Wammer
HiFi Trade
Jul 29, 2014
Leeds
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Having seen the original mezzanine show over two decades ago I was very excited to see it again but with massive attack’s latest reimagined show last night in their purpose built 14000 ticket temporary structure at Bristol’s Filton Airfield.

The venue was staggering having been to Glastonbury on many occasions this undercover structure was on another level and would easily have swallowed the huge tents I’ve visited at glasto in the past. Undercover was good given the poor March weather outside!

Massive attack has always had a strong political stance and their light/visual show didn’t disappoint. I’ve never been to any show whereby the act created something to make the crowd intentionally boo but images of tony Blair and trump delivered this in a very surreal way. The effort that they had gone to create arguably the best visual show I have ever seen must be commended including video footage from the fifties of people waltzing perfectly in time to their electronic show. If banksy is indeed a member of massive attack which is often rumoured, then he certainly impressed me with what was presented.

Then the music....

before the band took to the stage the sound system sounded absolutely awful (intentionally) playing loads of tracks from the year the original album was released. It was such a skilful way to remind the audience of what ‘other’ music was around at the time that hadn’t aged quite so well and certainly wouldn’t be able to draw a 14,000 crowd in 2019!

The set list was a brilliant combination of tracks from the original album combined with covers of certain tracks that influenced the album including the clash, the cure & others albeit with their own take on it. Along side the original singers Female vocals came from liz Cocteau who deliver a very beautiful and haunting performance. 

The sound engineers must be acknowledged as the system that was installed coped brilliantly with the heavy dub and sub bass sounds. At no point did the system ever loss control even when the band was pushing it to its limits.

Spectacular and a gig I will remember for a long time.

Sunflower_sutra

Wammer
Feb 12, 2018
Saw them at 02 in London. Same set list and great soundsystem but terrible atmosphere from the crowd. Shame as would have been an amazing show if people where a bit more excited and less chatty

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw them at 02 in London. Same set list and great soundsystem but terrible atmosphere from the crowd. Shame as would have been an amazing show if people where a bit more excited and less chatty
This has happened to me too at this venue, albeit not this gig. Ruins a great night not having people around going large. Such a shame...

Knipester

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Jul 29, 2014
Leeds
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
On the whole people were really respectful last night although there was the odd person that thought it was ok to just push you out of the way to get past. At 6,4 and more stones than I care to measure if someone tries to do this to me they tend to bounce off me and will have to find an alternative route...very rude.

Sunflower_sutra

Wammer
Feb 12, 2018
Yer I think it's the 02. Probably great for watching tennis but not sure for a gig. Also seeing them play their home crowd in Bristol would be great.  

Think it was technically one of the best sounding gigs I've ever been too. Also Horace Andy really still has it! even though he must be a OAP now. Hope he got shit loads of money for it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online