Modwright 'Black' Phono Stage

B

BD Audio

Dan Wright has been a busy man and has sent over his latest creation for me to listen to. I've been testing the prototype 'Black' phono stage from Modwright Instruments and all I will say is that if you were planning on purchasing a new phono stage and are a fan of the MWI approach then I'd just hold off a little while longer.... ;-)

Black Phono by Jack Durant, on Flickr

SCIDB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
, ,
Hi Jack,

What is special about that phono stage? What's the projected price?

SCIDB

G

Ok sort of price range and how good with mc carts and not shitty io's :nuts:

B

BD Audio

Being that you visit Malvern fairly regularly and the little fellow is currently singing right at me it'd be rude not to call round and take a listen Danny using an Ortofon Rondo Bronze MC with it right now....

B

BD Audio

Hi Jack,What is special about that phono stage? What's the projected price?

SCIDB
Hi Dean, Lundhahl transformer output, Lundhahl step up transformers, 2 inputs, 1 MM, 1 MC, most probably a 2 box unit, valve circuit, price will fall somewhere in the middle of the rest of the Modwright range. Naturally I can share more details as the final decisions are concreted. If you want to make your way down here you're more than welcome to take a listen.

Cheers,

Jack

G

Being that you visit Malvern fairly regularly and the little fellow is currently singing right at me it'd be rude not to call round and take a listen Danny using an Ortofon Rondo Bronze MC with it right now....
I'm coming up Wednesday and as lovely as you are you not high on list of priorities but lol i'll pop in or we can have a beer and fuck hifi x

B

BD Audio

Sounds good, let's get something sorted. Beer is always welcome in my tummy.

G

Heard this today in a flying visit. I heard it with a mid range cartridge and it sounded superb. Jazz was magical with lovely tone and a real ease to the sound. I brought a few compressed modern recordings as a good test and it was handled with ease still keeping the instruments and sounds separate. Nice :^

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm coming up Wednesday and as lovely as you are you not high on list of priorities but lol i'll pop in or we can have a beer and fuck hifi x
country people, country ways...

B

BD Audio

Well the black has gone on a little road trip today, currently listening to it in Pmacs system with a Shelter 501 running in to it. I'm SERIOUSLY looking forward to getting my hands on the final production model, I usually play it cool so as not to hype up products but this is just stunning. :shock:

B

BD Audio

Stop the press!!!!! Here's a photo of the latest PH150 Prototype from ModWright Instruments. We have our name down already for one of the 1st batch when it launches this spring!

G

Stop the press!!!!! Here's a photo of the latest PH150 Prototype from ModWright Instruments. We have our name down already for one of the 1st batch when it launches this spring!
Now that looks top draw mate

G

Looks like the look has subtly changed, bevelled edges and a different badge style on the facia. Any indication of price yet?
I would like slightly smaller knobs ( ooh vicar) but i really like and would love to know the dimensions

B

BD Audio

Hi Danny, the chassis is the same as your LS36.5, there is another half size box to house the power supply too, this can go on or behind the rack.

This is still a prototype so it's good to have your feedback, the Asians like large knobs apparently, I think it would look really nice if the two middle ones were shrunk a little and have passed this on, feel free to comment, I'll let Dan know any ideas you guys have!

Price wise, on the current spec RRP looks to be around the £5500-£5750 mark, there are a lot of very high components inside and some clever design features.

G

Hi Danny, the chassis is the same as your LS36.5, there is another half size box to house the power supply too, this can go on or behind the rack. This is still a prototype so it's good to have your feedback, the Asians like large knobs apparently, I think it would look really nice if the two middle ones were shrunk a little and have passed this on, feel free to comment, I'll let Dan know any ideas you guys have!

Price wise, on the current spec RRP looks to be around the £5500-£5750 mark, there are a lot of very high components inside and some clever design features.
Interesting mate that puts it in some very tough competition at that price point .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online