Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've heard the LP12 described that way before but didn't want to show my ignorance. Are you able to describe what is meant by it, in relation to the LP12?
I listen to a lot of funk music that is driven by drums and bass. Musicians talk about playing with feel and with the LP12 it allows more of this to come through. So bass players do not hit every note with the same velocity (which affects tone and volume) hold the string for the same duration, or hit it in the same way; and you may have heard of ghost notes. And all of these notes need to be tied together correctly. So on a good playback system we should hear all of these nuances. The LP12 does a good job of allowing this to come through. Or indeed it may even add something to the music. I don’t know which but suspect that it is adding a little bit of something, maybe. Other decks can sound too controlled and lacking these nuances that suck emotion out of the music or hyper detailed and the thread of the music is diminished. It might not be the most eloquent explanation but it’s the best I can do right now.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which Thorens do you have? And which cartridge? On the About You page on the Wam if you update this with your details it will help people helping you.

Edit: waiting for you to respond that it’s a Thoren TD124 and my reply saying don’t change anything 😂😂 but seriously let us know what you have an if it is currently causing you any discomfort
Everything is in my 1st post 😀
« Today I have a Thorens TD126 with Shure V15 type IV cartridge, but I find that it has a lack of refinement. »

Reactions: JANDL100

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whatever you do, DON'T but anything like this without listening first - that's a great way to throw money down the drain!
Plenty of people buying blind on the Wam including me sometimes. It’s a risk of course but a secondhand LP12 at the right price really is no risk.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The risk only applies to the NA as I will not be able to listen to the Hyperspace.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks @Non-Smoking Man Can you please elaborate why you think it should be a perfect match for me ?
Selling in Uk should be fine but not in France, it’s not very well-known.
There was a hifi buddy living in Reading when I was in Bracknell and I went over there a number of times. He had the Hyperspace into a Glasshouse passive, PP valve amp and DIY hybrid horns. It was a lovely system and noticeably listenable.
Also there was a review in HiFi World written by a classical musician turned journst and he reviewed the Hyperspace and really liked it - he said it was more relaxed than the 'driving' 401 with which it was compared. Also it imaged an orchestra much better.

I know Speedracer's system with the upgraded Spacedeck and I like that.

Jack

Reactions: hiesteem and jigsaw

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nowt wrong with a 126 .. personal view it is arm and cartridge needs changing. If you want a nice laid back sound you want an arm cartridge combination that is giving you the silk slick refinement you are looking for .. although if it was me in your position I would get a Hadcock/Formula4/Mission 774 (any of these) with a Decca Supergold .. then buckle up and enjoy the ride

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uzzy I was with you until you said "then buckle up and enjoy the ride", because my impression of what the op wants doesn't fit that description.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hey,
I have been able to listen to the LP12 today.
I've made a quick summary in the Linn Owners thread, so here is the copy/paste.
Please help :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"
For this demo, I have brought my preamp Art Audio VP1 mk2 + my Thorens TD126 (Shure V15 type IV cartridge).
Rest of the setup was Exposure integrated + Graham LS3/5 ... (to be as close as possible as my setup which is Pass Labs INT25 / Harbeth P3Esr)

1st test : A very old LP12 with Ittok LVII (Grade Master Type 1)
Sounds was not really different as what I use to have with my TD126 at home. Maybe a bit more fluidity.

2nd test : My TD126
Confirms my first impressions that the differences between both TT is not "night & day".
Maybe my TD126 is a bit less refined ...

3rd test : Linn Akurate with Krystal cartridge. As my Art Audio is only MM compatible, we have to plug it to an integrated Exposure with optional MC Phono stage.
This is the demo I have preferred so far. I was afraid of having something too much analytical or "digital" like. The sound was really refined, and very well balanced. It was much more transparent compared to previous test but no harshness, no brightness. Great fluidity. I think I can live with that setup. This demo model was 7000€. Even if it's a good price compared to new that's a bit higher than my predefined budget.

4th test : Brand new LP12 Majik with a Linn MC Cartridge (I cannot remember the name, but the Linn retailer told me that it was an Audio Technico based) with Karousel (now by default).
I find it way less refined than the Akurate (I know this is not the same price range).
And also less smoothness and fluidity, which are very important to me ...

So that was not a perfect demo because there are a lot of "variables", not always the same phono stages, but some outcomes that are interesting for me ...

So I'm a bit stuck now and I'm thinking again about the Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace ...

Any comment, advice is more than welcome of course :)
Thanks"

Reactions: DomT

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whilst I appreciate you have your mind set on either an LP12 or NA Hyperspace, what other decks do you have access to via dealers? Some of the upper echelon Pro-Ject decks are good as are Goldnote, le Vardi. Widening your TT brands auditioning could lead you to a different but equally enjoyable solution. Once you narrow things down, with the amount of €s your looking to spend you should be able to get a home demo to solidify things.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don’t listen to a Dais-your mind would be made up!
In which way it will be different from a Hyperspace ?

Whilst I appreciate you have your mind set on either an LP12 or NA Hyperspace, what other decks do you have access to via dealers? Some of the upper echelon Pro-Ject decks are good as are Goldnote, le Vardi. Widening your TT brands auditioning could lead you to a different but equally enjoyable solution. Once you narrow things down, with the amount of €s your looking to spend you should be able to get a home demo to solidify things.
Right now only the Lp12 and Nottingham (but no easy way to listen to it).

brusselsangel

Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
France
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I run a Rega P8 with a hana cart through a GoldNote PH10 phono stage. It sounds detailed but smooth. It may not suit you re the Linn or Thorens look, but it is worth listening to.

Reactions: hiesteem

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hey,
I have been able to listen to the LP12 today.
I've made a quick summary in the Linn Owners thread, so here is the copy/paste.
Please help :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"
For this demo, I have brought my preamp Art Audio VP1 mk2 + my Thorens TD126 (Shure V15 type IV cartridge).
Rest of the setup was Exposure integrated + Graham LS3/5 ... (to be as close as possible as my setup which is Pass Labs INT25 / Harbeth P3Esr)

1st test : A very old LP12 with Ittok LVII (Grade Master Type 1)
Sounds was not really different as what I use to have with my TD126 at home. Maybe a bit more fluidity.

2nd test : My TD126
Confirms my first impressions that the differences between both TT is not "night & day".
Maybe my TD126 is a bit less refined ...

3rd test : Linn Akurate with Krystal cartridge. As my Art Audio is only MM compatible, we have to plug it to an integrated Exposure with optional MC Phono stage.
This is the demo I have preferred so far. I was afraid of having something too much analytical or "digital" like. The sound was really refined, and very well balanced. It was much more transparent compared to previous test but no harshness, no brightness. Great fluidity. I think I can live with that setup. This demo model was 7000€. Even if it's a good price compared to new that's a bit higher than my predefined budget.

4th test : Brand new LP12 Majik with a Linn MC Cartridge (I cannot remember the name, but the Linn retailer told me that it was an Audio Technico based) with Karousel (now by default).
I find it way less refined than the Akurate (I know this is not the same price range).
And also less smoothness and fluidity, which are very important to me ...

So that was not a perfect demo because there are a lot of "variables", not always the same phono stages, but some outcomes that are interesting for me ...

So I'm a bit stuck now and I'm thinking again about the Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace ...

Any comment, advice is more than welcome of course :)
Thanks"
Even with variables a worthwhile listening test. So difficult to know how your ears would react. If you were ok with the newer Linn then you will be ok with the NA. The two decks are different sounding but you may like both.

The refinement differences you heard may well be the cartridges or different phonostage. But what did you really think of the LP12? Did it pull at your heart strings? Did you love how it played music? Is it worth the cost? Or are you saying well it was good but maybe not for you?

Reactions: hiesteem and jigsaw

stevied

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 7, 2006
Ormskirk
AKA
Guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In which way it will be different from a Hyperspace ?

Right now only the Lp12 and Nottingham (but no easy way to listen to it).
I have had a hyperspace the Dais is a step above as it should be with regards to price

More Bass / instruments in music sound more real,I use with Ace Anna tonearm which in my opinion is highly underrated.

lindsayt

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 19, 2009
Huddersfield, , Unit
Hi all,
I hope you can help me on that topic.
I am currently thinking on buying my "end-game" turntable and I was focusing on the Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace with standard 12" arm.
Today I have a Thorens TD126 with Shure V15 type IV cartridge, but I find that it has a lack of refinement.
Are you sure that the tip of your Shure is clean and in near perfect condition?

Just checking because refinement goes out the window with worn or dirty tips. And it's something that is a gradual detoriation with wear that I don't tend to notice until I think "I wonder how a new tip would compare?" and then go ahead and try it.

Also is the Thorens placed well away - like the other side of the room or even a different room - from the speakers on a light and rigid support?
Whenever I've placed my turntables between my speakers or close to my speakers or on a general stand, the sound quality has gone down by a price rung or two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles