LS3/5A pairing with Sugden?

Idlerman

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 8, 2010
, ,
I've got a pair of Stirling V2s. Find they sound good with 30+ watts a side up 'em. Best sound so far from NVA Ap30. Probably better up the range too. Saying that an Ap10 at about 15watts a side gives them a good run as well. Worked well also with Quad 303 and 405. And a Creek 4040 gives them a good kick too, not refined but bashes the tunes out in an appealing way.

Haven't tried the originals with KEF drivers, had heard these don't go as loud. Tempted to try Harbeth p3ESR at some point, but these are a good deal more expensive.

Always something better out there; just a question of knowing when to jump off the ladder!

Idlerman

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 8, 2010
, ,
Thanks HHM. I guess its down to how 'authentic' you want to be. ie purists will want an original with original say Quad 303 amplification. I toyed with getting an original, but thought a new one more sensible at the time.

I tried the Quad 303 for a while. Got so used to it that was almost dismayed when I heard more from my classical records with the NVA amp! Is more revealing better? Million dollar question. I was quite happy with the Quad. Then I heard the Nva. I actually like both presentations. Technically the nva wins, but enjoy both and like the rugged build quality of the old unit. So maybe, just maybe, I should get hold of an old Ls3/5a just to see how good it really was in 1974 ;)

D

DougBradyHiFi

Hi. I use LS3/5a speakers, Rogers and Audiomaster 15 Ohm types. What you have to remember is the the overall high impedance means that these speakers need voltage, not current, to get the best from them. The Quad 11 monoblocs, both old and new Classic re-issue versions, are ideal matches. The old Quad ll's were designed for 16 Ohm loads, like Quads own electrostatic 57 model, and the 15 watts output is enough to drive the high impedance of the 3/5a to highish levels. If you opt for transistor amps then let us say it has an output of 50 watts into 8 Ohms, as the 3/5a has almost double the load the amp will be making 25watts into this impedance. So if you are using solid state make sure the amp is at least 50 watts per ch into 8 Ohms for optimum results. The Sugden is 25 watts Class A and theoretically into the 3/5a will produce just over 12 watts, being Class A also means the power supply will quickly run out at high volume due to the continuous running that Class A imposes on the power supply circuit. It just means that you will not be able to play very loud - but that, of course, depends on what is classed as loud. Hope this helps.

magnol

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 24, 2009
Chester
AKA
John
In a smallish room the LS3 5A works really well with my little unison simply four. No great bass - but as others have said the midrange esp with female vocals is superb.

If I want mega dynamics or earth rumbling bass I have other systems. For sheer enjoyment though the little speakers with a good valve amp like the graaf, or simply six, or one of those rogers e24? [was it] comes highly recommended. If you could get hold of a cj prem 11 for your money then that would be very nice.

Forget trying to get them to do everything - [which is where confusion sets in - and explains a lot of the comments]; physics is physics - get them to do what they do well - nearfield monitors with fantastic midrange.

Huntergatherer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2009
Old Welwyn,
AKA
Trefor
I think you nailed it there John

I was considering selling mine ,but have just discovered that touch of midrange "magic",that engages your enjoyment part of the brain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles