Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lots of folks like it, but I don't.
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif

I would call it a bit bland and unexciting - others might call it natural and unhyped.

I think you've just got to try it!

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They haven't got a recommendation for a specificsound like Naim - rather neutral ime but detailed and warm.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Full-bodied, warm and smooth. Very inoffensive and unfatiguing. Some may prefer a little more pizazz, but to me their kit is very nice.

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
I haven't owned any of their speakers for a while, but have used three of their cdp's ( still using the 800 now ) and they are very natural sounding players,the only player tht I auditioned that was better was the full DCS reference but at a large premium.

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
Nice if you're using solid state. I found the 506 CD player too warm and rich for valves.

As you go up the range, I think this becomes less of a problem though. The 566.20 DAC for instance, is more neutral although quite smooth.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having come from a Linn system, I have found the Meridian system to be equally musical, but more detailed and certainly more spacious. I was worried that I might find it too overblown, but that has not been the case. I have kept the speakers away from the wall (Kabers were about 8cm away from them) and set them to 'corner' to reduce bass output. It is not a lean, mean sound, but I find it quite fast and tight, and certainly not over polite.

hifienthusiast

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 5, 2005
Portsmouth, , United
AKA
Hon
I have a Meridian 507 which is a superb CD player on its own. The CD mechanism is a CD ROM. Meridian's own CD mechanisms were used in the older 506.20, 506.24 & 500 which many people think is better than the CD ROM drive.

I haven't owned many CD players, I can only comment that the 507 is smooth, detailed, refined and a good all rounder. I prefer it to the Naim CD5/Flatcap 2 and the Rega Planet MK 2.

I don't know how good the 507 as a standalone transport. The build quality of all Meridian kits are excellent which give you the impression that they will last many years. Many forum members commented that Meridian can still service many of their older CD players.

A few years ago, I had a Meridian 207 which is also very nice even for modern day standard, but both 206 & 207 are getting a bit long on the tooth now.

After buying the 507 a few years ago, I haven't thought of upgrading anymore. That says it all.

Hon

meridian507.jpg

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Edgeyboy wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the Meridian "house sound" is like ?Any good at imaging ? Bass ? Top end smooth or bright ?

Thank you.
Think its a nonsense and it depends which Meridian stuff you buy.

The CD players are noticeably smooth and detailed compared to others and my Meridian 506 and 206 do not soundthe same- the 206 is more in your face with a bit more slam at the bottom.

The amplifiers are superb and neutral they perform well with the Meridian Pre and perform even better again if a better pre is substituted.

The main thing about a Meridian system overall IMO is it does not draw attention to itself and allows you to listen to the music. If I could not have my hafler amp I would be perfectly happy with the Meridian 557 power.

Be brave trust your own ears. Oh and if you watch the prices on eBay you will get a rough idea of the prices the gear fetches allowing you to buy try and resell if you change your mind hopefully without costing you anything much.

If you look at CD players though you can get a 206 for less than £150 which will see off most of the new cd players up to £500. Also it is a great spinner so you can also go along the separate DAC upgrade path if you wanted.

The best thing about Meridian is it may never be rated the best in all the mags but it will never be rated badly it is well made and it plays music. You could do far far worse than buying their gear.

My best mate is still using the 101 105 combination he bought 27 years ago and it has never missed a beat.

Uzzy

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a Meridian 206 on loan for a couple of weeks, sorry to report I found itsomewhat lifeless and definatelylacking in bass.

May have been something up with it, but it worked just fine.

Not entirely happy (100%) with my Quad CD66, however I'd say this is a more energetic and bassy performer than the 206.

Game of opinions this hi fi buisness.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Headcoat wrote:

I had a Meridian 206 on loan for a couple of weeks, sorry to report I found itsomewhat lifeless and definatelylacking in bass. May have been something up with it, but it worked just fine.

Not entirely happy (100%) with my Quad CD66, however I'd say this is a more energetic and bassy performer than the 206.

Nah its CD players in general - they just do not compete with vinyl when it comes to injecting soul into music.

G

uzzy wrote:

Headcoat wrote:
I had a Meridian 206 on loan for a couple of weeks, sorry to report I found itsomewhat lifeless and definatelylacking in bass. May have been something up with it, but it worked just fine.

Nah its CD players in general - they just do not compete with vinyl when it comes to injecting soul into music.
:raoflmfao::raoflmfao:talk about lay your cards on the table Uzzy. Ahem of course i beg to differ... but i would wouldn't i

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online