MF X-Tone - has anyone used one with an Integrated Amp? And if so, how?

kneesup

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2013
Wiltshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just acquired one of these nifty devices, the idea being to plumb it into my Integrated amp, which has a remote Tape Monitor control, and then use it to tame a pair of subs. Clever, I thought...

Having spoken to MF, they told me that on many Integrated amps, it's possible to take the feed from the pre-out into the X-Tone, and then from the X-Tone into the Tape Monitor. My amateur understanding of this, was that I could use my amp as normal, and then, if I wanted to route in the X-Tone, I could do so by switching on the Tape Monitor. Nice.

However, plugging my X-Tone into my Alchemist Integrated, Pre-Out-XTone-Tape Monitor in, it doesn't want to know. And makes horrible noises.

MF did tell me that it doesn't work with all Integrated amps with Tape Monitors - that it depends on how the amp's tape monitor works. But that it does work with most. Well, sods law it doesn't with mine, UNLESS I'm plumbing it in wrong.

Can anyone offer any pearls? My alternative will have to be using it in line twixt a source and the amp, but only one source item, which wasn't the idea at all...

Many thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online