Mingus

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
I'm currently on a major Charles Mingus kick....can't get enough. :D I've owned and loved Ah Um and Dynasty for years but never delved deeper. This week, thanks to the wonder of spotify, i've listened to Black Saint..., At Antibes and Pithecanthropus... (all total genius, and fantastic recordings) and have Tijuana Moods lined up. I've also started reading his autobiography Beneath the Underdog, which seems well worth checking out from what i've read so far. Any other recommendations for further listening greatly appreciated!

• Upvote
Reactions: Hayward

brystonian

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2012
Bedfordshire
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus is a good one.

It has II BS on it, a great fast version of Haitian fight song (from The Clown, also worth a look).

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm currently on a major Charles Mingus kick....can't get enough. :D I've owned and loved Ah Um and Dynasty for years but never delved deeper. This week, thanks to the wonder of spotify, i've listened to Black Saint..., At Antibes and Pithecanthropus... (all total genius, and fantastic recordings) and have Tijuana Moods lined up. I've also started reading his autobiography Beneath the Underdog, which seems well worth checking out from what i've read so far. Any other recommendations for further listening greatly appreciated!
Mingus is seriously cool...I don't have enough of his albums yet, but currently have:

Mingus Plays It Cool

The Essential Mingus Big Band

Both of which are excellent; the second one has a great version of "Fables of Faubus" which was the first Mingus track that I got into (at the age of ~15...).

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Mingus is seriously cool...I don't have enough of his albums yet, but currently have:Mingus Plays It Cool

The Essential Mingus Big Band

Both of which are excellent; the second one has a great version of "Fables of Faubus" which was the first Mingus track that I got into (at the age of ~15...).
Yes...rightfully regarded as one of the 20th century's true musical geniuses, regardless of genre.

sparkmeister

Wammer
Wammer
May 4, 2012
Y Fenni
AKA
Stephen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw this recently in my local record shop, which seemed good value. I can't comment on the content as I'm not familiar with the albums that are included - only Ah Um, Saint and Dynasty.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes...rightfully regarded as one of the 20th century's true musical geniuses, regardless of genre.
I would agree.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My wife doesn't :p she said this morning that she can't wait for my current "jazz phase" to pass :D
I've been waiting for mine to pass too - 40-odd years so far & it is showing no signs of doing so any time soon :D

If you fancy trying a spot of "modern" jazz check out Trichotomy - Fact Finding Mission. It's an Ozzie band, but we won't hold that against them...as the name implies, a trio (pino/bass/drums) but with the occasional guest musician to mix it up a bit. Excellent stuff, and a very nicely made recording too. Particularly fond of the opening track - "Strom" - the piano left hand gives the speakers a workout.

esgilga

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Steve
Although I previously owned Dynasty, my son re-introduced me to Mingus with Blues and Roots not so long ago - superb. He must have been 11, a bit autistic, with a wicked ability to sniff out the good stuff. He does this all the time.

I too, have been adding to my Mingus collection since.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah all great albums mentioned so far I don't as yet have 'At Antibes' or Mingus Mingus Mingus but have the rest & just received this un last week, which I've really been enjoying. :stereo:
51FYAJFSf7L._SY450_.jpg

I'd like to add a few more reco's worth mentioning (tip of the iceberg TBH:cool: :cool: )>>>
21TWMYWR7XL.jpg
51wKDiyi5%2BL._SX450_.jpg
410TQD301HL.jpg
41KNsYpoOlL.jpg

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
I've been waiting for mine to pass too - 40-odd years so far & it is showing no signs of doing so any time soon :D If you fancy trying a spot of "modern" jazz check out Trichotomy - Fact Finding Mission. It's an Ozzie band, but we won't hold that against them...as the name implies, a trio (pino/bass/drums) but with the occasional guest musician to mix it up a bit. Excellent stuff, and a very nicely made recording too. Particularly fond of the opening track - "Strom" - the piano left hand gives the speakers a workout.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Reading it back, "jazz phase" made it sound like I was just getting into jazz :p I've been into jazz for 10+ years. What I meant was that I tend to naturally go through phases where I concentrate on exploring and listening to one type of music (I have the tendency to be a tad obsessive in general :p ). I listen to other genres during a phase but it's in the minority. My 'cycle' typically includes a jazz phase, metal phase, psychedelic/prog phase, classical phase and blues phase, not necessarily in that order :D A "phase" typically follows a period of a couple of weeks where I don't really know what I want to listen to and nothing really grabs me :p Then something does and whoooosh :p i'm off :D

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the recommendation!
Welcome. You can get a good taster from their Youtube uploads...for example:

which is the "Strom" track that I mentioned.

arturo

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2009
Herts
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Saw The Mingus Big Band at Ronnie Scott's a few weeks ago, stunning set, great musicianship, plus 1 of the originals still blowing!

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Mingus is a genius. At the risk of stating the obvious, if you love Mingus it is really worth checking out Duke Ellington's vast discography, particularly the suites that were such an influence on Mingus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online