Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd really like a quad of these to try in my Leben but my previously used reliable source, Mullard Magic, have none. I therefore need to wander into the minefield of other purchasing options.

There are these at Langrex.....
[URL]https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/el84-mullard-grade-2-tested-valve-tube/[/URL]

Not testing great but reasonably priced and I'd have thought trustworthy

eBay.....
[URL]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195...oolsIzSjvOGyooBHM2rYuhez0=|tkp:Bk9SR_LTzsqSYQ[/URL]

Looking good, no slur on the seller, but not a guaranteed purchase.

Anyone aware of other good options please ? I'll obviously place a wanted here. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's a place called Billington Export - they are primarily wholesale but do retail sales too, with some caveats (see below). I have no idea if their prices are competitive or off-the-scale crazy, but they do have what you're looking for. This is the website:

https://web211.secure-secure.co.uk/tube-and-valve-electronics.co.uk/wholesale/home.asp

There's a downloadable wholesale catalogue on there and they have a significant stock of both common and unusual valves. They do warn that the catalogue may not be 100% accurate so worth calling to check but they have both Mullard NOS (Dutch or UK made - quads) and also some D-Getter ones that are more expensive.

The big caveat is (and it's highlighted in RED LETTERS in their catalogue) is that they are primarily geared-up for wholesale sales, and so you need to spend £240+ to get those prices - under that value is classified as retail and you can add 50% to the cost. So depending on what you go for (4 D-Getters takes you over that limit anyway) you may need to go in with someone else and place a bulk order to get what you need.

Other caveat of course is that as it's a wholesale catalogue you need to add VAT anyway.

Hope it might help?

P.S. forgot to mention that they also do used ones and what they call "Grade One" tubes, which may have some minor imperfections but are tested and guaranteed, and they are also generally a bit cheaper than new or NOS.

P.P.S. I've no connection with them, but I have considered using them for my own purposes, hence I had the details to hand to share

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I believe Langrex and Billington to be the same trader, check the address. They also may trade under another name.

I have used them and they seem pretty reliable. One site is slightly cheaper on postage, can't remember which one.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Langrex are fine. Billington are as well, and they trade under a number of names on eBay (mostly 'yitry'). Look for Billingshurst as the address. There are a few other kosher sellers, but go for Langrex or Billington and you'll be happy.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I believe Langrex and Billington to be the same trader, check the address. They also may trade under another name.

I have used them and they seem pretty reliable. One site is slightly cheaper on postage, can't remember which one.
IIRC, they're part of the same, but separate companies. Doesn't matter though, they're both good.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Ian,
I've got a 'fair few'. They're all used but I could get a quad of matching specs easily enough, especially if they don't all need to be eg. old logo or physically matching. I can do fully matching as well but they won't be quite as close electrically. I don't have any sub-90%, so a quad at better than min NOS (ie 100%) is quite feasible.

Presumably you want them matched for emissions primarily?

EDIT: I can do a matched quad of little used Siemens and Halske E84L as well, very tight matching around NOS spec. These are not exactly dropping off trees these days...

Reactions: myles and mac72

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Ian,
I've got a 'fair few'. They're all used but I could get a quad of matching specs easily enough, especially if they don't all need to be eg. old logo or physically matching. I can do fully matching as well but they won't be quite as close electrically. I don't have any sub-90%, so a quad at better than min NOS (ie 100%) is quite feasible.

Presumably you want them matched for emissions primarily?

EDIT: I can do a matched quad of little used Siemens and Halske E84L as well, very tight matching around NOS spec. These are not exactly dropping off trees these days...
Cheers Jazid, I'll pm you later.

nak

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably a long shot but have you tried asking Dave at Classic Valve Amps? He's just sorted me out with a Mullard for my P10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online