LPads on old Yamaha NS670's?

S

stereo70

I had a bit of a grumble from one of my speakers, the LPad was the cause. A quick turn on the dial and it's back to normal.

I'm thinking a strip and clean may be in order, has anyone done this?

I know they use a wire coil that a contact runs along but I dont want to strip them down and find the things are falling apart inside and need replacing, dont fix what isnt broken for instance.

Has anyone ever stripped them down before?

sonichit

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2010
bottom end
When I first got my Yamaha ns590's ten years ago now how time flys they had the same trouble,

I did manage to get some Philips contact cleaner in the small gaps been good all this time.

I have just refoamed them and got some new caps for them then repeated the contact cleaner

By the way the capacitors was a huge leap forward in sound

Hope this works for you

S

stereo70

I've been thinking about spraying them but I'd much rather get in there with cotton buds. What kind of caps did you use?

sonichit

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2010
bottom end
To take the lpads apart in the 590's looked like i would have to bend the metal lugs that are keeping the back on the lpads i didn't want to do this

so contact cleaner was the first step i took worked 1st time:^

I used ansar capacitors great for vintage speakers it's always been the first step away from electrolytic capacitors in speakers for me.

why did i not changed them in the past i was enjoying what i was hearing from them but as they needed new surrounds recently i thought lets recap them

huge leap forward :love:

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wouldn't strip down wirewound controls, just turn them back and forth a few times, maybe spray them with contact cleaner if you can get access to the track. Wirewounds rely on contact with the track more so than continuous tracks that have an almost infinite number of contact points, so I wouldn't mess with the springs as I'm much more likely to make things worse.

Nice 'speakers so worth looking after them.

S

S

stereo70

I wouldn't strip down wirewound controls, just turn them back and forth a few times, maybe spray them with contact cleaner if you can get access to the track. Wirewounds rely on contact with the track more so than continuous tracks that have an almost infinite number of contact points, so I wouldn't mess with the springs as I'm much more likely to make things worse. Nice 'speakers so worth looking after them.

S
Thats what I'm afraid Serge, Its happened to me in the past where I thought ''how difficult can it be'' and soon found out it was a lot more difficult than I first suspected. They are running fine now so mabee it's best to leave them alone for now.

I have read a fair bit in recapping speakers and some have reported not so much an improvement but more a change for the worst while others have reported success, I take it you need special equpment to test caps to make sure they are still in spec?

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thats what I'm afraid Serge, Its happened to me in the past where I thought ''how difficult can it be'' and soon found out it was a lot more difficult than I first suspected. They are running fine now so mabee it's best to leave them alone for now.I have read a fair bit in recapping speakers and some have reported not so much an improvement but more a change for the worst while others have reported success, I take it you need special equpment to test caps to make sure they are still in spec?
Yes, to measure capacitors you really need a capacitance meter or bridge. You can measure the impedance using a conventional signal generator and audio millivoltmeter then calculate the impedance, but that's rather a faff.

Better is to measure the voltage across the drivers with frequency, which should tell you if the crossover is still on frequency and slope. Alternatively measure the complete loudspeaker, and if it's still in spec, then the drivers and crossover must be OK.

S

S

stereo70

Thats all way above my head Serge, but they sound pretty good so thats probably a sign that they are still working as intended. Thansk for the info , your advice is always appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online