incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be helpful to know the output impedance (Z) of the Bottle Head pre, or be pointed to a circuit so we could make an educated guess. That determines how well it can drive a cable, with regards to loosing higher frequencies (HF). Lower output impedance, to a point, is better.

Reactions: newlash09

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi all.

Iam considering moving my turntable from the present rack to the center of my right side wall. This will entail running almost 4 mtr long interconnects from my Big bottle mk3 phono stage to my MFA passive preamp. Will there be any degradation in sound quality or hum issues from the above.

Alternatively I also have a active preamp in storage. I read somewhere that the MFA passive preamp can convert a incoming RCA input to balanced via its XLR outputs. I really don't know if that's really possible. However if that is so, can i feed the RCA output from my phono stage to RCA inputs of the MFA. Then use the MFA with its volume at max position to send the signal via 4 mtr long XLR cables to my active preamp.

I know it sounds like a lot of faff. But iam really cramped for real estate at the moment. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I use 6m long RCA to DIN cables from my preamp to active speakers. I originally had a problem with very low level hum but cured it by making up new leads using cable with each conductor individually screened. So this cable seems ideal for protecting against unwanted interference on long runs I also use the same cable for all my interconnects and I could not hear any difference between it and my Studio Connections (Abbey Road) cables. At £1/metre it's probably worth a punt.
Tech details here

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/jy-1166/4-core-individually-screened-audio/dp/CBBR4161
I believe this is the same cable but available by the metre
https://oidiosound.co.uk/pro-power-jy-1166-wire

• Love

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be helpful to know the output impedance (Z) of the Bottle Head pre, or be pointed to a circuit so we could make an educated guess. That determines how well it can drive a cable, with regards to loosing higher frequencies (HF). Lower output impedance, to a point, is better.
Thanks a lot sir. Will check same in the owners forum and will revert back :)

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just found that the output impedance is 400 ohms sir :)

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just found that the output impedance is 400 ohms sir
Good, that's should be low enough, so theoretically the only benefit of balanced would be less chance of picking up audible noise, on a good day, or..... This is where it gets more interesting and theoretical at this point, do you know if all your power sockets are on the same electricity circuit. When using the unbalanced cable, need to discourage mains ground wire borne noise from traveling through screen of your 4m unbalanced cable.

• Love

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good, that's should be low enough, so theoretically the only benefit of balanced would be less chance of picking up audible noise, on a good day, or..... This is where it gets more interesting and theoretical at this point, do you know if all your power sockets are on the same electricity circuit. When using the unbalanced cable, need to discourage mains ground wire borne noise from traveling through screen of your 4m unbalanced cable.
Thanks sir :)

But I will eventually be running balanced to a Deqx processor, once it is launched later this year. As regards the power sockets, I've been running everything off one 1200W regenerator from PS audio. But once I go fully active, the regenerator will not be able to cope up with the power demand of so many amps. So iam planning on shifting my sources to the power regenerator, and all amps direct to wall. And iam vehemently praying that I don't end up with ground loops, as I've already experienced them in the past. But iam keeping my fingers crossed for now sir.

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks sir :)

But I will eventually be running balanced to a Deqx processor, once it is launched later this year. As regards the power sockets, I've been running everything off one 1200W regenerator from PS audio. But once I go fully active, the regenerator will not be able to cope up with the power demand of so many amps. So iam planning on shifting my sources to the power regenerator, and all amps direct to wall. And iam vehemently praying that I don't end up with ground loops, as I've already experienced them in the past. But iam keeping my fingers crossed for now sir.
If every thing is coming from one place, should be OK. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Disclaimer, above comments are from an engineering perspective, getting the basics right. With regards to the finer minutiae of how each change effects the perceived sounds, that's something else altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles