be available for the LP12 in the coming year?

11) Next year, in 2023 will be an important anniversary for Linn. How many years will Linn have been in business in 2023?

12) Are Linn streamers Roon ready?

13) Linn streamers can process and stream how many discrete channels of music in surround?

14) If the rumours are true, what new products are Linn thinking of releasing in 2023?

15) In Space Optimisation v2 what are some of the room parameters that must be input into SOv2 to be able to activate it and start the calculations to create a new profile?

16) What subwoofers does Linn currently sell?

17) What centre channel speaker does Linn currently sell?

18) What are the best ways to get information to answer questions on your Linn products when you have a problem or am curious?

19) There is another audio manufacturer in the world named Linn. What do they produce?

20) Where did the name for Linn come from?

21) What is the name of Linn’s newest top model phono cartridge?

22) Linn has stopped production of many of their products in one of their most iconic line-ups. What is the name of this product lineup and what is it being replaced with?

23) What new innovations did Linn develop over the last 15 years that are groundbreaking for the audio industry?

24) What is the top of the range Linn system that you can buy new from Linn at the moment?

25) What are the options to sign into the Linn account?

26) Add in your own trivia questions here for the people on the Wam….

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Some of those I can't answer (I could tell you but I'd have to kill you ;) ). Overall I also find the list way to digital/streamer centrik. To balance that I will answer 10.
Karousel (#2), Ekstatik, Kendo, Arko, Koil, Lingo 4, Radikal 2 and probably Utopik (see #1). You didn't say how new!

Reactions: Paulssurround

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some of those I can't answer (I could tell you but I'd have to kill you ;) ). Overall I also find the list way to digital/streamer centrik. To balance that I will answer 10.
Karousel (#2), Ekstatik, Kendo, Arko, Koil, Lingo 4, Radikal 2 and probably Utopik (see #1). You didn't say how new!
Good for you!!!

You got 2 out of 25 questions right 😛😂😂

Reactions: Newton John

Piercro

Linner from ages
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Milan
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
1) Utopik 2) Karousel Bearing 3) Organik. You can buy new with NG Klimax DSM, Klimax Exaktbox, Klimax 350 and Selekt DSM 4) Old Klimax DS/DSM Klimax 350 and klimax exaktboxes 5) ??? 6) Organik DAC, Master Clock, New Chassis that separates Analog from Digital and power, Buttons and Wheel 7) Majik 109, Majik 140, Majik 112 and Klimax 350 passive (partially) 8) TIDAL, Qobuz, Spotify Connect, Airplay 1&2, Roon, TuneIn, Calm Radio, Deezer 9) Linn App for iOS, Kazoo for Android, PC or Mac, 3rd party DLNA like Bubble DS 10) I know only current released... no idea of rumors 11) 50 12) yes 13) up to 7 channels + 2 mono subs 14) Utopik upgrades... 15) Environmental (Inside Temperature and Humidity), Optimization Preference, Concrete, Drywall, Partition, Glass - Single Glazed 16) no sub 17) Majik 112 18) Linn docs and Linn Owners club 19) Speakers 20) Taking its name from a local park in Glasgow 21) Ekstatik 22) Akurate to Selekt 23) Digital Streamers DS/DSM 24) Linn Klimax System made of NG Klimax DSM + Klimax 350 Speakers but probably best is NG Klimax DSM + Klimax 350 + Klimax Exaktboxes + Klimax Solos 25) web, Linn app and Kazoo

26) On Linn boards what is motioned from the tradition and why?

Last edited:
  • Upvote

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Oh, a challenge, is it?
1) Utopik
2) Karousel
3) Organik
4) Klimax DS, Klimax DSM, Klimax 350, Klimax Crossovers, Selekt DSM
5) I would say possibly rather than probably, but it could make it's way into Akubariks and maybe even Akurodiks
6) Likely a bunch of things but most notable would be improved clock circuit, improvements in the power supply, better casework and improved circuit layout with better grounding
7) Yes, Majik 109, 140 and 112; custom install 104C and 106C; Klimax 350 at an exorbitant price so nobody will buy them
8) Since it supports AirPlay you can stream anything that is on your iPhone/iPad. As to integrated services: TIDAL, Qobuz, Spotify Connect, Airplay, Roon, TuneIn, Calm Radio
9) The Linn app and Kazoo
10) Karousel (#2), Ekstatik, Kendo, Arko, Koil, Lingo 4, Radikal 2 and probably Utopik (see #1). You didn't say how new!
11) 50
12) A catch question? No Linn units are not Roon Ready, they are Roon Tested. There is a difference in the level of Roon compatibility
13) Mostly 5. 7 on Selekt DSM in a certain configuration
14) Utopik upgrades...and I'll leave it there
15) Room dimensions, dimensions of doors and windows, composition of some surfaces (but I could be wrong as I don't mess with SO)
16) Trick question - None
17) Majik 112
18) If you are a customer, call our store! ;)
19) Another trick. No there isn't. There was LinnDrum which closed in 1985. Their assets are owned by somebody who I believe still makes parts. Then there was Linn Audio in the US who made great big horn-loaded speakers designed by Roger Linn. They also appear to no longer be extant (website is gone).
20) Linn Park, area of Glasgow near Castle Engineering where Linn started
21) Ekstatik
22) LK series components. Everything electronic. (What, not the answer you were looking for?)
23) Developed? Last 15 years? High-res digital streaming. (What, not the answer you were looking for?)
24) Klimax LP12/Urika1, Klimax DSM, Klimax Exakt crossovers, 8 Klimax Solos, Klimax 350P. $270,030
25) Web, Linn app, Kazoo
26) Clyde built. Echoes the tradition of fine engineering involved in shipbuilding, bridges, etc.

27) What Linn ground breaking technology disappeared from the line and reappeared many years later. (And will it disappear again?)

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1) Utopik 2) Karousel Bearing 3) Organik. You can buy new with NG Klimax DSM, Klimax Exaktbox, Klimax 350 and Selekt DSM 4) Old Klimax DS/DSM Klimax 350 and klimax exaktboxes 5) ??? 6) Organik DAC, Master Clock, New Chassis that separates Analog from Digital and power, Buttons and Wheel 7) Majik 109, Majik 140, Majik 112 and Klimax 350 passive (partially) 8) TIDAL, Qobuz, Spotify Connect, Airplay 1&2, Roon, TuneIn, Calm Radio, Deezer 9) Linn App for iOS, Kazoo for Android, PC or Mac, 3rd party DLNA like Bubble DS 10) I know only current released... no idea of rumors 11) 50 12) yes 13) up to 7 channels + 2 mono subs 14) Utopik upgrades... 15) Environmental (Inside Temperature and Humidity), Optimization Preference, Concrete, Drywall, Partition, Glass - Single Glazed 16) no sub 17) Majik 112 18) Linn docs and Linn Owners club 19) Speakers 20) Taking its name from a local park in Glasgow 21) Ekstatik 22) Akurate to Selekt 23) Digital Streamers DS/DSM 24) Linn Klimax System made of NG Klimax DSM + Klimax 350 Speakers but probably best is NG Klimax DSM + Klimax 350 + Klimax Exaktboxes + Klimax Solos 25) web, Linn app and Kazoo

26) On Linn boards what is motioned from the tradition and why?
Outstanding job!!!

Thank you

For 26) As Thomas OK wrote, Clyde built, which harkens back to the days when Glasgow was a major shipbuilding and engineering centre

• Love
Reactions: Piercro

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh, a challenge, is it?
1) Utopik
2) Karousel
3) Organik
4) Klimax DS, Klimax DSM, Klimax 350, Klimax Crossovers, Selekt DSM
5) I would say possibly rather than probably, but it could make it's way into Akubariks and maybe even Akurodiks
6) Likely a bunch of things but most notable would be improved clock circuit, improvements in the power supply, better casework and improved circuit layout with better grounding
7) Yes, Majik 109, 140 and 112; custom install 104C and 106C; Klimax 350 at an exorbitant price so nobody will buy them
8) Since it supports AirPlay you can stream anything that is on your iPhone/iPad. As to integrated services: TIDAL, Qobuz, Spotify Connect, Airplay, Roon, TuneIn, Calm Radio
9) The Linn app and Kazoo
10) Karousel (#2), Ekstatik, Kendo, Arko, Koil, Lingo 4, Radikal 2 and probably Utopik (see #1). You didn't say how new!
11) 50
12) A catch question? No Linn units are not Roon Ready, they are Roon Tested. There is a difference in the level of Roon compatibility
13) Mostly 5. 7 on Selekt DSM in a certain configuration
14) Utopik upgrades...and I'll leave it there
15) Room dimensions, dimensions of doors and windows, composition of some surfaces (but I could be wrong as I don't mess with SO)
16) Trick question - None
17) Majik 112
18) If you are a customer, call our store! ;)
19) Another trick. No there isn't. There was LinnDrum which closed in 1985. Their assets are owned by somebody who I believe still makes parts. Then there was Linn Audio in the US who made great big horn-loaded speakers designed by Roger Linn. They also appear to no longer be extant (website is gone).
20) Linn Park, area of Glasgow near Castle Engineering where Linn started
21) Ekstatik
22) LK series components. Everything electronic. (What, not the answer you were looking for?)
23) Developed? Last 15 years? High-res digital streaming. (What, not the answer you were looking for?)
24) Klimax LP12/Urika1, Klimax DSM, Klimax Exakt crossovers, 8 Klimax Solos, Klimax 350P. $270,030
25) Web, Linn app, Kazoo
26) Clyde built. Echoes the tradition of fine engineering involved in shipbuilding, bridges, etc.

