LOOK ! AN UNBELEVABLE DEAL ON EBAY , BE QUICK !

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I also get a little annoyed when I see something I have been watching on eBay turn up on a forum, why do you all do it ?

Every time something is mentioned the bids increase and price almost doubles overnight in some cases, which is great if its you that is selling the item, but in a lot of cases something that a forum member has been quietly hoping no one will get noticed ends up on the front page so to speak.

And this is what leads in my view to some items getting overpriced.

So it can have 3 or 4 eBay watchers, then its put on here , then 5 or 6 members and another 6 or 7 browsers of the forum may take notice then a few friends of friends etc etc.

Meanwhile the poor chaps with kids and little money may just feel down heartened that a potential bargain has just became a false dream as the little bargain in the dark corner has the spotlight turned on to it.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
I thnk this is most odd, really I do.

eBay has such a massive massive audience - much wider than any of the classifieds forums - that how anyone expects that their little secret will not get rumbled by someone else (eBay has a search function, you know?) is surely kidding themselves ?

I've had a look at some items which were flagged up (1.8 II's last week for example) but very rarely bid, as there only a handful of things that I am really after and i think (from a friend who worked for eBay) that most people have similar approach in this category.

Forevery member who has his eye on item x currently at y quid, there's no way of knowing how many extra 'bidders' come into play from a wigwam 'heads-up' is there? I could as so often be completely wrong but I suspect there are equally as many who benefit from such tips as those who mutter if it wasn't for those pesky kids I would have won that damn auction

And it has happened to me several times, but whether the winning bidder was a wammer or some other I don't know and don't care. He was prepared to pay more than I for something, so fair enough. It's eBay not oxfam!

Of course, I don't doubt it's annoying as hell,I completely agree with you on that, but lots of things are more annoying (and zero sum) than this, I reckon

Arfa

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2006
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be very difficult to confirm any link between increased auction prices and coverage on these forums. I think you must not underestimate just how much auctions get more bids near the end. To begin with the item will be several pages along from the first page of search results, as it nears the end it will show up on the first page and then finally at the top. Thus will naturally gain more attention.

Also there is a lot of people who 'snipe' (bid at very last second) and there are many companies offering software or these services available. Its not just well known that bids at the last minute in general will result in a lower final price, its a well researched fact; for a bid 30 secs from end, few people will have chance to counter bid a higher amount. Other auction sites like Yahoo, combat this by increasing the end time after each bid.

Sure it is very annoying seeing what initially seems a bargin, rocket in price. But by the very nature of auctions, things start cheap and thus pyschologically you think you're getting a bargin, which leads you to get more attached to the item and ultimately you end up bidding more or get more pissed off when you miss it. Conversely classifieds start off at a high price, so its easier to dismiss them straightaway as not good value.

Of course there's always idiots who have no conception of what things are worth and think everything on eBay is a bargin, so bid daft prices...

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Crikey..someone is bitter!
wink.png

what did you miss out on? that rare studded bondage mask i posted a pic of last week?

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha Ha,

Look at that, I post an eBay bargain go away and play a skirmish on C&C and by the time I get back 111 hits.

So thats over 100 people thinking they may be missing something on eBay
tongue.png

So if there had been a Mana sound stage (two of which I was recently interested in but the were noted in wigwam and went for more than I could afford, though not that it was any wammers fault) or say a pair of nice speakers which had been listed in the wrong area, or a dac or a pre, which someone was hoping may go for a small amount how many of that 100 were actual wammers with an interest ? and how many browsers of the wigwam site ?

Sorry but I see it of no help to the people who are interested in goods on eBay and have spent time looking through the listings etc, to have them highlighted by wammers, if these wammers were in need of or genuinely interested they themselves would have found the item by doing the work themselves, instead of getting a quick link to a cheap bargain they may not really need.

After all , some of us have favorite searches , and spend the time looking for items which may be of benefit.

Anyway this wasnt at all meant to be that serious, just that some may think it worth considering that some others may have high hopes of getting a bargain dashed by the spotlighting of bargains, and if one spends a good few hours browsing the eBay postings for a bargain turntable or other item, it can be a little anoying to see the bargain highlighted, regardless of what it may or may not end up going for.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Sastusbulbas wrote:

Sorry but I see it of no help to the people who are interested in goods on eBay and have spent time looking through the listings etc, to have them highlighted by wammers, if these wammers were in need of or genuinely interested they themselves would have found the item by doing the work themselves, instead of getting a quick link to a cheap bargain they may not really need.
I appreciate this is becoming only vaguely serious, but if they're only gonna look and are not gonna bid, what the hell is the problem then????
smile.png

PS: I think it's up to them to decide what they do or do not need, Uncle Joe

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cloth-Ears wrote:

A wammer may be extremely interested ina piece of kit for their actual use but just not happen to have seen it on that occasion. After all, we can't spend our days browsing eBay all the time.Like I told you, you're right, but not as much as the other consideration is right. Sorry.
Its only one side of the argument Cloth-Ears, so you are only half right
wink.png

Like it says though, if a wammer is that interested then it can be put in your favorite searches then you would recieve an email, so there
tongue.png

Some of us dont have a lot of spare time, but still end up using some of that spare time to search for items:X

So if two people have the same tight time resources, but one makes the time to search eBay to find an item he is after
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif
then maybe it isnt as important to the one if he makes no time to search ?
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
So someone may spend time looking, just to see it freely advertised on a forum
38786-6.gif.132cf51c49b8cd26f08985f56fa67647.gif
, though of course if wigwam gets a commision on advertising ebayers items
kaffeetrinker_2.gif.ba76878d555418d609a6f9e8389072ea.gif
I guess someone is benefitting :minikiev:

Free loaders :Bouncey:and charity givers
26.gif.8017d59dcd366c78cba0db9463c65b0f.gif
only frustrate those who also think the time is worth spending
76.gif.3cbb85032d80aef89d0d9e373387958a.gif
its not us wammers against the other eBay users :fight:everyone puts the time in, so the genuine eBay hunters deserve the chance and hope
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif
, all listing here does is decrease someone he has made an efforts chances, however slightly.

I feel it a little unfair on those who are genuinely after items and put time and effort into eBay, to see people who cannot be bothered to put the time in get a bargain because the work has been charitably done for them
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Forums and the internet are a great way of gaining information quickly about what is best to buy, where you can buy it, others' experiences etc. People like to share good and bad news, and all of us on here use the internet and forums in this way.

That is useful if you want to ask about how to skin a cat or juice a frog or find the best place to purchase tapirs, but is a double edged sword if you want some information to remain as hidden as possible i.e. a bargain, rare leaping mongoose typed 'mangeese' on eBay

i'd be pissed off as well with the link for the mangeese appearing on the slipperypetsrus forum, but unfortunately you can't have it both ways. harsh but realistic.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anthony wrote:

Forums and the internet are a great way of gaining information quickly about what is best to buy, where you can buy it, others' experiences etc. People like to share good and bad news, and all of us on here use the internet and forums in this way.That is useful if you want to ask about how to skin a cat or juice a frog or find the best place to purchase tapirs, but is a double edged sword if you want some information to remain as hidden as possible i.e. a bargain, rare leaping mongoose typed 'mangeese' on eBay

i'd be pissed off as well with the link for the mangeese appearing on the slipperypetsrus forum, but unfortunately you can't have it both ways. harsh but realistic.
watch it clothy- that sound like a veiled threat to me:shock:

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
It's a doggy dog world mate I once brought a Tag dac for £300 buy now price then a year on got back £420 via eBay auction just the luck of the draw.
tongue.png

Iv watched many items and feedback remarks or lack of can somtimes mean a cheap price or items have sold for more than new too,many people watch auctions endingsoon for example and can get wrong worded ads for peanuts or end up bidding much more than what it's worth.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Craig wrote:

Erik, you f*****
biggrin.png
I'm only look and not bid. Honest.
Craig, I believe that without any doubt.
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
wink.png

And it gives avery hugeGerman forum where this veryofferings are veryon-listed all the time.

A week laterthe same model, with no better description, was sold forover € 1,200 (still a good price I think).

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Sats'..........I - and perhaps many other wammers - no doubt express opinions that are in part sourced from expensive glossy hi fi magazines, trips to the dealer (petrol / cycle chain / wear and tear to sneaker soles, etc)

I for one am tired of these free loaders and charity cases who think they can glean (shurely shome......) tit bits instead of doing the hard work themselves and it is time this matter was addressed, and the finaincal gains made my these gypsies redressed

Can we make a sticky with our bank account numbers so free laoders can make a suitable deposit??

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Of course it may also be better if people who wanted to tell the world of the Rogers LS3/5a or similar which is poorly listed and at no bids with a day to go, If the thread was posted in the classifieds, after all is that not where stuff thats for sale goes.

In fact, we could tell everyone of the eBay bargains that some may not know of, and give reviews of kit which is on eBay which we have experience of.

We could put 100's of postings into the classified sections and reviews sections
smile.png
and it may even reduce some of the dealers clasified prices
wink.png
if there is as much posting as we can manage
biggrin.png

In fact, we may even get more members if we spend all our own time listing other peoples items from eBay, think of all the potencial buyers who could end up finding bargains quicker, they could use wigwams free service instead of logging into eBay, and if the item has a review from a fellow wammer, all the better ?

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Craig wrote:

Sats'..........I - and perhaps many other wammers - no doubt express opinions that are in part sourced from expensive glossy hi fi magazines, trips to the dealer (petrol / cycle chain / wear and tear to sneaker soles, etc) I for one am tired of these free loaders and charity cases who think they can glean (shurely shome......) tit bits instead of doing the hard work themselves and it is time this matter was addressed, and the finaincal gains made my these gypsies redressed

Can we make a sticky with our bank account numbers so free laoders can make a suitable deposit??
just so I understand, you want some one to leave you a sticky deposit?

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
dudywoxer wrote:

Craig wrote:
Sats'..........I - and perhaps many other wammers - no doubt express opinions that are in part sourced from expensive glossy hi fi magazines, trips to the dealer (petrol / cycle chain / wear and tear to sneaker soles, etc) I for one am tired of these free loaders and charity cases who think they can glean (shurely shome......) tit bits instead of doing the hard work themselves and it is time this matter was addressed, and the finaincal gains made my these gypsies redressed

just so I understand, you want some one to leave you a sticky deposit?
Yes, absolutely; bang on the money (shot)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles