Linn Owners

Majik Isobarik + Akurate Exaktbox-I8

123abc

New Wammer
Aug 4, 2019
I'm currently using K20 cables, do I simply buy more of these, or can I use a neater solution like K600 cables ?

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Or Chord company Odyssey 4 if you can find some, much neater than K400 and sonically similar (y)

Gazorpazorp

New Wammer
Jul 1, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a pair of Majik Isobarik speakers in Passive configuration that are connected to a Majik DSM/2

What do I need to do in order to configure the Majik Isobarik speakers as Exakt, so that I can connect them to a Akurate Exaktbox-I8 amplifier ?

Do I simply just need to convert the Majik Isobarik speakers to Aktiv as illustrated on page 7 here ?:

I'm very excited for you to complete this build. My MISOs transformed going from passive to active, and then transformed again going from from majik DAC to katalyst. Enjoy the bass!

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
What does the collective think about his buying some K600, and continuing to use his length of K20? Will mixing the two disturb the force?

This will require some patience hunting in the used market.

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What does the collective think about his buying some K600, and continuing to use his length of K20? Will mixing the two disturb the force?

This will require some patience hunting in the used market.
K600 cables are like K400. They suck! Ugly to see, hard to cut, no flexible. They have no good. The world is full of beautiful cables.

123abc

New Wammer
Aug 4, 2019
I have taken delivery of the Akurate Exaktbox-I8.

Upon plugging it into the wall using the power cable, and switching it ON using the switch underneath, I'm not getting the power light on the front to light-up. I've tried with two different power cables —the power cables work with the DSM.

Is there another switch I need to press? Or, goodness forbid, have I taken delivery of a pile of bricks ?

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
K600 cables are like K400. They suck! Ugly to see, hard to cut, no flexible. They have no good. The world is full of beautiful cables.
Don't be superficial and judge a cable by its looks, it's what's inside that counts ;)
And the K400/K600 sounds better than the K200 in my opinion. I would never mix K20 with K600, as they sound different.

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't be superficial and judge a cable by its looks, it's what's inside that counts ;)
And the K400/K600 sounds better than the K200 in my opinion. I would never mix K20 with K600, as they sound different.
Yes, that's true, but for me the look and use is still important. K200 is a better cable than 400 or 600, just see the individual copper wires inside. I found my old K400, if I have time I will post a photo of the 200 and 400. You will notice the difference in quality between the two cables.

Reactions: Ray Vardy

123abc

New Wammer
Aug 4, 2019
False alarm: I connected the Akurate Exaktbox-I8 to the Majik DSM/2 and all works now, phew!

I went from passive Majik Isobarik speakers to Katalyst Exakt, and the sound has completely transformed. The bass increase is incredible, the omnidirectional bass is felt, more than it is heard. The sound is more weighty, fuller, feels more energetic, louder and vivid.

The speakers have always been placed against solid walls, but now may need to experiment and bring them forward to see if that lowers the bass. The sound has become room filling.

Majik Isobarik speakers are extremely capable and impressive. I wonder if they were discontinued because perhaps at their price point, they may have been too competitive to the Akubariks ?

My items are all ex-demo. Cost was £1500 for the Majik Isobarik speakers, £1800 for the Majik DSM/2, and £3600 for the Akurate Katalyst Exaktbox-I8, and K20 cables —this journey started back in 2017, patiently saved for 6 years, and now today I think I have a system that is going to be hard to beat given my total price point cost around £7000.

The passive sound was easier to listen, the Exakt sound feels everything all at once. It will take time to adjust to this new dynamic big sound !

Last edited:

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I agree with the comment above. My system is messy, so cables matter only sonically, not esthetics. I'm sure my wife may not like them, but she has more clutter than I. The K series cables are good quality at good price. They are best worked with a band saw. They can be separated on a band saw, made into, still thick, single strands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles