Micromega Logic CD Player

budgetblown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2009
Cardiff, UK
AKA
Leigh
I picked one of these up for a fiver, recently - no remote control, and it looked like the playing of cd's was in the charge of a 6 month old rusk eater at din-din time, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I got. Playback is spacious and detailed, but a little bright, and it handles most music well, if as I said a teensy bit light in the bass department compared to flac-7520-preamp playback of music. It didn't skip a beat on any of the CD's played, the only detrimental thing I can say about this CD player is that the drawer operation is somewhat jerky. That, and the buttons are all in French. Mon Dieu...

Since I only spent a fiver to get what has the potential to be a rather good player, I think I'll have a bit of a play with this wee beastie.

Step one is to get that drawer mechanism fixed and a general check-over - so it's gone in for a service to Peter Ellison in Cardiff. Should be a cost of about £45.

Step two is going to be to do a deep clean on the unit - (it got a quick wipe before it went to Peter, but I'm going to "valet" the unit).

After that? Well, after that is where I could do with some advice. Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

1) damping the internals - the case, being plastic, is somewhat lightweight. Butyl/aluminium sheet is available quite cheaply, as is sorbothane sheet. Cost about £12

2) To continue with the damping theme, sorbothane feet. Cost £15-20

3) Upgrade the master clock in the player to improve reproduction (this seems to improve bass in particular). Cost £120 upwards from what I've seen

4) Upgrade the power supply/supply the master clock with a separate power supply. Costs I've seen are from £40ish upwards

5) General refurbishment - respray the metal lid, polish the gloss plastics back to lessen the impact of a couple of minor blemishes, possibly respray the plastic sides to give an exact match to the lid, and if a defunct Phillips CD 350 comes up at the right price/time, swap the French Buttons for English ones. Polishing gloss plastics costs whatever Brasso costs these days. For respraying, it's the cost of a can of etch primer (as I'd be painting plastic this is essential) plus the main coat colour - about £15 for decent stuff, possibly plus lacquer. Dead CD player cost? varies :D

Any thoughts on other useful modifications would be gratefully received. Recommendations for sources of things like clock/psu would be of interest as well, particularly if you have experience of the items in question.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have said - probably going to run this through the digi output to my dac/pre, but would also be interested in peoples' experience of op-amp upgrade modules.

taff

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 20, 2013
South Wales & Lo
I'd say op amps/ caps will make a big difference but probably not as you're going into a dac and I'd hope the digital output bypassed all these?

budgetblown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2009
Cardiff, UK
AKA
Leigh
Yes, if I go the DAC route changing the op-amp won't make any difference at all - it gets bypassed. I still have the option of using the CD's output stage, and am considering options at this point. The vibration damping upgrades are pretty much a no brainer, due to the lightness of the unit and its' largely plastic construction - and their low cost. The other stuff is all up for debate.

budgetblown

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2009
Cardiff, UK
AKA
Leigh
I now have TWO of these players - once they're both repaired/serviced, I'll be in the fortunate position of being able to directly compare the effect of upgrades. Fun times (and no doubt some frustration) ahead!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online