Wammer
Wammer
Sep 25, 2010
Warrington
AKA
John
Hi All,

Due to space constraints my TT is 3.5m from my Amp

At the moment the TT leads are directly connected to the Ming Da Phono then via a pair of 3m long leads go the the X10 Tube buffer (impedance problems) then via a 1m Mark Grant hd1000 into the amp

Is there any benefit in reducing the leads from the phono into the x10 and then using the 3m leads into the amp

And as a matter of interest what would be the max length you would recomend.

Cheers

John

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All other things being equal, if you've got a 'long' interconnect then you want to drive it using the source with the lowest output impedance. I don't know what the output impedance of the Ming Da Phono box is. But the MF X-10v3 claims to present just 33 ohms out http://www.musicalfidelity.com/uploads/manuals/English/x10v3_eng.pdf which is very small. I'd be surprised if the phono stage Zout was that small. So if I were you I'd use the X-10 to drive the longer cable. That said, a 3m long lead shouldn't be a challenge for any competently designed powered stage. So I'd hope you wouldn't hear much difference.

VB

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Totally agree. 3m isn't long for any decently designed equipment unless the cables are of very high capacitance, although with a valve phono stage, the output impedance might be somwhatnhigher than is normal for SS equipment. Use short cables into the X10 and the longer ones out of the X10. I would expect the X10 to be able to drive 1000m of cable without any problem.

S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online