Messing around with low to mid cost speakers...

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's a ramble ! So you love the hobby, have the core system you want and don't want to mess about with it. But you do want to mess about !
Answer, low to mid cost speakers. Just bought some old Wharfedales, loved them. And pocket money too.
Next up, Spendor S5e, a wammer kindly accepted my offer for some speakers I don't think will work in my room. But of course, the most golden of rules, you don't know till you try.
Does anyone else just mess about in an unfocused manner ? My criteria is basically what turns up here that I might loose little or nothing on.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am blissfully happy with my system in my music room (as listed) BUT! I must admit some kit has been coming up in the classifieds and I'm hovering over the pm button thinking I would love to have a play with some of it.

So far I have resisted but for how long...
1677007159870.png

vinyl4ever

Mr
Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
primevehiclelogistics.com
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's a ramble ! So you love the hobby, have the core system you want and don't want to mess about with it. But you do want to mess about !
Answer, low to mid cost speakers. Just bought some old Wharfedales, loved them. And pocket money too.
Next up, Spendor S5e, a wammer kindly accepted my offer for some speakers I don't think will work in my room. But of course, the most golden of rules, you don't know till you try.
Does anyone else just mess about in an unfocused manner ? My criteria is basically what turns up here that I might loose little or nothing on.
I do, always changing my kit to experiment. Nothing expensive but have a bit of spare pocket money so why not.

Reactions: Ian, DomT and MVJ

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Absolutely, 2 pairs of wharfedales, some castles, yamahas, leemas, then further up the ladder, ae1, 104/2 kef ref, 1.7 maggies ……apart from my main system..always looking for more speakers to try out, they give the biggest change in sound in any system as far as i am concerned.

BarefootGuy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2021
Hi,

Yes, I do this all the time, particularly with speakers. It's a bit of fun and sometimes I find something that really surprises me. For example, I bought a pair of old Gale GS220s in good condition for £30, totally on impulse. I recapped the crossover, changed the ferrofluid in the tweeter, added a little extra dampening material in the cabinet, and, hey, its pretty decent. Or some Cambridge Audio Minx XL speakers for £60, used. Another impulse buy, and they are sweet and fun just as they are. A nice little find.

But my main system stays as it is. I spent ages getting it the way I like it, so playing around is on another system only.

Reactions: Ian and MVJ

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm happy with my cheapie Wharfedale Program 30D-6 speakers - all of £17. Very common on eBay - a lot were made.

But I always have an eye on an upgrade. Heard a Kef Q bookshelf and a small ATC bookshelf in my system in comparison, and I'd still prefer the Wharfedales, surprisingly enough. The Kef was rather shouty in the treble, and the ATC was just dead sounding - no life.

I fancy a build, but too many other projects on the go. I have heard very few speakers - I really should go for a demo somewhere or ???. It would be a 2 way of some kind. I'm in Kensington, London, so can't be too hard to hear some other speakers.

Reactions: Ian

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

Yes, I do this all the time, particularly with speakers. It's a bit of fun and sometimes I find something that really surprises me. For example, I bought a pair of old Gale GS220s in good condition for £30, totally on impulse. I recapped the crossover, changed the ferrofluid in the tweeter, added a little extra dampening material in the cabinet, and, hey, its pretty decent. Or some Cambridge Audio Minx XL speakers for £60, used. Another impulse buy, and they are sweet and fun just as they are. A nice little find.

But my main system stays as it is. I spent ages getting it the way I like it, so playing around is on another system only.
There's the reason I don't I guess any playing around can only be done in my room & I'm not prepared to start stripping my system out to do it.🤔

Reactions: Ian and BarefootGuy

BarefootGuy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2021
It would be a 2 way of some kind. I'm in Kensington, London, so can't be too hard to hear some other speakers.
Richersounds used to do demos...maybe they still do. All new gear at new gear prices...you may walk out with something though. Be warned ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: MVJ and Ian

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I mess about lots - it is called playing music on the fabulous system you spent ages to put together. I guess it is a problem for some that the fiddling with different kit is more important than actually playing music? Perhaps working in a shop for six years made me realise what a waste of music time is by faffing around trying different kit

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have done this. A lot. But not for a little while now. I've finally arrived at my pretty much end game system and when I switch stuff in now it's generally disappointing.

I am happy with my little bundle in my house. I do not have spare rooms to make new systems in so I've arrived at the pinnacle of what's possible in my limited space and godamn it's been fun along the way.

From Bristol I've driven to Oxford / Manchester / Portsmouth / London / Sheffield / Southampton and various other places in my buying speakers and bits of kit quest. So it's also now quite refreshing to have ended my faffing.

Although, as ever I still look at stuff and think, mmm what if?!

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone who has been to Lawrence town and my mancave will know that I mess about with stuff a lot . Fortunately I can “hide” a lot of it behind sliding storage units ..so the room isn’t cluttered. All cheapo gear in the main but there are a couple of top end bits of gear ..My main system is for life but as a side track I do like to buy and try things for very little money, specially vintage gear with a decent pedigree. I also like to resurrect speakers from oblivion with some TLC . Problem is I don’t want to sell them when I’ve made such a nice job ..

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As MVJ said earlier. There is some cracking gear in the classifieds that would allow you to have a second stonking system that in many cases would probably surpass what we already have for a lot less cash ..
It is so tempting sometimes.. but I’m saving for a wedding in May …
I must stop drooling over the classifieds and curb my addiction..

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As MVJ said earlier. There is some cracking gear in the classifieds that would allow you to have a second stonking system that in many cases would probably surpass what we already have for a lot less cash ..
It is so tempting sometimes.. but I’m saving for a wedding in May …
I must stop drooling over the classifieds and curb my addiction..
You are right. There is some great stuff on sale right now and if I was in the UK ai would be buying some of it.

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been fiddling around with some lower priced speakers recently and have also fiddled around with the amps that I have, which range from a budget TEAC half-width receiver through Arcam Delta 290 to tweaked Croft. It's been fun and continues to be so.

Reactions: bigrod and Ian

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll report on the Spendors when I have them. Not till a week on Sunday though.

It'll be really interesting to see if the Audion drives them.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hell yes!

My main system and my reviewing system rarely change but there’s a hell of a lot of other stuff that comes and goes from Beobloke Towers as I simply love trying all kinds of things.

Spotting something for sale that I read about 30 years ago and liked the look of invariably signs an immediate Purchase Order! Admittedly, it is usually turntables or speakers, though, hence why I currently own 32 of the former and 26 pairs of the latter…

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hell yes!

My main system and my reviewing system rarely change but there’s a hell of a lot of other stuff that comes and goes from Beobloke Towers as I simply love trying all kinds of things.

Spotting something for sale that I read about 30 years ago and liked the look of invariably signs an immediate Purchase Order! Admittedly, it is usually turntables or speakers, though, hence why I currently own 32 of the former and 26 pairs of the latter…
Well that’s clearly having far far too much fun!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Beobloke

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles