Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Whats the crack with the Michell Technodec then?

I have heard the Gyrodec and Orbe on numerous occasions when I was working in the hifi shop but never the Technodec.

Obviously they lack the suspension and lovelyness of the Gyro but then are a lot cheaper, although don't see many S/H.

They seem to also come as a combo with the RB250 and DL103 which seems an odd match to me.

G

They got good magazine reviews a few years back by mostly everyone, but I've never heard one, I think the 250/103 is weird as well!

Tons of Fun

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 26, 2006
Concrete cow funland
AKA
Ed
Very good deck in my (probably worthless) opinion. Often seen with the RB250 (not seen with the DL103 in my experience and that's a good thing) and a fine performer with it. The mount will accept any old Rega offset so you could look at more interesting arms like the Nima and AN Arm One if you fancied. The basic performance of the deck is good enough to warrant it.

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
Given decent isolation or a wall mount it should perform as well as any other solid plinth TT. The platter is made of the same material as the Gyro but is somewhat lighter and the DC motor is the same as the Gyro and I believe it's the same bearing. I considered buying one at the time I bought my GyroSe but those gold plated brass weights made it worth the extra ...

If you compare the cost of the Tecnodec and Gyro SE, look how much extra you get for the difference with the Gyro.

nipponhifi

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 20, 2006
Uppsala, Sweden
AKA
Martin
I always really enjoyed the Tecnodec, it's a sadly underrated and under represented model in the Michell range in my opinion. In many ways I much preferred it to the Gyro models :-0

No major oddness from a sound quality perspective, nicely made (as you would expect from Michell) and as fit and forget as you can make a TT, pretty much.

I badgered Michell a few times about building a version with an Orbe platter and bearing... that would be an interesting deck.

Werner

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2008
Antwerp, , Belgium
I believe it's the same bearing.
Similar, but smaller than the Gyro's.

Here's the very first one

michell_tecnodec.jpg

During its gestation we were thinking of an upgradeable little TT, with an internal bay for accepting a phonostage. The TT PSU then would feed the phonostage too. Got into thinking of sourcing RB250s without leadout wiring, directly soldering the in-arm wires to the phonostage's input.

This never happened, but fooling around with dismantled 250s subsequently launched John on the TecnoArm track.

laughing gravy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2010
London
AKA
Stu
I've got a Tecnodec/Technoarm. It had an RB250 originally - I've only ever used more Rega friendly MM's with both arms though. There is an improvement from the 250 to the Technoarm, but hand on heart, I'm not entirely convinced it's worth it if you aren't mounting something exotic on the end. Essentially, I love it. Dead simple, sounds great with anything I throw at it, and any faults are ones of omission rather than doing something noticeably badly. It's just a well balanced sound, detailed but definitely "analogue".Set it up carefully the once, and then just play the crap out of all your records.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it's continual setup tweaks re the Gyro vs. the simplicity of the Tecnodec lack of suspension IMOE the Gyro s.e. once setup properly stays that way. I've certainly heard folk seem to suggest otherwise i.e. that a Gyro needs 'frequent' tweaks.......My own experience however says this really isn't the case, just go through all the levelling steps in the right order, making sure the supporting surface is level to kick off, then set up suzzy travel/bounce & check levels again & cable dressing if required. Honestly once done all this should be all fit & forget. The only time I've ever had to start again from scratch has been through my own 'on the fly' fiddling & running tweaks. :doh: .......although t' upside of all my earlier fiddling is that I have a better understanding of my deck in action & that all setup/maintenance tasks are now routine.

I do carry setup checks fairly regularly as I swap carts fairly frequently, but all that ever needs changing is VTF/VTA on the arm to allow for this. In fact thinking about this all my H/Shells allow for Azimuth adjustment, which once set properly also stays that way as evidenced by use of the diddy H/Shell level I use. Once you've tweaked azimuth on a cart & seen how very small twists in each direction affect the bubble level you'll appreciate that even being a little bit out is very easily measurable. Even if I partially disassemble the deck eg remove the platter to do bearing/oil checks there's no need to allow for 'settling' or re-tweak/fiddle with owt IME, following reassembly

Personally if looking at Gyro/Tecnodec I'd also be looking at Jelco arms.....the 250st if wanting a fixed H/Shell alternative to the Rega 250/300 or even better if you want wider compatibility to a wider range of carts then the SA750D.

I know Rob announced yesterday that he'd sourced a 'B" grade BNIB Gyro so not sure as yet what armboard he has although Rega would seem most likely.

Dunno if you've sourced a suitable cart as yet Rob? If you're looking at LOMC options then AT carts seem to work well on Rega arms. I've had a few on my previous Technoarm + heard an AT F3iii on my mates P3 with an RB300. The Technoarm was not as great a success with my Ortofon Rondo Red which wuz a little dull/safe sounding on this arm. It shines on my Jelly 750D as do my various AT LOMC carts which sound even better on this arm. :stereo:

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I have sourced a b-grade Gyrodec, and got an RB300 and Ortofon MC10 Supreme on it way to me as well.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Congrats, I love my gyro. Maybe it's not the last world in turntables but it sure is pretty.

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
I'm on my second Gyro after several years with a range of alternatives including a flirt with a Micro Seiki DDX1000 and Rega P9.

Before getting itchy feet I'd performed the GyrOrbe mods to the deck and felt they made the performance less enjoyable - perhaps responsible for the itchy feet.

The Gyro is a lovely TT, best used stock IME with perhaps the Orbe clamp added but nothing else.

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to add the 'densodamp' putty under the chassis. Kills it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mazian

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles