Monitor audio GS20

G

Hi. I have a pair of Monitor Audio GS20 on loan over the weekend from my local dealer. I,m impressed with them. but i am frightened to take the plunge and buy them. I would welcome any comments and views on them before i return them tommorow.

wickfut

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 2, 2007
Preston, Lancashire,
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I demo'd them and loved them ,didnt try them in my system though.

They are first on my list when i get a spare £1500 quid (which is unlikely this side of xmas)

contour

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2006
, , Netherlands
Haven't heard them but read on a Belgian forum that a guy also pared them very succesfully with a Primare A30.1 or I30. Also came acros more people who liked the combination and some hifi store selling Monitor Audio's with Primare as a set. But if you like them and have the time to try them out at home who cares what other people think about it. That said would be interested on your findings with the Primare kit and what they do better/worse then your current speakers. I've been looking at auditioning some GS10's just to see how they would fare with my gear.

G

I had the GR 20'S and they are explicit so paired with softer sounding kit they are blinding but i'm glad you are home demoing to be sure. £1500 is alot of money and can buy you £3 to 4k's worth of speaker secondhand. May there are others to consider;)

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I had the GR60's paired with a Krell amp. The sound was far too 'uncompromising' for my tastes. Fast... but too bright and forward...

I can see why they would be a better partner for a Primare amp....

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
I used the GS10 with that Primare combo at work.

It's okay, but too metallic - i.e. articficial treble; a Monitor Audio trait.

I mentioned that my system at home would whoooop it for much less $$

G

Thanks. bit the bullet and ordered a pair. I should really trust my own judgement. Its alot easier when your used to spending alot less. The mistakes are easier to live with.

G

Thanks. I decided to buy. been using focal 714 chorus loudspeakers from previous system. Monitor audio GS 20Ss are alot more detailed, More bass and fantastic midrange. Plus the finishes are lovely. I have ordered cherry so they will match my decor. Then again the Focals were only a third of the price.

G

Thanks. I will run them in for a week or so. Then i will write a review. Only picked them up today at 10.30 and had to be in work at 1.00 so just enough time to set them up. I.ll be up early in the morning though.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
robbyrtp wrote:

Thanks. bit the bullet and ordered a pair. I should really trust my own judgement. Its alot easier when your used to spending alot less. The mistakes are easier to live with.
Enjoy mate! let us know how you get on with them longer term:^

ultrawomble

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Jim
It took about 200 hours to run my GS10's in - you definitely need to get rid of the cheap stamped metal linkers that MA use to bridge the wiring terminals though - replace them with something better or bi-wire.

A

Alex A

And if you're daring, use a bit of blu tac to remove the tweeter grill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louis_067