Wammer
Wammer
Nov 5, 2013
P'bo UK
AKA
Karl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an original MF X-Ray, which I love, but have always wondered how it would perform with a different DAC.

Anybody have any experience with it?

dino

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
London
Hi. No experience with the player, but it would certainly sound much better with a high quality dac, using the MF as transport only if it has provision for this. If your looking for a dac, why not consider one with USB. Computer audio is extremely good. As I write Im listening to Bob Marleys legend in FLAC and it sounds fantastic even though the recording itself is quite old. Modern recordings sound fantastic. The cd function of my AMR gets rarely used these days.

KND

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 5, 2013
P'bo UK
AKA
Karl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes the X-ray has an output to use an outboard DAC.

The Musical Fidelity M1 DAC has caught my eye. Though I do not know if the unit would be an upgrade or just a sideways step.

It has plenty of inputs including USB although I would not consider using a computer as a source as I don't like involving computers with things they can be kept out of... :D

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Many moons ago I had an X-Ray, it sounded a LOT better when I added a Tri-Vista DAC. Well worth looking at one of those. The Tri-Vista was one of MF's better products IMO.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
The Tri-Vista was one of MF's better products IMO.
Have to agree. :^

It became de rigueur to diss MF at the time due to their ridiculous claims and huge discounts on old stock but the Trivista DAC was a really good bit of kit. Not sure how it stacks up against modern DACs but at used prices it's well worth a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online