Looking for a laid-back MC phono stage

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone and happy new year :)
I have recently bought an Linn LP12 Akurate with MC Krystal cartridge that I love.
It is amplified by the Heed Phono Quasar III (with his QPSU).
While I enjoyed the sound, I found that something wrong was happening ... and I was true.
Actually, I have discovered that the jumper of the Quasar was set by default to 470 Ohm.
Switching to 100 Ohm, the sound is now very transparent and too "modern" for me.

So can you help me finding a phono preamp that is laid back in its presentation, and that is a bit "forgiving" (meaning not too much transparency).
The rest of my setup is Pass Labs Int 25 on Harbeth C7ES3.

Note that I have an hyperacusis, that's why I need a very laid back sound.

Thanks all for your inputs.

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm surprised it wasn't the opposite; I find that a cartridge that works best with 100 ohms loading is getting towards the strident/shrill end at 470 ohms. Sorry I can't be more helpful - perhaps a cable/phono stage/loading arrangement might give you a laid back presentation.

Reactions: uzzy and Rockchild

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would suggest looking at valve phono stages, say something from Icon Audio or Ming Da. That way you can tweak the sound by trying different valves.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Puresound phonostage at about £600 is very laid back sounding when compared to a Croft or Audion.

But. I wonder if I’m fact it’s might be better to seek a different cartridge instead? A Nagaoka MP110 would be a good place to start. It’s very modest. Some one here like the Hana cartridges @Lurch

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can find an English Electric Minimax Valve Phono Stage second hand & fit it with a Copper Cap rectifier you will have exactly the sound of your desire.

High & Low MC input + switched MM also I use my MC carts in the low tried the high but not for me.

Had mine for quite a few years now & used it with different carts & turntables and it just does it's job and gets out of the way. Smooth clean spatious & no fatigue at all.

E8135A04-46ED-4C94-8A5D-4FDD9EA9C320.jpeg

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone and happy new year :)
I have recently bought an Linn LP12 Akurate with MC Krystal cartridge that I love.
It is amplified by the Heed Phono Quasar III (with his QPSU).
While I enjoyed the sound, I found that something wrong was happening ... and I was true.
Actually, I have discovered that the jumper of the Quasar was set by default to 470 Ohm.
Switching to 100 Ohm, the sound is now very transparent and too "modern" for me.

So can you help me finding a phono preamp that is laid back in its presentation, and that is a bit "forgiving" (meaning not too much transparency).
The rest of my setup is Pass Labs Int 25 on Harbeth C7ES3.

Note that I have an hyperacusis, that's why I need a very laid back sound.

Thanks all for your inputs.
Hold your horses 😊

I know that phonostage very well and it’s far from bright or lethargic.

I am currently on my fifth trial phono leads from my turntable to phonostage and despite claims that there are specific phono leads (shielded), a decent well made copper derived cable is far better for this situation. My guess is your Linn is using the Linn Silver?

Reactions: HouseElf

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hold your horses 😊

I know that phonostage very well and it’s far from bright or lethargic.

I am currently on my fifth trial phono leads from my turntable to phonostage and despite claims that there are specific phono leads (shielded), a decent well made copper derived cable is far better for this situation. My guess is your Linn is using the Linn Silver?
Hi,
Not a single piece of silver in my whole setup :)
All my cables are smooth and natural sounding, I know very well the guy who specially make them for me and given my constraints.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,
Not a single piece of silver in my whole setup :)
All my cables are smooth and natural sounding, I know very well the guy who specially make them for me and given my constraints.
What’s the gain setting?

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Gain, as in output volume. Normally on that stage it’s around 55dB to 60dB
Sorry I am not an electronic expert :) but I can only play with these settings from the jumpers inside :
MM/MC : of course set to MC
Input Sensitivity 100µV / 330 / 600 : set to 100 µV (65 dB Gain according to Heed)
Impedance 100 Ohm / 470 / 1k : set to 100 Ohm

Does it answer your question ?

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry I am not an electronic expert :) but I can only play with these settings from the jumpers inside :
MM/MC : of course set to MC
Input Sensitivity 100µV / 330 / 600 : set to 100 µV (65 dB Gain according to Heed)
Impedance 100 Ohm / 470 / 1k : set to 100 Ohm

Does it answer your question ?
Ok no worries, it’s 60dB output for MC so if you have the load set at 100ohms, that’s about bang on with the Krystal. I had this conversation with Heed some time back as the gain is fixed. Your Krystal is 0.5mV output so I was looking at potential overload but it’s all good there.

Difficult to see the issue but I would never say the Heed is renown for brightness.

Your cartridge however probably does warrant a better stage but try if you can before you buy. I do know that the Ear phono is well regarded with the Krystal as is the Tron Convergence.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess the parasound jc3+ would not be a good candidate given my constraints ?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could always have a play with VTA, maybe running the cart slightly tail down will help matters as this will reduce the HF a bit whilst increasing the mids & LF.

1mm drop (arm pillar) = 0.25° change at the stylus.

Last edited:

Jason P

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2009
Somerset
AKA
Errr...Jason
You could always have a play with VTA, maybe running the cart slightly tail down will help matters as this will reduce the HF a bit whilst increasing the mids & LF.

1mm drop (arm pillar) = 0.25° change at the stylus.
This... you could try either double matting or stacking a few records underneath (old copies, not your mint first presses) as a 'quick and dirty' way of testing if VTA makes any difference. You might only need a slight change to hear it.

andreweast

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2009
London (SE)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm surprised it wasn't the opposite; I find that a cartridge that works best with 100 ohms loading is getting towards the strident/shrill end at 470 ohms. Sorry I can't be more helpful - perhaps a cable/phono stage/loading arrangement might give you a laid back presentation.

Worth reiterating this. Something doesn't make sense here; 100 Ohm should sound smoother.

Looking for a new phono stage should come after making sure you know exactly what loading you need, and the puzzling 470/100 contrast requires further investigation.

If you do look for a new stage, try and find one with multiple MC loading settings.

Reactions: jigsaw and myles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles