Marinade for a boned shoulder of lamb on BBQ

G

Not sure which way to go with this marinade. Any suggestions?

As most of the week looks good can do long marinades too.

Cheers :^

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would go Greek. Olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano. It's a classic that we used in Oz when spit roasting. Use it to baste as and when.

Another would be Greek yoghurt, chilli, ginger, garlic, corianda. As much or as little of each as you like. Lay it over and roast or BBQ. It goes crispy in parts and unctuous in others without disguising the wonderful lamb flavour.

Professor Chaos

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2007
Toronto
AKA
Kelley
Soy or teriyaki sauce, dry sherry, lemon juice, minced gingerroot, crushed garlic, sliced green onion, and some cracked black pepper.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
I'd quite fancy a moroccan rub (where's Pierre?) but most of all I'd be cooking it as slow as possible off the heat, with some sugar in the rub to ensure some colour to the finish. And it's only done with the thermometer says so. Then rest.

I find lamb a bit of a BBQ PITA to be honest. At least, when other people cook it. I always get served a lump of charred crust meets raw as buggery inside.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
I would have thought a shoulder of lamb would be too fatty to successfully BBQ.
I dunno about others, but I cook loads of fatty meat on the BBQ and it's fliipping lovely IMHO. I like brisket and pork neck & belly. Just needs cooking with not so much charcoal, indirect heat and lid on. Leg of lamb isn't really that fatty, is it? Aside from the skin, obvioulsy.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
I dunno about others, but I cook loads of fatty meat on the BBQ and it's fliipping lovely IMHO. I like brisket and pork neck & belly. Just needs cooking with not so much charcoal, indirect heat and lid on. Leg of lamb isn't really that fatty, is it? Aside from the skin, obvioulsy.
No, but he's talking about shoulder.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
No, but he's talking about shoulder.
My bad, you're right.

Doesn't make much difference though, can still be cooked wonderfully on BBQ. So long as the meat is cooked long /slow the sinew and collagen will break down into gelatine *licks lips*

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you have the kit....vacuum pack the shoulder with the marinade ....cook in a large pan of water at 70 deg c for 3hrs then flash roast it on the BBQ

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I would go Greek. Olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano. It's a classic that we used in Oz when spit roasting. Use it to baste as and when.Another would be Greek yoghurt, chilli, ginger, garlic, corianda. As much or as little of each as you like. Lay it over and roast or BBQ. It goes crispy in parts and unctuous in others without disguising the wonderful lamb flavour.
That would be my choice, I have found a good alternative:

Cumin, Garlic and Thyme with LOADS of olive oil.

Done this many a time as a base for a good curry (previous bake off) :^

A

avole

I would go Greek. Olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano. It's a classic that we used in Oz when spit roasting. Use it to baste as and when...
This, but I'd slice the garlic finely and make a number of small cuts in the meat into which you insert the garlic having rubbed in the marinade. This helps bring out the flavour of the garlic a bit more.

G

Forgot about this thread. In the end I did the greek yoghurt coriander chili ginger garlic approach. So cheers for the tip.

A boned shoulder is perfect for the bbq as long as you don't cook it when the charcoal is too hot, I did after after cooking some home made burgers, sausages and steak so by the time you put the lamb on the charcoal is a good temp. The fat keeps it seriously tender and with the lid on it doesn't need much attention and always works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles