matching pre and power amps

twg

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Epsom
Right now i have got a pre and started a search for a new power, but in the search for an amp i have come across mention of the need to match the impedance of the pre and power , what am i looking for figures wise . i have an email from bat saying anything of 2k ohms will work but other info i have found say a ratio of 10 to 1 , that what i found on another forum posted by bryston.

I can't at the moment find the actual figures for mine yet ( bat vk3i) but i have found one post from an owner saying it is 1k ohms

Help before i make an expensive mistake !

Keith

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Ten to one is safe if you want t0 avoid response errors in most situations.

Surely BAT can give you the output impedance of the pre amp?

If it's 1k then a power amp with >10k input impedance is where I'd start, and in fact that's a realistic minimum for most designs you'll encounter.

G

Yes you can have matching and its a safe bet they work together but to me the whole point of pre/power is the freedom to use products from different stables

twg

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
Epsom
Ten to one is safe if you want t0 avoid response errors in most situations.Surely BAT can give you the output impedance of the pre amp?

If it's 1k then a power amp with >10k input impedance is where I'd start, and in fact that's a realistic minimum for most designs you'll encounter.
Waiting on an email back from the technical side but the sales side have said 10k and higher for the Power amp .

I am tempted to try a Bryston 4bsst2 so have posted on one of the us forums where James tanner seems to respond quite quickly asking for their thoughts and had nothing back also emailed Bryston direct but no responce

- - - Updated - - -

One on the amps on my list i see you are using where about are you in south London.

Keith

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opensea0