Mullet system

G

Following on from a thread recently, it was laughed at that a cheap source and amp, would sound better than an expensive speaker, with cheap source, spoke to the guys at ART about this, (remeber they used to make TT's so source first is not unusal for them) they agreed to allow me to demonstrate, or they will do themselves, £104 CD player (new) disco amp 600 watts, (dunno cost, but not audiophile by any means) say £250, and £25k impressions, will sound better than any £25k front end, through a £500 amp (new price, or use same disco amp) and speakers at a new price of £104, any takers?

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Agree totally, influence of speaker on overall sound appears to be more subjective and therefore more influential than that of CDP. Someone on another forum here was saying that speakers act as ultimate tone control, and that seems to sum it up well.

Picard

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
oddly, i am in the same boat as the mo. cheap cdp driving expensive electronics and wires. interesting.

G

Sony6million wrote:

£104 is an odd price Paul, do youthe aforementioned cdp make?
think it a panasonic or philips cost £104 late last year from dixons

hifikrazy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
, ,
AKA
Tim
Dunno why this would be a surprise. Personally ive always maintained that the largest proportion should be spent on the speakers because its the part that actually makes sound. Speakers that cost £104 (especially new) will have far greater compromises than a £104 cd player will. Would like to hear it anyway
smile.png

G

Picard wrote:

oddly, i am in the same boat as the mo. cheap cdp driving expensive electronics and wires. interesting.
ok, not as good as expensive front end, but better than other way round is my point.

G

hifikrazy wrote:

Dunno why this would be a surprise. Personally ive always maintained that the largest proportion should be spent on the speakers because its the part that actually makes sound. Speakers that cost £104 (especially new) will have far greater compromises than a £104 cd player will. Would like to hear it anyway
smile.png
yeah, but a few scoffed at the idea, the challenge is for them.

G

source first.

a wadia running into a 100 quid amp and 100 quid speaker should out perform an alba dvd player running into 30k's worth of speaker and amp.

but most normal cd players same the same so i would spend no more than 1k on cd player then the rest on then most on the amp and just use some cheapo speakers.

in the past i've heard some wharfdale diamonds being run form some real exoctic gear with awesome results.

and also heard some great speakers sounding garbage.

G

rudolph hucker wrote:

source first.a wadia running into a 100 quid amp and 100 quid speaker should out perform an alba dvd player running into 30k's worth of speaker and amp.
willing to wager on it, (mind you haven't heard a wadia)?

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Couple of things spring to mind from this, first one being is it therefore pointless to spend more than a £100 on a CD player, and the second being, wasn't the original source first idea based around the precept that the other parts of the system could at least do the fucking job. The way it was explained to me at the time, (by a linn dealer of course) was that it was better to allocate more of your budget to the source, not all of it. So a linn sondek, with cheap linn arm and cart, playing through a cheap creek amp, and probably royd speakers, would be better than a dual turntable, through a pre-power, and some sod off sized wharfdale speakers or similar. I can not remember what the official doctrine was, but the dealers I knew way back then seemed to suggest something like 60% on source, 20% on the amp, and 20% on the speakers. This was chucked as fact at any one starting out in Hi-Fi land. If you want to relalocate the budget percentages around that then a few of us may have a stab. In fact how about a Esoteric spinner, suggy A21 SE and living voice auditoriums, I think that fits the 60/20/20 split.

hifikrazy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
, ,
AKA
Tim
rudolph hucker wrote:

source first.a wadia running into a 100 quid amp and 100 quid speaker should out perform an alba dvd player running into 30k's worth of speaker and amp.

but most normal cd players same the same so i would spend no more than 1k on cd player then the rest on then most on the amp and just use some cheapo speakers.

in the past i've heard some wharfdale diamonds being run form some real exoctic gear with awesome results.

Limiting factor there will be 100 quid on a new amp as thats just not quite enough brand new. Each to their own.
smile.png
Id back a ~100 quid dvd player (can pick up a sony dv-p900v for that) into an relatively inexpensive amp and decent speakers to do it for me
smile.png

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Now you all see i'm not barmy really as my Impressions will cost far more than the total cost of the rest of the system and it will sound sublime
biggrin.png
:D
biggrin.png
:D
biggrin.png

Impressions have been driven by a Soneteer Bard wireless receiver/amp for an unbelievable sound from something that is only as big as a multiway plug socket at about £250.

Speakers rule. We are back in the 60 / 70's again.

G

dudywoxer wrote:

Couple of things spring to mind from this, first one being is it therefore pointless to spend more than a £100 on a CD player, and the second being, wasn't the original source first idea based around the precept that the other parts of the system could at least do the fucking job. The way it was explained to me at the time, (by a linn dealer of course) was that it was better to allocate more of your budget to the source, not all of it. So a linn sondek, with cheap linn arm and cart, playing through a cheap creek amp, and probably royd speakers, would be better than a dual turntable, through a pre-power, and some sod off sized wharfdale speakers or similar. I can not remember what the official doctrine was, but the dealers I knew way back then seemed to suggest something like 60% on source, 20% on the amp, and 20% on the speakers. This was chucked as fact at any one starting out in Hi-Fi land. If you want to relalocate the budget percentages around that then a few of us may have a stab. In fact how about a Esoteric spinner, suggy A21 SE and living voice auditoriums, I think that fits the 60/20/20 split.
of course it was, and I'm not saying if I had £25k to spend, I would look at distributing it more evenly, the reason was Murray suggested something similar to the mullet system above, and a few scoffed, that source first was and allways would sound the best regardless, nows their chance to prove it
biggrin.png

G

analoguekid wrote:

rudolph hucker wrote:
no but i've heard many cd players .me mate is the daddy on these things.

G

rudolph hucker wrote:

analoguekid wrote:
rudolph hucker wrote:
is it not your bedtime anyway?

G

analoguekid wrote:

rudolph hucker wrote:
analoguekid wrote:
rudolph hucker wrote:
is it not your bedtime anyway?
what 6 o'clock?

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
rudolph hucker wrote:

I'd have to disagree there Rudi. The extra detail of the Wadia would be wasted on shit speakers, you'd get no benefit. Expensive speakers would ring every last drop of detail from a cheap cdp. I'd rather have expensive speakers than an expensive source. Expensive meaning good of course, not just bling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichShortland