LP and sleeve quality

Drummerman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2018
I am trying to obtain a particular record of which there are not too many going round.

I found some on discogs. One is NM for the record but only vg for thr sleeve (it has a 'promo' or surplus cut out.

Another has NM for sleeve and vg+ for the media.

I try and stay away from anything other than NM or new, so ideally I would buy neither.

If you had to, which one would you get?

Tamed Shrew

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2015
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am trying to obtain a particular record of which there are not too many going round.

I found some on discogs. One is NM for the record but only vg for thr sleeve (it has a 'promo' or surplus cut out.

I try and stay away from anything other than NM or new, so ideally I would buy neither.

Buy both, switch the records and then sell the less good leftovers pairing?

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

You're playing the record, not the sleeve. Unless you're an obsessive 'collector'.

Drummerman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2018
Buy both, switch the records and then sell the less good leftovers pairing?
Got to be honest, that didn't even cross my mind. The only issue is that said record is somewhat unusual jazz which is probably not too popular (but which I love) so I could sit on the remaining thing for some time ... . May do this though

Tamed Shrew

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2015
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got to be honest, that didn't even cross my mind. The only issue is that said record is somewhat unusual jazz which is probably not too popular (but which I love) so I could sit on the remaining thing for some time ... . May do this though
I've only done this once at a record fair, where I found a record where the vinyl was pristine but the sleeve looked like it had been attacked by a pack of cats. At another stall I found exactly the same release with a badly scratched vinyl and a good sleeve. Both were selling for a song. "Bolan Boogie" so not exactly rare.
If these are expensive, you could always buy the NM vinyl one first and see if the sleeve is something you can live with.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m not concerned about the sleeve so long as the spine is readable in the rack .
It’s the music that matters.

Reactions: tonee73

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Clearly buy both if it matters to you. I don’t really care about the sleeves but others do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online