Most bangs for your buck - IQ on a budget

grimep

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2009
Surrey, United Kingd
AKA
Graham
Thanks for the info. For dark indoor photography with the main subjects being a 3 and 5 year old running around like crazies I was anticipating some sort of prime with a low f-stop, or a fast zoom lens rather than a big telephoto. I know sod all about lenses but presumably the 70-300, with its 4-5.6 aperture range is best suited to well-lit outdoor photography?

mikehit

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 29, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Mike
Yep - the 70-300 is really for outdoor stuff but with f4 at the short end and 3 or 4 stop IS it will do indoor at the short end as well.

The 50mm f1.8 is a real gem - at under £100 it is almost disposable. You will find heaps of discussion about f1.4 v f1.8 and some pros have posted that the difference in image quality is minimal, though the f1.8 is smaller and lighter: the f1.4 is better built but their view is that if the f1.8 breaks they just buy a new one. However, on a APS-C it is not a lens for indoor groups (that is where the kit zoom comes in).

If indoor kids is your main thing at the moment, I would say kit lens for groups, plus 50mm f1.8 for low light. Then decide if you want/need to go to a tele zoom for outdoors or buy a decent flash for better indoor work.

These three sites are my first port of call for second hand stuff.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/

http://www.mifsuds.com/acatalog/Used_Canon_EOS_Lenses.html

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking at picking up a used DSLR early in the new year. I sold my Nikon D70S rig a couple of years ago and fancy trying a different brand (no reason as to why, just for a change).

Budget for a body is up to £450. At the moment i'm looking at the Canon 5D MkI and Pentax K5. I'm leaning towards the Pentax more, as it'll be smaller/newer/better LCD/better AF etc. What do you guys think?

grimep

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2009
Surrey, United Kingd
AKA
Graham
Finally got around to it... in case anyone's interested.

New Nikon D3100 body, £215

New Nikon 35mm DX prime lens, £125

Been deliberating cameras for about 10 months. Finally realised that an "entry level" DSLR is in fact as good a camera as I'll ever need, as well as being small and light. Job's a goodun.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it feels right in your hands, then it's right for you. Don't even think about cameras again, just use it, and use it a lot to learn it's and your limitations. That way your images will just get better and better.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it feels right in your hands, then it's right for you. Don't even think about cameras again, just use it, and use it a lot to learn it's and your limitations. That way your images will just get better and better.
+1:^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online