27) What Linn ground breaking technology disappeared from the line and reappeared many years later. (And will it disappear again?)
Exceptional job!!!

You are a steely eyed missile man!!!

For 6) In addition to your excellent answer, I was also thinking of the vibration control measures that Linn introduced to their circuit boards, the footers on the casework, and the exceptionally heavy CNC casework to mitigate vibrations and EMI

For 18) I was also thinking of the Linn Helpline in addition to the answers given by you and Piercro

For 22) I was also thinking of the Akurate line of products

I don’t know the answer to 27) 😊

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
For 22) I was also thinking of the Akurate line of products
I was sure you were, but that's a young whippersnapper answer. Hence the qualification of my answer and the dig further into history for the reply.

Does anybody besides me find it interesting that Linn, who started with electronics in roughly 13" square boxes and then branched out into various other shapes, is now making all their new stuff in roughly 14" square boxes?

Ben obviously nailed #27

Last edited:
  • Haha

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does anybody besides me find it interesting that Linn, who started with electronics in roughly 13" square boxes and then branched out into various other shapes, is now making all their new stuff in roughly 14" square boxes?
That’s inflation for you…

’troll

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Time to move to the next level of extreme Linn trivia:

28) Where does Linn source their aluminum billets for making the Klimax DSM/3’s

29) How many LP12’s have been manufactured by Linn since they started production almost 50 years ago.

30) How many countries does Linn have authorized dealerships at the moment?

31) Who is the person you are most likely to have a reply from if you contact the Linn Helpline

32) What is the suggested torque value of Linn circuit boards screws that hold the circuit boards to the chassis?

33) What companies use to supply Linn with DAC’s over the years

34) Who manufactured the first tone arms for the LP12

35) Name all the phono cartridges that Linn has sold for their turntables Over the years?

36) Who is the current owner of Linn?

37) What makes the Karousel bearing a significant improvement over the previous Cirkus bearing?

38) Why did Linn stop making K400 speaker cable?

39) What happened to the Linn store in Harrod’s London?

40) If you were to visit the Linn factory, what kinds of manufacturing facilities are you likely to see

41) What do Linn call the area of the factory building that has demo rooms for Linn products

42) Where is Linn’s museum to show off some of their legacy products?

43) Does Linn still have a recording studio and produce music for a variety of musicians?

44) If you visit the Linn factory, you will be provided to wear what items provided by Linn for your tour

45) What is the most likely pub you will meet other Linn enthusiasts in Glasgow, the night before your tour and what kind of food are you likely to eat for dinner

46) Name some of the people that are the best known LP12 fettlers on the planet.

48) Linn has produced many speakers over the years. Name them.

49) What car manufacturer had Linn build their car audio equipment many years ago?

50) The cost of living continues to go up over time. The Majik 109’s are projected to rise in cost over time, so the question is: What year will the Majik 109’s cost the same as what a pair of Organik 350‘s cost now? 🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: quinn_t

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It’s been a while since I created the last Linn trivia quiz, and a lot has changed in the Linn world.

Try your hand at answering these trivia questions. These are not difficult, but it will test your current knowledge of Linn products. Answers to be posted later…

1) Linn is about to release a new power supply to many of their products in their current lineup, to replace the Dynamik power supply. What is the name of this new power supply, and what new product release already has it installed? Utopik

2) The Linn LP12 has a new bearing released a couple of years ago. What is it called? Karousel

3) Linn developed its own DAC in the last 2 years that is available in some of Linn’s products when you buy a new piece of Linn. What is the DAC called and what Linn products can you buy with it already installed? Organik. KDSM/3, Selekt Classic, Selekt Edition, Selekt mono module, Selekt stereo module, 350, Klimax Exaktbox/2

4) Looking at question 3 and the new Linn developed DAC, what products can be retrofitted with this new DAC at the moment? Selekt Classic, Klimax DS, Klimax DSM, 350, Klimax Exaktbox.

5) Looking at question 3 and 4, what Linn products have been announced that will probably have this new DAC available for retrofit in the future? As far as I'm aware, none. Speculatively it might go into Akubarik and Akudorik, the rest of the Akurate range highly unlikely.

6) What are design differences between the Klimax DSM/3 Hub and the 2018 variant Klimax DSM/2 Hub that have resulted in significant improvements in sound quality in the DSM/3 Hub. Construction, suspension, clock, some say the optical ethernet port others not so much.

7) Does Linn currently sell any new passive speakers and what are they? Yes, Majik 109, 112 and 140. 350

8) What are the current available options to stream music through a Linn streamer besides using a NAS? Qobuz, Tidal, TuneIn, Spotify, Airable, any suitable internet radio URL, Calm Radio, Deezer

9) What are the Linn control points available to select music for streaming? Kazoo, Linn App, then lots of 3rd party ones like BubbleDS, Lumin etc.

10) What new upgrades will be available for the LP12 in the coming year? Something 50th Anniversary, expect a new top of the range arm, Radikal in new style Klimax and Selekt Edition boxes?

11) Next year, in 2023 will be an important anniversary for Linn. How many years will Linn have been in business in 2023? 50 since the company was formed, 51 since the LP12 was released

12) Are Linn streamers Roon ready? Yes, if you must.

13) Linn streamers can process and stream how many discrete channels of music in surround? 8 channels, but not sure that it can be streamed?

14) If the rumours are true, what new products are Linn thinking of releasing in 2023? Selektbox in Classic and Edition flavours with Exakt, DAC and Amp modules, possibly even phono stage / LP12 power supply modules? A really really top end speaker? Selekt integrated speaker with modules in the back? Some 3-way Selekt level passive speakers would be interesting, as Selekt is very 3-way orientated.

15) In Space Optimisation v2 what are some of the room parameters that must be input into SOv2 to be able to activate it and start the calculations to create a new profile? Height, width, length, materials, features such as windows / doors

16) What subwoofers does Linn currently sell? None

17) What centre channel speaker does Linn currently sell? 112

18) What are the best ways to get information to answer questions on your Linn products when you have a problem or am curious? Linn dealer, Linn helpdesk or sometimes better/quicker use the Wam and Facebook groups

19) There is another audio manufacturer in the world named Linn. What do they produce? Ridiculously large photoshopped speakers

20) Where did the name for Linn come from? Linn Park in Glasgow - next to the original engineering factory

21) What is the name of Linn’s newest top model phono cartridge? Ekstatik

22) Linn has stopped production of many of their products in one of their most iconic line-ups. What is the name of this product lineup and what is it being replaced with? Akurate, claimed to be replaced with Selekt LP12 and Selekt Edition hub thingummy, but there are lots of gaps.

23) What new innovations did Linn develop over the last 15 years that are groundbreaking for the audio industry? DS, I guess you could include their development of high quality SMPS, SPACE, Organik (although other similar concepts are older), Selekt modularity, Exakt, digitised phono stage.

24) What is the top of the range Linn system that you can buy new from Linn at the moment? Klimax 350 with all the Exakt stuff and lots of Solos

25) What are the options to sign into the Linn account? Web, Kazoo, Linn App

27) Which affable Canadian will exhaust you with city tours, music listening and visiting other hifi systems if you visit?
28) How much did a Klimax DS cost in GBP in February 2013?
29) Which band played at Linn's 40th Anniversary party?
30) Which piece of medical equipment is involved in the construction of the Ekos arm?

Last edited:
  • Upvote

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Time to move to the next level of extreme Linn trivia:

28) Where does Linn source their aluminum billets for making the Klimax DSM/3’s

29) How many LP12’s have been manufactured by Linn since they started production almost 50 years ago.

30) How many countries does Linn have authorized dealerships at the moment?

31) Who is the person you are most likely to have a reply from if you contact the Linn Helpline

32) What is the suggested torque value of Linn circuit boards screws that hold the circuit boards to the chassis?

33) What companies use to supply Linn with DAC’s over the years

34) Who manufactured the first tone arms for the LP12

35) Name all the phono cartridges that Linn has sold for their turntables Over the years?

36) Who is the current owner of Linn?

37) What makes the Karousel bearing a significant improvement over the previous Cirkus bearing?

38) Why did Linn stop making K400 speaker cable?

39) What happened to the Linn store in Harrod’s London?

40) If you were to visit the Linn factory, what kinds of manufacturing facilities are you likely to see

41) What do Linn call the area of the factory building that has demo rooms for Linn products

42) Where is Linn’s museum to show off some of their legacy products?

43) Does Linn still have a recording studio and produce music for a variety of musicians?

44) If you visit the Linn factory, you will be provided to wear what items provided by Linn for your tour

45) What is the most likely pub you will meet other Linn enthusiasts in Glasgow, the night before your tour and what kind of food are you likely to eat for dinner

46) Name some of the people that are the best known LP12 fetterers on the planet.

48) Linn has produced many speakers over the years. Name them.

49) What car manufacturer had Linn build their car audio equipment many years ago?

50) The cost of living continues to go up over time. The Majik 109’s are projected to rise in cost over time, so the question is: What year will the Majik 109’s cost the same as what a pair of Organik 350‘s cost now? 🤪

I'd like to know who the hell is supplying your 'Stash' Paul? Because I'm thinking, I'm definitely in need of some!! It's taxing enough just reading this let alone writing it :ROFLMAO: ;)(y)

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
27) Which affable Canadian will exhaust you with city tours, music listening and visiting other hifi systems if you visit?
28) How much did a Klimax DS cost in GBP when launched in February 2013?
29) Which band played at Linn's 40th Anniversary party?
30) Which piece of medical equipment is involved in the construction of the Ekos arm?
27) That could be me 😃

28) My guess would be £12,000?

29) Admiral Fallow

30) No idea

Last edited:

CounterTenor

Wammer
Mar 3, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

1) Linn is about to release a new power supply to many of their products in their current lineup, to replace the Dynamik power supply. What is the name of this new power supply, and what new product release already has it installed?

2) The Linn LP12 has a new bearing released a couple of years ago. What is it called?

3) Linn developed its own DAC in the last 2 years that is available in some of Linn’s products when you buy a new piece of Linn. What is the DAC called and what Linn products can you buy with it already installed?

4) Looking at question 3 and the new Linn developed DAC, what products can be retrofitted with this new DAC at the moment?

5) Looking at question 3 and 4, what Linn products have been announced that will probably have this new DAC available for retrofit in the future?

6) What are design differences between the Klimax DSM/3 Hub and the 2018 variant Klimax DSM/2 Hub that have resulted in significant improvements in sound quality in the DSM/3 Hub

7) Does Linn currently sell any new passive speakers and what are they?

8) What are the current available options to stream music through a Linn streamer besides using a NAS?

9) What are the Linn control points available to select music for streaming?

11) Next year, in 2023 will be an important anniversary for Linn. How many years will Linn have been in business in 2023?

12) Are Linn streamers Roon ready?

13) Linn streamers can process and stream how many discrete channels of music in surround?

14) If the rumours are true, what new products are Linn thinking of releasing in 2023?

15) In Space Optimisation v2 what are some of the room parameters that must be input into SOv2 to be able to activate it and start the calculations to create a new profile?

16) What subwoofers does Linn currently sell?

17) What centre channel speaker does Linn currently sell?

18) What are the best ways to get information to answer questions on your Linn products when you have a problem or am curious?

19) There is another audio manufacturer in the world named Linn. What do they produce?

20) Where did the name for Linn come from?

21) What is the name of Linn’s newest top model phono cartridge?

22) Linn has stopped production of many of their products in one of their most iconic line-ups. What is the name of this product lineup and what is it being replaced with?

23) What new innovations did Linn develop over the last 15 years that are groundbreaking for the audio industry?

24) What is the top of the range Linn system that you can buy new from Linn at the moment?

25) What are the options to sign into the Linn account?

It is time for you to give up on retirement and go back to work.🤣

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles