Linn Owners

Metal Plinth makers?

John76

Wammer
Aug 14, 2020
USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have enjoyed the discussion on this thread. Here’s my Frankenlinn after fitting Analogue Innovation In-Soles with the required spacer kit provided by LinnArts. They have made a fundamental improvement to the tunefulness of my deck. I can’t see myself returning to springs.

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3620.jpeg
    IMG_3620.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38

John76

Wammer
Aug 14, 2020
USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which is why I’ve designed my own motor Mount for my Lingo1 deck, moving the motor to its own unique top plate.
Comparison to my Radikal deck appears that it’s not missing much..

Linn always has to package upgrades to backwards compatible bite size chunks. I’m sure that has driven the development path of the deck.
Your arrangement of the motor might cut down vibrations but there’s still the “porch rocker” effect which I think is the main issue.

Every turntable design scheme has pluses and minuses. Proponents of either suspended or non-suspended turntables talk up their positives and omit their negatives. It's like dating (I remember). The suspended design's main negative is that even if the suspended part containing the arm and platter is rigidly coupled together and the motor is fully isolated on its own platform, any lateral platform movement will vary the distance from the motor to the platter, which inevitably affects belt tension and thus speed stability. Suspension tuning is critical to minimize this problem.

Eccentrically pressed records causes the arm to sway even minutely back and forth, which can induce softly sprung suspensions that are effective at isolation, to produce "porch rocker" effect, which can vary platter to motor distances and thus negatively effect speed consistency. Non-suspended turntable advocates point to that as the reason suspended turntables can sound "soft". Suspended turntable advocates point to the outstanding isolation and quiet and around and around it goes!

Here’s the source of the quote: https://trackingangle.com/equipment/michell-gyro-se-turntable-a-classic-revisited

Reactions: petecallaghan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles