LP12 / Nottingham Analogue / looking for a laidback sounding TT

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,
I hope you can help me on that topic.
I am currently thinking on buying my "end-game" turntable and I was focusing on the Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace with standard 12" arm.
Today I have a Thorens TD126 with Shure V15 type IV cartridge, but I find that it has a lack of refinement.
My phono stage is a Art Audio VP1 mk2.
Amp is Pass Labs INT25.
Speakers are Harbeth P3ESR SE.

But I have some major constraints :
- I am suffering from hyperacusis + tinnitus so I need a very smooth and laidback sound
- not a demonstrative neither "technical" sound

I was also looking at the LP12 that I plan to listen next Friday, but I find it very expensive.
I don't have the possibility to listen to the Hyperspace but I have a fair offer from a reseller.
So I'm just wondering if the Nottingham Analogue would be the best bet given my constraints or if the LP12 would be a better choice.

The thing I'm afraid of with the Nottingham is that, in case I cannot handle it with my ears, it will be difficult to sell and of course a big waste of money.
On the other hand, I have the feeling that it could be -if not the best- one of the best candidate.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Jeff

Last edited:

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@fordy has a nice LP12 for sale. Combine it with a Nagaoka and it should give you a smoother but more detailed sound than you're getting.

Can't comment on the Notts, I haven't heard one for years.

Good luck.

Reactions: fordy

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you go for a much older LP12 then they will have a more relaxed sound than the newer ones. @lazycat idea of a Nagaoka cartridge is a good one and I used one myself. One of my turntables is a bit forward but the Nagaoka reduces this in a way that an Ortofon doesn’t.

The hyperspace is a very neutral deck and more neutral than the LP12. I haven’t heard the NA arm for many years and can’t give advice on it. If the arm is neutral and again with the Nagaoka you should be fine.

Given your situation if you are worried then the LP12 is probably the safer bet but don’t ask anyone to post it to you as it’s not going to arrive in good shape and it will be the same for the majority of turntables.

Reactions: maddog_007

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you very much @lazycat & @DomT
I understand then that the LP12 is a safer bet given my situation.
There is a old one that I plan to listen is an official Linn retailer but it has the Valhalla power supply which means no 45rpm.
As the 45 rpm is a « must have » for me, what is the Power Supply that you recommend to keep that relaxed sound, from Lingo 1 to Lingo 4 and there are also the Heed Orbit that could fit.
Thank you !

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, I am fine with an extra box also, sound is the priority.
It should be easier with an extra box as it will be available at the Linn retailer.
The one I plan to listen by the way got a Grado Master I cartridge, I don’t know if it’s a good one for me.

Reactions: Fullrange

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, I am fine with an extra box also, sound is the priority.
It should be easier with an extra box as it will be available at the Linn retailer.
The one I plan to listen by the way got a Grado Master I cartridge, I don’t know if it’s a good one for me.
Ask the dealer to dem a Lingo - which I'm sure you will.

TBH I'm a bit out of touch with the newish p/s, I sold my LP12 over 12 yrs ago. The Linn forum (on here) is your best bet for advice.

Reactions: DomT

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,
I am currently thinking on buying my "end-game" turntable and I was focusing on the Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace with standard 12" arm.
Today I have a Thorens TD126 with Shure V15 type IV cartridge, but I find that it has a lack of refinement.
Amp is Pass Labs INT25.

- I am suffering from hyperacusis + tinnitus so I need a very smooth and laidback sound

I was also looking at the LP12 that I plan to listen next Friday, but I find it very expensive.
I don't have the possibility to listen to the Hyperspace but I have a fair offer from a reseller.
So I'm just wondering if the Nottingham Analogue would be the best bet given my constraints or if the LP12 would be a better choice.

The thing I'm afraid of with the Nottingham is that, in case I cannot handle it with my ears, it will be difficult to sell and of course a big waste of money.
On the other hand, I have the feeling that it could be -if not the best- one of the best candidate.

Jeff
I get this Jeff, what is you actual budget for this?

BarneysDad

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 9, 2021
Melton Mowbray
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi all,
Amp is Pass Labs INT25.

Jeff
HI Jeff

Have owned a Hyperspace for several years. Wouldn't part with it.
They're like they're not there, they're so neutral.
The late founder Tom Fletcher used to take his staff to hear live music so they could get the product close to a natural sound.
Thats the best recommendation you can give in my book. NAS are still going, Service is on a 1st name basis. They'll supply a bolt on mount for whatever arm.

There was one on here only a fortnight ago but think its sold.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi @Rockchild I can go up to 4k€ if it worth it ! I am looking for my definitive TT.
Ok, firstly with what you have told us, please please please find a dealer that can allow a home demo. If your spending this sort of money, a good dealer will do this.
In addition, you do have a 14 day return so if it’s not right, send it back and don’t be afraid to do so.

I would say that the Linn is something to consider but there are so many thing’s available that can change the overall sonic character of it so you really need solid advice and there is no one better than Peter Swain at Cymbiosis Leicester to do this. He will know everything about what sounds an LP12 can be tailored to.
Also, in the mix, try the Thorens TD1601. Yes it’s more dynamic than the old cheap one but not so much to move away from your brief.
If I hadn’t purchased my Michell, I would have got one, it was loaned to me some time ago and complemented my Sugdens/Harbeth so well. (I hate it when dealers send you something to try 😂).

218ADF4A-53A0-4214-88AE-237155BB9D92.jpeg 7048F1BC-0FE5-4EE4-81A0-03ECF55CB442.jpeg

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HI Jeff

Have owned a Hyperspace for several years. Wouldn't part with it.
They're like they're not there, they're so neutral.
The late founder Tom Fletcher used to take his staff to hear live music so they could get the product close to a natural sound.
Thats the best recommendation you can give in my book. NAS are still going, Service is on a 1st name basis. They'll supply a bolt on mount for whatever arm.

There was one on here only a fortnight ago but think its sold.
Thank you @BarneysDad2, for you there is no risk of having too much details/emphasis, or being bothered by the sound ?
What cartridge would you recommend ?

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Notts Analogue Ace Spacedeck & I love it, but I wouldn't describe the sound as laid back, but rather balanced & neutral. Plenty of people who heard it at the Wam Show over the weekend showered in with praise, modesty prevents me from quoting some of them but fair to say they were impressed.

Reactions: BarneysDad

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Notts Analogue Ace Spacedeck & I love it, but I wouldn't describe the sound as laid back, but rather balanced & neutral. Plenty of people who heard it at the Wam Show over the weekend showered in with praise, modesty prevents me from quoting some of them but fair to say they were impressed.
Agree. They are not laid back but are very neutral sounding. With the right arm and a ‘laid back’ cartridge it could be a good choice. But the OP is worried about resale if he doesn’t like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles