Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Review in the April issue of TAS, not exactly a glowing one. Here’s the conclusion.

Maybe the reviewer is right when he attributes a certain lack of airiness and soundstage to the Adikt. There is a reason after all for MC.
But other than that, the Adikt is a mighty fine cartridge, very musical, and it sure rocks! It definitely does not lack PRAT, and it is a pleasure following the tune.

What might be a limiting factor in the Majik LP12 setup, however, is the power supply. There is nothing majik with that 70's LRC phase shift mains circuit, au contraire, it seems rather basik to me and a step in the wrong direction compared to before when even the cheapest LP12 came with a Valhalla as standard.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another vote for the PS. A glorified LCR circuit, ca 1974!

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reviewer explains it himself: "The sound to the table" and further exemplified by saying a P6 was better. Evidently, he does not "get it" as many other do not. Mate of mye also listen to "the sound" of my system(s) and really do not get if it is engaging or makes the music fun to listen to but more on how does the sound of a cymbal come forward compared to how he has heard that specific sound before.
Even in standard set up the Majik LP12 is engaging and involving (if set up correctly), which I will dare say a P6 is not. Having said that the the most drastic improvement in the Majik LP12 will be the PSU (standard is not such a disaster) but for this reviewer I believe he would do the traditional hi-fi method and invest in an expensive MC which would address the comments on sound. Funny thing, so would the PSU but then with completely superior dynamics.
It would be interesting to listen to the Koil in comparison to the Adikt (expect it to be better) as I've heard Koil compared to Kendo in a Selekt LP12. Kendo was clearly better but the Koil wasn't to bad either.

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why Linn would let a review like that get posted in that periodical is beyond me?
Presumably the reviewer sent the review to someone at Linn first, as they typically do with other products submitted.
I don’t really have an issue with a review that states a product fails for this reason or that, as we could all be benefitted by seeing such a review more often, particularly in light of the current all hyperbole trend. But, to say what this reviewer did about the Majik, would seem to me to be a disservice to a buyer just looking to get into their first decent table.
Hopefully, there will be a follow-up review with much better findings!

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
He seems driven by a need for openness and transparency to enjoy music and these are not Majik LP12 strengths. Perhaps he doesn't need the music to make sense in the way many of us do, so the deck doesn't offer him much. However, he also seems to lack this understanding which as a reviewer makes him a bit one-sided. Although some reviewers might sound like they're sitting on the fence, I think it helps if they can appreciate a wide range of critera, even when a product isn't overall to their liking.

Reactions: kryno and formann

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Why Linn would let a review like that get posted in that periodical is beyond me?
Presumably the reviewer sent the review to someone at Linn first, as they typically do with other products submitted.
I don’t really have an issue with a review that states a product fails for this reason or that, as we could all be benefitted by seeing such a review more often, particularly in light of the current all hyperbole trend. But, to say what this reviewer did about the Majik, would seem to me to be a disservice to a buyer just looking to get into their first decent table.
Hopefully, there will be a follow-up review with much better findings!
Linn doesn't have control of editorial content in any magazine with editorial independence or one that isn't just a published shill and is just republishing press releases. It is a little surprising though - not that he didn't enjoy the Majik but more that a magazine like TAS would publish a rare unqualified non-rave. This one is a little down the middle. There are car reviews like this. - don't buy the base model but spend a little for the model w the more powerful engine, bigger tires and better suspension. Take it for what it is - an opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: llatpoh

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its amazing that a review that says the product is not "the best sounding product ever", well at least since the last review he/she did, gets comment on threads here. I surmise the brown envelope stuffed with the folding stuff never got to him in time.

Beo

Wammer
Nov 26, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am in the market for a new turntable after my new to me Selekt Organik raised the bar so high that my old player sounds like rubbish... so for obvious reasons the basic LP12 is on my list.

first, thank you for sharing the review! I read an atricle in an other magazin also suggesting to go for the Koil as they said a big step up for the invested money.

I was able to enjoy the basic LP12 at my shop with speakers I know with my own Selekt and was impressed how good both teamed up.

But at the end of the day, we all know, own experience with the setup at home is only the way so I hope I can get a LP12 for the weekend and potentially with the Koil.

Rille

Wammer
Jan 6, 2020
Indeed, but if the Koil is anything like the AT-OC9XML the Adikt won't stand a ghost of a chance against it.
I can only agree with that.
But I would like to go one step further. It might even make die-hard lovers of the Kandid think twice. In my opinion, a Koil would also be superior to a Kandid in some aspects.

• Confused
Reactions: formann and pdcman

Rille

Wammer
Jan 6, 2020
Have you had the opportunity to compare them, head-to-head?
I know the Kandid very well and had it for about 8 years (3 times). I have not heard the Koil so far. However, I know the AT-OC9XML quite well because I listened to it for about 4 months as a bridge from the Kandid to the Ekstatik.

I used the AT-OC9XML with the Urika1, which with its 75 ohms certainly had a somewhat too low impedance for the AT. Values well above 100 ohms would probably do it good, as it played relatively quietly. Quiet listening was not well possible. Here I also see possible approaches by Linn to better embed the Koil in the Linn environment.

What distinguished it for me was its playing flow. It was able to bring all the musicians together into one overall event. It was very easy to listen through whole albums as the musical context always opened up. The details were always meaningful. Here I see the AT as superior to a Kandid. It makes you satisfied.

I think that Linn deliberately chose the ML variant from the OC series as a starting point for the Koil, and I assume that both systems should be comparable in terms of their possibilities.

Reactions: llatpoh

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The AT moving coils were pretty popular with the Flat Earthers (ie British HiFi press) back in the late 1980s - early 1990s, as less expensive alternatives to the Supex-sourced Linn cartridges. Haven't heard them, personally, but it would be quite a coup if they were now competing with the top of the line Linn/Lyra/EMT offerings!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles