Midlake Live

G

As predicted by the Wam's USA Correspondent Teddy Ray, Tim Smith (lead singer/songwriter) did leave Midlake.

The remaining guys have regrouped & have a new album, Antiphon, out Nov 4th

979.jpg

& are playing just 2 dates in the UK this year.

Luckily one of them was in Nottingham, tonite.

The question is, having been dealt a seemingly mortal blow, can Midlake still cut it?

If tonite's gig is anything to go by, YES.

The band are now led by guitar/vocalist, Eric Pulido and have a much looser, rockier approach.

The new tracks have a psych/folk influence and if the reaction of the Nottingham audience is anything to go by, it works.

Really, really works.

Managed to grab an exclusive recorded interview with Eric P before he headed for the bar, and will be playing it out on the radio show, Tuesday 29th October.

www.103theeye.co.uk

First time I've seen some serious girly-wig-out dancing at a Midlake gig, and I think we can take that as a very positive sign.

And......our celebrity spotters noticed Wam Moderator, Mr Mark Browelm, of this parish, in the audience.

Truly a seal of approval at any live event.

steve edwards

picture.jpg

James Evans

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2006
Wirral
AKA
James
Nice. Saw them at latitude on a nice sunny sunday afternoon and they were pretty much the highlight of the weekend for me. I did wonder how they'd fare with Tim Smith leaving, but the above sounds positive. Must check out the new album when it's released.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Hi Steve, I really enjoyed last night and they've done a great job in covering for the loss of Tim Smith. Roscoe and Head Home were just fantastic, weren't they?

I even think they could have been a little bolder and played more of their new album, but perhaps they are just looking to get the new layout of the band to click before unleashing too many new tracks.

I had hoped there would be some advance copies of the new album for sale on the night, but that's wishful thinking :p

PS. As you had company I didn't want to crash the party, but good to bump into you.

G

Hi Steve, I really enjoyed last night and they've done a great job in covering for the loss of Tim Smith. Roscoe and Head Home were just fantastic, weren't they?I even think they could have been a little bolder and played more of their new album, but perhaps they are just looking to get the new layout of the band to click before unleashing too many new tracks.

I had hoped there would be some advance copies of the new album for sale on the night, but that's wishful thinking :p

PS. As you had company I didn't want to crash the party, but good to bump into you.
Hi Mark

We were just talking about you (in a good way) as you said hi.

Summat about you being the expert on getting Spotify on your hifi, ipads, Squeezeboxes etc.

Mel, who was with me, is a big music fan & has my old Quad system.

Glad you enjoyed the gig, and yes they have done a good job with the new line up.

Have you seen them before, when Tim was on board?

Last time, 3 + yrs ago, was a secret gig @ The Musician in Leicester before their last tour.

So close our toes were touching the tiny stage.

Goosebumps from beginning to end.

Looking forward to Antiphon, ovoc.

Tried to blag a copy... without success.

Its going to be diffrent, but Eric agreed that the new line up is liberating their inner rock band.

Can I very strongly recommend The Staves who are on @ The Glee thursday 31st Oct.

Its only £12.50 & they have sibling female harmonies to die for.

A work colleague saw them this summer @ a festival & is totally smitten (with their music)

If we see you there, we must have a longer chat.

(And pick your brains about streaming)

cheers, steve

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Yes, I saw them at Leicester O2 Academy in 2010 and that was a really special night - they had John Grant and Jason Lytle supporting and I'd have been happy to see any of them as a main act. Exceptional night.

Afraid I can't get into The Staves mate, so I'll not be going to that.

Sigur Ros at the Capital FM Arena (19th Nov) however :rockin: I have spare ticket for that if you're interested.

biker boy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 1, 2008
Nottingham
AKA
Doug
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can I very strongly recommend The Staves who are on @ The Glee thursday 31st Oct.

Its only £12.50 & they have sibling female harmonies to die for.

A work colleague saw them this summer @ a festival & is totally smitten (with their music)

Just checked and its sold out

G

Yes, I saw them at Leicester O2 Academy in 2010 and that was a really special night - they had John Grant and Jason Lytle supporting and I'd have been happy to see any of them as a main act. Exceptional night.Afraid I can't get into The Staves mate, so I'll not be going to that.

Sigur Ros at the Capital FM Arena (19th Nov) however :rockin: I have spare ticket for that if you're interested.
Mr B, you have a sale :D

- - - Updated - - -

Can I very strongly recommend The Staves who are on @ The Glee thursday 31st Oct.Its only £12.50 & they have sibling female harmonies to die for.

Just checked and its sold out
Might be worth turning up on the nite though & crossing someone's hand with silver :whistle:

G

1422456_10152034326245960_595620424_n.jpg

Seen em both, separately.

But this would have been the perfect gig.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online