Looking for a laid-back MC phono stage

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks @Rockchild and do you think it would fit my expectations : laid-back sounding, smooth treble, no brightness but without being blurry ?

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry but don't understand what you mean by that :) (I'm french !)
I guess U mean that you will answer soon ?
The Dog was on a mission to be entertained 😊

The Sugden is renown for detailed but a relaxed and non fatiguing experience. Don’t get me wrong, it has a massive soundstage and stereo imaging is spot on. It’s also a silent stage, little or no unwanted noise regardless of cartridge used.
I used mine with Benz, Audio Technica, Goldring, Grado and VDH cartridges. There was not one that didn’t have synergy with the Sugden. The Sugdens output stage is extremely well thought out and probably the key to the sound I had.

Reactions: jigsaw

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would probably blame the tonearm as much as anything , remove it sell it on eBay and buy a used Ekos mk2 with the funds, you for sure wont regret it the cheaper Lin. tonearms are kids play things , but if new enough still fetch a decent price. I am waiting for the firing squad as I type this I know people love Linn stuff but the Akito and Krane tonearms are not upto what an Ekos can do or even a decent rega tonearm for that matter. A dedicated phono stage is always a good idea though.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also forgot to mention one important thing. Last sunday, I have done too many testing and it leads to confusion and listening fatigue.
After a good rest, I've finally listened to the Quasar set to 100 Ohm, and you were right saying it should be smoother than 470 Ohm config, it is ! It is also much more relax sounding.
So forgot about my first "complaint", sorry for that. The only thing where I am not fully satisfied is regarding the low end, which I find a bit blurry (not enough tight). But for that price I cannot complain this is a very good phono stage !

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockchild

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also plan to test a dedicated Exposure 3010 MC phonostage. I should have it next friday.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would probably blame the tonearm as much as anything , remove it sell it on eBay and buy a used Ekos mk2 with the funds, you for sure wont regret it the cheaper Lin. tonearms are kids play things , but if new enough still fetch a decent price. I am waiting for the firing squad as I type this I know people love Linn stuff but the Akito and Krane tonearms are not upto what an Ekos can do or even a decent rega tonearm for that matter. A dedicated phono stage is always a good idea though.
I doubt very much that the Arm is the initial problem here.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also forgot to mention one important thing. Last sunday, I have done too many testing and it leads to confusion and listening fatigue.
After a good rest, I've finally listened to the Quasar set to 100 Ohm, and you were right saying it should be smoother than 470 Ohm config, it is ! It is also much more relax sounding.
So forgot about my first "complaint", sorry for that. The only thing where I am not fully satisfied is regarding the low end, which I find a bit blurry (not enough tight). But for that price I cannot complain this is a very good phono stage !
This is correct as @myles also pointed out 👍🏻
Also, your amp and speakers are not part of the problem either. Nowt better than Class A for beautiful music

Reactions: jigsaw

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I doubt very much that the Arm is the initial problem here.
Maybe not but it wont help the Ekos will have more of everything tighter bass and better control the Akito and Krane are bright and cheap sounding I have owned all 3. So still a worthwhile upgrade which will probably cost nothing to change other than time and effort.

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hold your horses 😊

I know that phonostage very well and it’s far from bright or lethargic.

I am currently on my fifth trial phono leads from my turntable to phonostage and despite claims that there are specific phono leads (shielded), a decent well made copper derived cable is far better for this situation. My guess is your Linn is using the Linn Silver?
Howdy.

Did you settle on a phono lead that you liked?

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yannis Tome makes a decent phono lead
Yes mate, had some before and likely to go to the copper ones with decent plugs. As the op says, silver in vinyl replay is a nightmare. My Benz is arriving tomorrow too.

Reactions: myles

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just make sure it is not the cartridge (and not the current Phono stage you have) not being laid back to your liking ..

Seibassman

Wammer
Jul 29, 2021
Devon
AKA
Matthew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My 2p's worth, I have an LP12 Akurate + level and I use a Goldnote ph10 phonostage with a power supply also available and recommended. I consider it to be an excellent choice and I preferred it to an Urika when I did a quick demo.lI found it warm detailed and not at all fatiguing. I love how flexible it is and very easy to use. I am not sure of your price range but the PH10 is about £1400 and the PS about £1000. It is an Italian brand not that well known in the UK butbwhen I heard it I was smitten especially for the price.

ssfas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2013
London, UK
AKA
Steven
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I was going to suggest the EAR phono box. Had one for a couple of years and it is pleasing and totally inoffensive. The loading is for 100 ohms, so I recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles