dj.gibby

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 2, 2011
Scottish Borders
AKA
Brian
Hi folks,

Was wondering if anyone has ever used the Marantz DR700 cd recorder and if so, what is it like as a player. (I wouldn't be using the record facility). I can get my hands on a mint condition one for £80 and was thinking of using it in place of my Technics SL-PG520A as the Marantz has a digital out therefore I could use an external DAC at a future date.

I wouldn't want to spend money on the Marantz only to find that the Technics sounds better.

Your opinions/thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As you seem to have a DAC upgrade pencilled in fairly soonish? I'd really not bother & instead start a DAC fund with the £80, you could likely better the DAC's in both players mentioned for around £100 spend on a s/hand DAC & for £200 & over many capable DACs under the £500 price-point new come within reach s/hand.

If you've got itchy feet & simply want to try summat new, Fiio's D3 Taishan is an upsampling 24bit@192khz DAC that has 2 switched SPdif* inputs on RCA/Coaxial & Toslink Optical & can be had for around £30 delivered from Amac***nz. I have one meself as a spare & slightly prefer it to the SBT's onboard DAC, which is well respected & prolly comparable to current £350/£400+ CD players.

dj.gibby

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 2, 2011
Scottish Borders
AKA
Brian
Thanks Vacdac. The reason I was contemplating the Marantz was because the Technics has no digital out. As the Marantz was £600 new but was a cd/recorder I wondered how much was spent on the player side of things and how much was spent on the recorder side. Just a pity that I don't have the chance to do a direct a/b comparison.

I wouldn't be going down the DAC route right away but probably around April next year.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah.....I see Brian, well IIRC the Techy was a fairly modest budget machine & I've heard nice things re the Marantz & Pioneer CDR machines at that price point. At a guess they're likely comparable to £250/£300 dedicated player only models of the same era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opensea0