LP12, or Ariston RD11

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
Me too - no belt guide or even holes for one. Switch is also 90' different to an early LP12 neon rockerswitch so the oblong hole is the wrong way round. No ridges or bonded piece on the subchassis, wrong pulley, not a bearing you'd get on a Linn.. etc etc

The dark patch on the front is even about the right shape and size for an ariston badge (where the DIYer might have put it).

old_school

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2011
London
AKA
Jay
The first LP12 was identical to the RD11 was it not? Things diverged when Robertson lost the lawsuit and couldn't use the bearing anymore, creating the RD11S. I seem to remember some photos showing that even the switch was in the same position. I've also seen a claim that the first batch of LP12s were re-badged RD11 tables that Castle Engineering had on hand as they were not paid for by Ariston when the company failed.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks Ariston to me, as the platter and bearing look Arsiton. The Badge mark is the same size and design as Ariston. The rocker switch is Ariston, LP12's of this vintage had a push down power switch, not a rocker.

Jan 11, 2006
The missing badge made me think Ariston as a couple of other things.

Also the underneath looks the same as this;

IMG_2760.jpg

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
The first LP12 was identical to the RD11 was it not? Things diverged when Robertson lost the lawsuit and couldn't use the bearing anymore, creating the RD11S. I seem to remember some photos showing that even the switch was in the same position. I've also seen a claim that the first batch of LP12s were re-badged RD11 tables that Castle Engineering had on hand as they were not paid for by Ariston when the company failed.
If a first Linn, then I guess this would be accurately called an unbadged, re-badged Ariston. :)

How did he loose the law suit? I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

old_school

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2011
London
AKA
Jay
If a first Linn, then I guess this would be accurately called an unbadged, re-badged Ariston. :) How did he loose the law suit? I guess that's a discussion for another thread.
I managed to find some pics of early LP12s (1973-ish) and Aristons of the same era and it seems they both had a two-button switch arrangement, not the single red button of later LP12 or the rocker switch of the RD11. In any case, was there a factory version of either with a plinth for a 12" arm?

Can't say I'm sure of the details, but I think he lost because he was unable to prove that the bearing patented by Castle (Tiefenbrun Sr.'s engineering company) was designed by him (Robertson).

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
The missing badge made me think Ariston as a couple of other things.Also the underneath looks the same as this;

IMG_2760.jpg
Shame that photo doesn't extend a little further to the right - the plinth maker's stamp could have given a clue.

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
I managed to find some pics of early LP12s (1973-ish) and Aristons of the same era and it seems they both had a two-button switch arrangement, not the single red button of later LP12 or the rocker switch of the RD11. In any case, was there a factory version of either with a plinth for a 12" arm?
Well, those hinges on the lid are from the same as those found on later decks like the JBE slatedeck and STD and so I would guess that the deck was made to be 12" at a later date in the late 70's/early 80s. Therefore not any kind of original factory build. Although not to say the plinth wasn't professionally built by similar cabinet makers.

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66